Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Table Top Activities

Hello,

I am trying to plan a lesson observation in addition. I need some table top activities that the children can child initiate preferably with the addition/ adding theme to consolidate understanding.

Thank you.....Sarah

What about having some dice for the children to roll with a friend and count how many spots each and how many altogether, or add in some objects rather than counting the dots - roll, count out set of objects to match, partner repeats and then count how many altogether.

Grab is always a fun game and children can play on their own or with a friend - have a pile of objects (like dinosaurs, mini vehicles, compare bears etc) and, if playing on their own, the children grab a handful in each hand and count how many altogether, or if playing with a friend each child grabs one handful each. You can differentiate this as well - children who are good counters could be given smaller objects and so will have more to count, children who are less able could use large objects so then they grab less and so don't have to count as high.

With very able children I've done a table top independent activity where I've written 2 legs, 4 legs, 6 legs, 8 legs and so on up to about 20 legs on paper plates. Then I've put out a selection of toy people, animals and minibeasts and the children have to work out the combination of people, animals and minibeasts which make that total number of legs. Its a really good problem solving activity that makes them think! The children do need to have good number recognition for this one though.

With very able children I've done a table top independent activity where I've written 2 legs, 4 legs, 6 legs, 8 legs and so on up to about 20 legs on paper plates. Then I've put out a selection of toy people, animals and minibeasts and the children have to work out the combination of people, animals and minibeasts which make that total number of legs. Its a really good problem solving activity that makes them think! The children do need to have good number recognition for this one though.

I love this idea! Definitely be using this with my year ones, I think it will be a fab problem solving activity. I just hope there are some plastic minibeasts in our badly resourced school... I'm not holding out hope :o

I love this idea! Definitely be using this with my year ones, I think it will be a fab problem solving activity. I just hope there are some plastic minibeasts in our badly resourced school... I'm not holding out hope :o

Loved this idea also......even done it for my observation...which went well............also had to borrow resources from around school!!

I used a ladybird. Children are able to add and remove spots. So they see how many on each side then add how many altogether.

Also you could use playdough with bus mats pretending they are passengers on the bus.

Fishing game. Children fish two numbers out and add them together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)