Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pesona Dolls

our pre school have just welcomed 2 new persona dolls and i'm after some advice for ideas on backgrounds i have the little book of person dolls so have some ideas but i don't want to go over the top! we have borrowed a persona doll called luke who has epilepsy and wears a special skull cap very similar to a child in our care we have found him a valuable tool to talk to all the children and they even shout to an adult if they find Luke on the floor saying come and help him as he is having a seizure! our new dolls are a mixed parentage girl and a european boy, we were very lucky to be given the money from a grant application from essex county council our second in 2 years it really is worth applying for grants if they are there :o

does anyone else have persona dolls and what background do they have?

My childminding group purchased 2 dolls about a year ago with some funding and I went on a course on how to use them. We can all use them with whatever personalities we like but I have chosen a little boy from Kenya called Matu and a european girl. I took advise from Babette Brown herself on which ones to get etc.....she said as I come from a predominantly white area I should have at least one white doll so as not to be offering the children anything which is too unfamiliar to them.

To be honest we've not really used the girl but they all absolutly adore Matu. I chose Kenya as my family visits there a lot so I knew I could get a steady supply of resources, photos etc... to use. The children are always asking when he's coming to visit next and remember so much about his visits. One of my children (3yrs) commented the other day on a lady we saw carrying her baby in a sling on her front, she said 'look at her, in Kenya the mummys carry their babies on their backs don't they!

I'm so impressed with how much respect they have for him and how they treat him like a real boy.

Where did you purchase the special helmet from? We could only get basic stuff like a pair of glasses from the place we bought ours from.

After Babettes advice I think i will be sticking to a very familiar persona for the little girl. Prehaps focusing more on behavioural/social issues with her and not the multicultural like with Matu. The course I went on recommended that you follow the childrens lead and let the dolls persona develop as you need it too, teaching the children about things which are relevant. So if a child finds out they need to wear glasses you could do something on that, biting- the doll could either be the biter or the bitten, starting school, any situation that you want the children to explore. But if its a more familiar persona they can prehaps relate to it more?

I think they're fantastic resource but no one in my nearly 30 strong group ever borrows them!

Marie

Marie

I've just borrowed one from my toy library and am a bit tentative on how best to use her. The one child who is really interested in her wants to play with her like a doll - should they only be used by the adult to explore issues or is it ok for the child to use freely? The group of children I would mainly use her with are only between 2-3, I'd be interested to hear what others have tried with this age range

Where did you purchase the special helmet from? We could only get basic stuff like a pair of glasses from the place we bought ours from.

i made it out of feltand card! after asking around various places i didn't get very far so this was my only option!