Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For After School Club

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

I have been reading topics for pre-schools and schools etc on planning but they were all too technical. how do you plan, and how do you incorporate requirements of EYFS into a plan for everyone. Wev are still struggling with this one. We have up to 30 children a day aged 4 to 12 - up to 6 of these will be EYFS. I know that we are suposed to plan from children's interests, but my feeling is that children don't always know in advance what they will be interested in. also I need to keep older children motivated, and active.

so, do you use topics, adult-directed activities, all child-initiated. And sample planning sheets would be nice. I will post mine when done.

Oh and we have an ex- school gym as our premises with no outside space. Although on Friday all the children wre taken out to dig for buried treasure on the very old rubbish dump outside our setting. They came back with glass jars, broken crockery and even bones. We are happy that these bones are old enough to be clean (and we wash hands when we get in [filthy]). Just realised another retrospective risk assessment needed!!! Monday we are washing all the treasure.

My afterschool club staff have plans that "SHOW AN AWARENESS" of the foundation stage............

They don't plan for the EYFS children as such.

After a long day some children just need to chill in after school club and whilst we have plans that show for instance which areas the building blocks or the dance class might cover we place no pressure on any child to take up these opportunities.

We were inspected as a private concern in May 2008 and then with the school inspection in Feb 2009 and both times very nice things were said about the afterschool club provision!

Hope this helps x

Guest jenpercy
My afterschool club staff have plans that "SHOW AN AWARENESS" of the foundation stage............

They don't plan for the EYFS children as such.

After a long day some children just need to chill in after school club and whilst we have plans that show for instance which areas the building blocks or the dance class might cover we place no pressure on any child to take up these opportunities.

We were inspected as a private concern in May 2008 and then with the school inspection in Feb 2009 and both times very nice things were said about the afterschool club provision!

Hope this helps x

yes but how do you show an awareness. we were failed in April for not being able to show that we were planning next steps for EYFS. Can you give example

Guest Spiral

Maybe link it into what they are doing at school? Is the school able to give you an end of day summary for these children - just a post it about what they have been doing or even a 2 min chat?

As a next step, you can state that you are planning to further how they show you what they are doing/liking - for instance if Joe brings in his star wars Jedi, you could plan to make Star wars cheese straws (like lightsabre's)or you could plan to make a junk model of Darth Vader.

Of course, Joe will probably come in and want to play football that week, but the planning is there for Ofsted and another child will end up doing the Star Wars stuff and loving it (and you'll end up planning for them)!

Good luck, hope that helps,

Spiral

we keep photos of all the children's activities in a scrap book this shows the areas we have set up in our plans are used and the child led activities. this of course is a round about way of evidence of their next steps. in our weekly planning for playgroup we have a look listen and note blank space where we jot down anything we note the children doing across pg and osc and plan for this accordingly.

I agree with scarletangel they need to relax after school and that needs to be in your plans . our 3 yr olds are tired after school they have been busy all day in nursery so we plan for a snack and a story with a responsive adult , a little fresh air TV if they want it , plus all the usual areas that is planning for their individual needs at that time of day .

it is their choice health and well being is part of the eyfs push push push will give you fried children I'm sure Ofsted can understand that

sue

Guest Spiral

Can't agree more- children are definitely needing to rest and relax, then get up and jump about, but all at their own pace.

Maybe making a smaller version of the Learning journey would help - a scrapbook style one that has a couple of photos and some bits added by the children too, but nothing too intense.

I think I would be writing up a statement in the prospectus which would help the parents/Ofsted to understand how the children lead the planning and that it is recognised that the children are tired and require a little 'space' sometimes.

Spiral

Guest jenpercy

2 of our schools have given us general goals from their profiles. I have asked for newsletters. i have asked to be told what they are actually doing in school. No success so far. Can't tlak to the teacher when picking up 3 EYFS and another 5 children from different locations round school.

So far finding out what they like to do hasn't produced much info. Run around!!!! Oh and some of them love cooking

Anyone else thnik that it will all turn round one day and OFSTED will say why do you only give them more of the same - you should be stretching their horizons.

As a matter of fact what I see coming out of the schools doesn't look much like individual plannnig either. It looks suspiciously like whole class plans - at least the stuff they send home which is almost identical for 2 very different children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)