Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Puzzled By Adult Behaviour

KazzE

We held a training event recently, our key speaker was Ann Whittle who was talking about 'brain gym' and how touch and movement can help learning

unfortunatley I missed most of her speach and her workshop

the thing that is puzzling me is that two grown women left Ann's workshop in what I can only decribe as distress, they were genuinely very upset,

from what I could gather it was references to yoga, kinesology (?) and 'taking yourself out of your body' and hand movements that to me were like an indian dance movement

most of the other delegates were facinated by this workshop and cross that it was ruined for them by one of the women being very rude to Ann before they both left the workshop

can anybody shed light on why they would be so upset by yoga or kinesology?

i do know that they both have very strong christian beliefs

many thanks

Karen

Guest Beryl

Kazz,

Obviously, I can't speak for these two women, but I think if they hold christian beliefs they may well have a problem with yoga, I don't know about kinesology.

Yoga is strongly linked to Hinduism and achieving a state of higher conciousness, linking with the "universal spirit" that Hindus call "god". Although many people would just see it as a form of exercise and relaxation, because of its origins many Christians would not practice yoga and would probably be upset at the thought of yoga in some form being taught to children in schools, as, in their mind, it is practicing Hinduism in some form.

It is one thing to teach children about other religions, but to practice religion is different and parental permission should be sought. Just as some parents object to their children being part of christian worship, christian parents may object to their children being part of anything that could be considered as worship of a god of another religion.

Even if these women disagreed with what was being said, it is a shame that they were rude to the speaker.

I hope this helps, I'm sure that there are others out there who know more about this than me!

I agree with you Beryl. It was extremely rude to disrupt the session in that way.

It was also rather one-sided and judgmental of them, I feel. I am a practising Christian, but have a very keen interest in other faiths and cultures. There is no 'right' way, just what is right for individuals, in my humble opinion. I have also practised yoga for years (until my recent dislocating adventures led me to being advised to stop :o ) and have had no problems of conscience.

Just adding my bit!!

Sue :)

thanks for the reply - sorry for late response been busy

i think you are right it seems to be the suggestion of a universal spirit rather (or instead of) 'god' but they should be more open imo to learning about other cultures and beliefs without getting upset by what they call mystical influences

nobody was trying to get them to do or believe in anything

I find it very sad that two people who work with children (and are excellent with them) can be so intolerent of another person