Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Evening Tonight-need Supportive Comments Please

Would it be acceptable to forwarn him I would like a copy of : behaviour policy, medication policy, complaints proceedure, care plan for Laura or ask for them at the appointment.

Biccy, I'm sorry you're in such a horrible situation. It's not just you, you're not over-reacting and if you're being labelled a problem parent, maybe this gives us all an opportunity to reflect on the situations behind what we ourselves may label problem parents. You have every right to be continuing this and not draw a flipping line under it... :o

I think it would be a good idea to ask for the policies in advance as this might mean you sort it out quicker, with fewer meetings and he might be able to highlight for you what he sees as the relevant bits before you take them away to read in more depth.

Keep going and being strong with this - it's really impressive that you keep reiterating the possibility that Laura's not without fault and how you're fully supportive of any behaviour issues there may be - I think it really emphasises the fact that you are NOT a problem parent, but incredibly reasonable!

Let us know what happens.

Lots of love xxxx

Emma x

Thanks. I've been on the school web site and deep deep down were the policies although one was dated March 2003! I wonder if OFSTED would have spotted that :o Food for thought especially what the children can expect from their teachers under' Classroom management expectations'

Reading these posts It really leaps out at me that you do not know what the inappropriate use of the inhaler was. If the teacher had been upfront with exact details then this could have been dealt with in an open and mutually supportive way. I particularly dislike the suggestion of the line being drawn. For whose benefit I wonder?

Reading these posts It really leaps out at me that you do not know what the inappropriate use of the inhaler was. If the teacher had been upfront with exact details then this could have been dealt with in an open and mutually supportive way. I particularly dislike the suggestion of the line being drawn. For whose benefit I wonder?

I agree with this, what exactly was the 'inappropriate' use supposed to be? Was it the test squirt? (and who has said this to you, Laura or the teacher?) If so why is a test squirt 'inappropriate'? If you haven't been told perhaps approach it from the "I need to know so I can tell my daughter what she needs to do next time" direction, then if it turns out their explanation is unreasonable you can take it further.

I wonder what either of the teachers would have said if you had needed to use an inhaler in front of them and done a test squirt!? The lack of information about your daughter's apparent innappropriate use sounds like a cover up to me.

Both my sons and I have asthma, not as severe as Laura's, but we all need access to our inhalers when we need them: elder son (14 yrs) has a form with the school office to say he carries his inhaler and will use it when he needs it (and the new PE kit has cool zipped pockets in the shorts, trousers and tracksuit jacket to make it safe and easy to carry his inhaler on the school field), he has never had a teacher tell him off for using it; I have my inhaler in my handbag at work or in my pocket if I'm feeling bad; younger son (age 7) has his inhaler stored in the school office.

Now, I don't feel that's ideal so discussed it with the school, their rationale is that when the children are too young to self-administer it's better that the inhalers are kept in a central location so the kids can get to them at playtime/lunchtime etc as well as lessons rather than them being stuck in a classroom with no-one in it. Someone accompanies the child going to the office for the inhaler and he gets it whenever he needs it.