Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Ppa

Hey everyone,

In my school our PPA time is covered by a TA (who basically 'controls' the children) and then 2 teachers - 1 for gymnastics and 1 for Spanish. At the end of the day the TA is alone with the children and releases them to the appropriate 'grown-ups'. My PPA is in the afternoon and the following morning one of the dad's of child came to see me saying that he was a little late to pick up his child yesterday and he found him walking in the ROAD outside of school. :o

I felt awful! I explained that it was PPA and that the TA was qualified and that it would be dealt with etc but I felt so so so bad.

Luckily, the family have been OK with it (which I am well surprised at as I would have been fuming if it was mine!).

The only problem I have now is....

I have told the SMT about the incident and was told to speak to the person about it myself, which I did. The only problem was, there was always an excuse! This boy has only been in school for 10 days and she told me that it was his fault! I was gobsmacked! Needless to say her responses got reported to the SMT but I just couldn't believe it!

I can understand her being a little shocked that this would happen, as she is totally lovely, but I was still shocked!

I nearly cried when I found out... even tho I had nothing to do with it!

Sorry for my little ... rant!

Hope everyone has had a good week! Sam x

We always have 2 adults in the room when the children are going home, even if it means someone popping in for the last 5 mins from their normal job (further up the school), so that one adult is at the door to call the children's names and the other is on the carpet watching that only the children who have been called leave the area. We are in Nursery and we finish our PPA so that we are back in the room with our children when they are going out of the classroom, and the reception teacher does the same.

Cath

We are in a slightly different situation as we are two classes that are run by two TAs and a teacher during PPA time so at home time the teacher sees out one class and the two TAs, the other class. At this time of year though when the children are still getting used to the routine we come back at going home time to help see the children out. I think next week might be the first week where we'll see how they get on without us there. Mind you our children sit on the carpet and they are only allowed to come to the door when I've called their name so it is a case of one out at a time and although this takes longer it is a lot less stressful as I know every child is going to the right person.

I have covered PPA in reception at the end of the day and I always had extra support for the leaving.I think I would refused to cover PPA without the extra support as my level of pay does not reflect that level of responsiblity for 30 children.Most of the teachers I have covered have returned for the last 5 mins. My support is with the TA who I'm sure feels terrible (1)that the child left (2) that she was left in a position where she was not supported at a difficult time especially so early in the school year.

Edited by Guest