Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Temperature

hi all

new to this so hope i get it right!!!!

our dilema is our nursery is SOOOOO!!!!!! hot but we have hugh windows so people can see in, the chidlren spent the day in just nappies but i became concerned as people could see in safegaurding children and all that.

then the other girls are having a panic as the temp so high IS there a maximum temp acceptable before you send children home as with in the winter if it's too low.

does anyone have any summer policies?? we have signed consent for the children to participate in water play in just nappies and pants

so frustrating we have to even do all this the simple thing is they are hot and should just be able to trot around in pants and be comfortable

what do you think can anyone offer advice??

look forward to some feedback

kidslh :o

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about people seeing children in just their nappies, they do have something on. We have all windows open and fans on the go, so actually the indoors has been ok..............................outside we have a great big gazebo up, and lots of shady spaces to play, but the children have preferred going back inside to cool down! Don't know about max temps, I'm afraid, but it's trying to start a storm here, so maybe it will brak the heat and cool things down...................here's hoping

Hi Kidslh and a warm welcome to the forum! :o

Your question made me laugh as my 13 yr old daughter asked me the same question (sorry couldn't answer her either). Later I found her on google trying desperately to find some reason to get out of P.E. today. xD

I agree with Narnia........your children are appropriately dressed so I wouldn't worry about what people think. The issue with people seeing in your windows........can you screen it to give yourselves some privacy?

reminds me of a time when I had an Ofsted Inspector on my premises (not an Inspection) and one of the children (a girl aged 4 yrs) was playing wearing just her skirt and no top on because she was hot. The Inspector queried whether I thought it was appropriatte dress and inferred safeguarding as an issue. I disagreed (as I would xD ) and stated the reason for her lack of clothing. Anyway I discussed this with the staff and we decided that the swimming pool and the beach is full of children wearing less and that the Inspectors comments were a bit OTT.

Sorry can't answer your query.

I was also at a meeting on Monday at my sons secondary school, an old building, the classroom we were in had two small skylight (top opener) windows, one opened about 3 inches, the other didn't open due to being over painted. :(

The room was very poorly ventilated and there was no fan. As you can imagine it was scorching.

Is there not anything written in the care standards about appropriatte ventilation? (not sure as I haven't been in a setting since 2007)

I used to do lots of ice and water play. Hot, stiffled children are definately not happy children. :o

Peggy

found THIS from HSE site. It is relevant to 'workers / employees' working conditions but doesn't actually state what to do if a 'comfortable temperature' (requirement under law) is not maintained. :o

Peggy

We decided to have a 'beach' theme in the garden at our pre-school all this week! It has been fantastic. We put up a gazebo, filled a paddling pool with water and added a small slide. We had inflatable balls, rubber rings and air beds stewn around the garden along with our huge sandpit and an area of blue netting covered with items you would find at a beach along with sea side books etc. We asked the parents to bring in a named costume and towel each day they came and we purchased 'swimming pull ups' for our little ones! No one has mentioned 'child protection' issues as changing etc is done mostly by the children themselves, So what's the difference if children are running round in underwear and nappies instead? :o

dottyp