Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation For Interview

Hi there,

I have managed to secure an interview for a job in a school I supply in! :o

I am being observed tomorrow when I will be working with a large group (Y1/2) who I have worked with before and already have planned and prepared it.

However, my mind has gone blank as I can't remember what they look for when observing - which is rather silly as I used to do observations of students and trainees a few years back!

I will be doing the usual things such as stating the learning objectives, differentiating the activity, using ICT, and as I know the children already, will be demonstrating a good rapport and also using my knowledge of the children to plan and differentiate. I will also make sure that at the end of the lesson I can demonstrate how I will use assessments from their work and observation in the lesson to take the lesson on.

Is there anything I have missed - I know that they have done some work in staff meetings on taking teaching from good to outstanding - and should include /consider?

Many thanks

Hi there,

I have managed to secure an interview for a job in a school I supply in! :o

I am being observed tomorrow when I will be working with a large group (Y1/2) who I have worked with before and already have planned and prepared it.

However, my mind has gone blank as I can't remember what they look for when observing - which is rather silly as I used to do observations of students and trainees a few years back!

I will be doing the usual things such as stating the learning objectives, differentiating the activity, using ICT, and as I know the children already, will be demonstrating a good rapport and also using my knowledge of the children to plan and differentiate. I will also make sure that at the end of the lesson I can demonstrate how I will use assessments from their work and observation in the lesson to take the lesson on.

Is there anything I have missed - I know that they have done some work in staff meetings on taking teaching from good to outstanding - and should include /consider?

Many thanks

If you can include some paired discussion with the children that would be good. Don't forget to have a success critieria so that the children can self assess and show that they have made progress which is always good and remember to be yourself!

Hi just one thought, make sure that all support staff, if you have any in the class, are working with the children etc.

Good luck

cwumbs

Congratulations and good luck

As well as involving support staff throughout also make sure the support staff know what you want them to do - our TAs are always asked if they have been communicated with as to what they are expected to do throughout the lesson - it will show how good a communicator you are. Questioning - higher order thinking skills. Seeing children actively involved in their learning and enthusiastic. Targeting the different groups with specific expectations. High quality, appropriate resources.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for all your good luck wishes and excellent advice! Have made sure that I have gone through the questions that I am planning to ask and will make sure I communicated clearly with the TA beforehand with expectations during the focus and group activity.

Am just going through everything one last time before I go and have a big breakfast so my stomach doesn't rumble!

Thanks once again,

Well, tis all over - phew! It went smoothly along - no technical glitches (thankfully) and the children were super! The nerves stayed away but the tummy rumbles did start toward the end of the activity - next time will make sure I have breakfast just before I go through the door and not so early!

Interview to come in just over a weeks time so plenty of time to prepare for that one - and lots to do work wise in between!

Fingers crossed and thank once again!