Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Interview

i have just been invited for an interview for a manager's post, but i haven't done this for so long i am panicing!!!!!

i have to do a 'holistic' activity including another member of staff and I CAN'T THINK OF ANY THING!

(and a written paper)

HELP Please

Edited by Bopeep

hi Bopeep,

Can you tell us a bit more-what kind of setting is it? do you know how many children you will have and what ages of children?

How long does activity need to be? Unsworth

so far all i know is a short holistic activity for a group 3-5 year, and i have to direct another member of staff, explaining EYSF, next steps etc?

How about something sciencey? A hands on, investigative shared activity would allow you to lead the member of staff with details about all the six areas of learning. Maybe taking in some really interesting materials like pine cones, witheys, teazels, etc. in fact, anything you can find naturally or in that section at the garden centre! You could develop the children's language, creative ideas (especially if you create a collective piece of 3D artwork), fine motor skills, comparing lengths. You could show your skills in developing the children's H&S awareness (teasels are very prickly!), and help them to share and work together on the 3D piece. :o

Thanks for suggestion Helen,

I am being to feel a bit calmer now and can think a bit.

I had thought of science stuff or messy ( about 3 o'clock this morning)

maybe sand OR i could incorporate your idea of natural bits in it. Would it be better to have something that has no finished product? Especially as I don’t know how long the session will be, so the more open ended the better?

There would be alot of language and problem solving, KUW and as you said H&S too.

Now i am panicking about the written bit. I am going to have to do some homework!!!

oh goodness maybe i am just too old for this lark!

ok, so- before you rush off a) spending a fortune and :o planning a fabulious activity with an end product- look at the second part of your task...

i have to direct another member of staff, explaining EYSF, next steps etc?

you are going for a managers position; they want to see how you interact with the staff, your knowledge and understanding of EYFS and how you help and support your staff in the implementation of the EYFS the activity is a tool for them to observe this.

The activity is important for the children, but its important that you choose an activity that enables you to show the above. Think of an activity that you can set up quickly and easily, I suggest you use what they have there rather than something new to the children or you'll be innunadated and the task will be lost in a melee of children!

Ensure you are confident in your understanding of holistic play and the EYFS.