Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Mixed Reception And Year 1 Class

Hello everyone,

Hope those of you that work in schools have had a restful summer.

I am looking for some help as I have a mixed reception and year 1 class this year. I have tried to find a planning format that would incorprate eyfs and nc, but as yet have been unlucky.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice on teaching this type of mixed class and / or has a past plan etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Jane x

Hello,

I'm new to this so hope it works! I start on Monday teaching mixed rec/yr 1 so have been really unsure how to plan for it too to make sure Year 1 get their entitlement but it's also still play based!

I don't know if I've done it right but what I've ended up doing is using the Year 1 literacy and numeracy topics e.g. Traditional and Fairy Tales and selecting EYFS objectives that fit in with the topic and focused activities. Basically simplifying what Year 1 will be doing and including lots of play for both years! Don't know if this is any help any advice anyone else has would help me lots too!

Good luck!

S x :o

Hello everyone,

Hope those of you that work in schools have had a restful summer.

I am looking for some help as I have a mixed reception and year 1 class this year. I have tried to find a planning format that would incorprate eyfs and nc, but as yet have been unlucky.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice on teaching this type of mixed class and / or has a past plan etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Jane x

Hi Jane

I have got a child initiated planner here that starts with the 6 areas of learning in the first column. I am working with a school at the moment who are using it form Nursery to Y2 in Y1 and Y2 we have amended that first column to show National Curriculum and DM's. It was simple to do and because the planning is 'theme' based rather than 'topic led' it is MUCH easier than trying to match DM's or profile points with NC objectives.

If you think it might be useful or would like me to explain it further then please drop me a personal message here or email me at alistair@abcdoes.com

Alistair

abc does

Hi!

I'm not really new but haven't been on here for quite a while!! I'm also starting in a reception/year 1 class, with 5 year 1 children. There is a year 1/year 2 class but the year 1's I have in my reception class were not ready to go into the year 1/year 2 class this year.

Planning for these 5 year 1 children is something that I still haven't got my head around!!! I too want to ensure they learn through the play based approach of the EYFS like the other reception children but I'm not sure how much the year 1 children are expected to do in terms of adult led activities, writing, reading, literacy, numeracy, etc and how to go about ensuring they get taught what they need but through play based activities.

Also finding it hard to try and organise my weekly planning to ensure that there is always one adult observing and supporting child-initiated play whilst also doing adult led activities with reception children and doing a focused teaching/adult led activity with the year 1 children!!!!!

Would be very grateful if anyone could share how they manage it and what you do to ensure this happens.

ssweeney86 how do you plan your week and organise your days?

Hi Char,

I feel exactly the same, so glad Im not the only one! I have 4 Y1s and the rest are in a mixed Y1/2 class. Maybe we could swap timetables and see if it looks similar? May just be the blind leading the blind though I'm afraid!

S x

Also finding it hard to try and organise my weekly planning to ensure that there is always one adult observing and supporting child-initiated play whilst also doing adult led activities with reception children and doing a focused teaching/adult led activity with the year 1 children!!!!!

Have you thought about splitting you CI time away from your adult led time? There are quite a few people on the forum who do t his. So during one short session every child in the class will be doing either an adult led activity or an independent, but still adult planned, activity. Then later there will be CI time for the whole class together so that al the adults can be extending the children's play or observing. This would work well with the year ones as well, as they still need that child initiated time. You could do a search for topics on this to see how it works, or perhaps someone who does it can offer advice?

Glad I'm not the only one too!!!

I haven't yet got a set timetable in place as yet- last minute tweaks with ppa time, pe slots, etc but I have thought of a rough idea of how things may work.

For the first few weeks it will be basically settling in for the new reception children (staggered intake so will prob last until end of Sept). During these weeks i was thinking of doing a CLL carpet session and PRSN carpet session in the morning (quite brief to begin with) and then one after lunch (based on other area of learning depending on what comes up). As for adult led activities, Im thinking of doing an adult led activity for both CLL and PRSN each day- same activity over the week and making sure each child does the activity at some point during the week during the CLL or PRSN time. The year 1's will also do a CLL and PRSN adult led activity but will do one each day focusing on either writing, handwriting, reading and a different area of PRSN. I will either set the year 1's off with an activity and they carry on with it independently whilst me or the TA do the adult led activity with the reception children or TA or myself will do activity with the Year 1's and then when they have finished, do activity with reception children. That way one of us is working with groups/inidividual children whilst other is supporting CI.

Later on in the year, I was thinking that maybe I could follow similar format but children in groups, so that there will be one group of reception children doing adult led activity, year 1 group doing a specific focused task and the other reception groups having adult focused time independently carrying out activities either related to CLL or PRSN (for about 15mins) then all children access CI play.

This just an idea so far, I have no idea if this is what I will do or if it will actually happen, but the plan is there!!! I'm still not sure if this is ok or if it will work- not sure if reception children will be getting to much/too little CLL/PRSN or adult directed/CI play time or whether more or less is expected of the year 1's!!! Think I will just have to see how it all goes and go with the flow!!!

Does this sound similar to anyone elses experiences or ideas? Hope it makes sense, but like I said it is just an idea in my head at the moment!!!

Have you thought about splitting you CI time away from your adult led time? There are quite a few people on the forum who do t his. So during one short session every child in the class will be doing either an adult led activity or an independent, but still adult planned, activity. Then later there will be CI time for the whole class together so that al the adults can be extending the children's play or observing. This would work well with the year ones as well, as they still need that child initiated time. You could do a search for topics on this to see how it works, or perhaps someone who does it can offer advice?

Think you read my mind!!!! That's something I had thought about doing- but maybe after half term or poss after xmas once the reception children have completely settled and I know exactly where they are at and they can focus on activities for longer periods of time and independently too.

Thanks for the advice so far :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)