Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Several Questions About Fs1

Hi again

I am new on the forum and new in the UK...very stressfull to start a new job in english (I am French)

I will be teaching in Foundation stage 1 from next week (already!!!)

Here are some questions about your practice, to see what else is done and get more ideas:

Do you have a proper time in your timetable for physical activities?

if yes, do you use a special room for that, just your classroom or outdoor?

How many different activities do you prepare and offer to children per day? per week?

How may are adults led and how many are autonomous?

How long do they last for?

Do you "force" the children to do the led activities or do you let them free to choose what they want to do?

How do you get a record of what has been done or not by every child?

Do you do MFL activities in your class?

If yes, what are you doing? (songs? nursery rhymes?...)

Could you give me an example of a normal day in your class.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but for what I have seen (not much yet) things are quite different from my practice in France and although that is a reason why I have been offered the job (to add my different experience) I don't want to be too different from the rest of my colleagues and don't want the teaching assistants to dislike me (I know most people don't like changes)

To share my experience and skills, if anyone needs some help to teach some French, just ask me, i ahve lots of resources and can help!

Thanks

Emma

Do you have a proper time in your timetable for physical activities?

:o No, it should be part of their normal activity, outdoor time usually, but if weather was really bad, you could plan to do an indoor obstacle course, or action songs etc to ensure they had access to some physical activities.

if yes, do you use a special room for that, just your classroom or outdoor?

How many different activities do you prepare and offer to children per day? per week?

How may are adults led and how many are autonomous?

How long do they last for?

Do you "force" the children to do the led activities or do you let them free to choose what they want to do?

xD Generally you can't make children do the led activities, but if you were noticing that in not doing so they were disadvantaging themselves from areas of the curriculum, you would have to work at planning for them individually to ensure their needs are being met in an alternative way and a way that interests them, so for example if Freddy never joins in when the activity is painting related, but freddy always plays with cars, you could plan an activity using car wheels in paint, then perhaps taking it a stage further outdoors using ride ons, enourmous paper and paint etc.

How do you get a record of what has been done or not by every child?

:( Observations should be cross-referenced to the curriculum to ensure they are accessing all areas.

Do you do MFL activities in your class?

If yes, what are you doing? (songs? nursery rhymes?...)

Could you give me an example of a normal day in your class.

:( I haven't answered everything as some of them I don't know yet either!! I introduced myself in your other thread, but welcome again

Clare xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)