Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

Need to let off steam with those that will understand.

Just had OFSTED but feel it was a real grilling. Two inspectors came for one and half days. Kept manager and myself in office for hours. My side is education and inspector took my planning away and my audit and then proceeded to audit it even further (I don't break down the learning experiences into colours of stepping stones, she did. I only break down into clusters to ensure we deliver a broad curriculum). She was vey pleased with SEN and said it was a strength. Can't go into too much detail as management have only had feedback yesterday and we have not fed back to staff yet. Obviously information is confidential at this stage!Can't help but kick myself that I did not have evidence for every part of 6 areas to hand, eg. linking letters to sound, calculation & problem solving and healthy practices.

My advice is have evidence (planning, photographs) for all clusters of areas of learning. I wish I had set up a file for foundation stage with headings of each cluster and photos underneath to show how we meet each cluster of each area.

Just want to say Aarrgh! That was mine and rest of staff team's first combined inspection. Other staff members have been through social services inspections and I feel they did not expect this, even though they were warned. We had lots of positive parts to the report but I think they will be disappointed in action points. I certainly am!

Looking forward to seeing them again in 3-4 years time, now I know what to fully expect.

Hi there,

Yes, it's a bit of an eye opener with some of them, isn't it! I know what you mean about kicking yourself! Our recommendation was to develop the music aspect of the curriculum further - for the first week in ages we didn't have music planned into the day, even though the resources are always there in the music area for the children to access!

But as you say you look forward to seeing them in 3-4 years time, it can't have been too bad :o

Sue :D

I know what I need to improve. Manager, myself and Early Years adviser getting together before my easter hols to write action plan.

My performance management target is to develop my team leadership role further, as this is such a big part of the job. I have found it so different to working in a classroom and did struggle with this last year. I have been in this particular post for one and half years. Now I need to help the team improve in one particular area and use these leadership skills I have been developing to do this effectively.

Think I need to stop worrying about it and start being proactive.

Thanks.

Leedwa,

Well done on surviving the OFSTED! :D My problem with the whole providing evidence bit is when am I meant to get the chance to do all this extra work? I would rather spend my time planning and preparing the actual activities than get bogged down with needless paperwork designed to show I'm doing my job right. :o

Very true. When we have staff members off (we have three off long termish), itt affects everyone. Staff don't get non-contact time to update files, I don't get my time, especially when I try to ensure staff get some time and I cover for that (over dinners and my SEN non-contact time).

I just felt I wanted to show the good work that the whole staff team are doing. The inspectors were very nice and knowledgable people and I am glad PSED and partnership with parents were strengths as we deal with children and families that can be quite vunerable (sp!). I think I was feeling very sensitive this morning, as can be seen by my number of posts. We do need external inspections as well as our own reflective practice.

Moaning over.

The very fact that you have felt disappointed in not being fully prepared for Ofsted, regards evidence, shows that you are "passionate" about your job, and it is through this passion that you have been successful in your job.

All credit to you and your team for the many positive aspects of your inspection :D and all credit to you for taking on board your areas for action. The tone of your post shows that you appear to be motivated to get on with your action points and further develop what is a quality practice ( 3-4yrs), instead of being demotivated and resentful of the inspectors findings. ( this is how many people feel after inspection- even successful ones).

Thank you for sharing what you have learnt from your experience and advising us of what inspectors are looking for.

I do agree that we do need external inspections ( even though mine was a very bad experience) as well as our own reflective practice. Although we moan about Ofsted, they have actually enabled the whole sector to improve and develop.

Now you've had your moan, pat yourselves on the back and enjoy the sense of achievement you all deserve to feel.

Peggy