Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Targets

Hi

My SMT have decided we need in FS to have a target display on the wall, with every childs targets- does anyone do this? Please could you tell me how you do this so that it is positive and looks good. Also does a whole class work towards one target? Or does each child have their own target? Please help Im confused! Thank you xxx

We were asked to put up targets so we came up with the idea of a general one for PSRN, L&S and Writing each term which we display in the classroom and we differentiate on asheet divided into 3 with a development matters statement for relevant children in those areas I hope that makes sense

Carmad

Ive got to give my children targets but have come to the compromise that this terms will just be psed, they will be individual written (and discussed) on a target card. They will have short target completion dates, not in line with ks1 and 2 who have a target running for about a half term.

Im not overly keen on the idea so am keeping it as low key as possible!!! lol! x

I read in some official document recently that target setting was from Year 1 upwards. There is also an emphasis on not putting pressure on these very young children in terms of target setting. Next steps is a much more appropriate term to use with young children. We should be observing, assessing and then planning their next steps. This is the correct terminology and in line with EYFS principles.

heyjude I am with you on this if there are targets in the school for FS then they are for the adults and NOT for the children. All areas of development matters have the same weighting in Fs so individual targets are just not appropriate!

Putting them on the wall will mean nothing for children this young 4 - 5 years old even if they can read them!

SMT's who ask teachers to do this really do not have any understanding of EYFS. Sorry Lucie Carmad and Blossom!

Hi

I too have to have taregts as part of layered curriculum targets throughout the school. We are asked to display Writing, reading and numeracy targets and need to have three differentiated targets for each of these areas. The targets also need to be illustrated so the children can see pictorially what they need to do to achieve the target. Once we have children's work showing the taregt being met, we add this to the display. We display a photo of every child on the target they have achieved and the children move thier photo onto the next target when it has been achieved. They love showing us that they have achieved thier target and moving their photo.

• 1 month later...

We are being asked to put targets for FS on the wall in a visual format by senior management. I have a problem with such young children feeling we are needing them to constantly be heading towards the next target and also the possibility of parents comparing where children are - surely that is a matter of privacy. I know my experience of EY education is that often children who have appeared to securely reached a target actually seem to go backwards whilst trying to make sense of another part of learning. Are we going to make them move their photo back down the target sheet? Learning is so fluid at this age. I prefer to think we are nurturing them along their own individual road of learning and development than pushing them down a road of our choosing. It's a fine line but I'm not convinced that sharing targets is helpful or ethical.

I'd love to hear what other people think.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)