Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gross Misconduct

Do we have to inform Ofsted if we dismiss a person for gross misconduct even if it doesn't involve children.

We dismissed a member of staff recently because of a breakdown of trust. :o

Thanks.

Do we have to inform Ofsted if we dismiss a person for gross misconduct even if it doesn't involve children.

We dismissed a member of staff recently because of a breakdown of trust. :o

Thanks.

im not really sure but if it was me i would anyway to cover my back!!!!

I dont have a form for Ofsted I would probably send them a letter.

More importantly make sure you have absolutely everything written in place to back up and how and why you came to that decision.

Ive heard a couple of horror stories lately where employers have been taken to court and because they failed to have adequate records the ex employees got compensation!

Makes you larf doesnt it!

Thanks.

Sharon, it's ok, we did everything by the book - appeal and everything!! It was all rather messy and horrible and now I'm mopping up, so to speak.

I will give Ofsted a call to be on the safe side - I just thought I'd ask on here as there is usually someone who knows!

I always like writing to Ofsted just to get the letter back that says "thanks - we don't need to know that" If nothing else I see it as a recognition of the fact that someone there has read the information.

You do have to let Ofsted know that a member of staff has left, but you do not have to let them know why if it has not put the children at risk. You will also have to let them know if you take on a new member.

I have changed staff more than a few over the years and as long as the paper work of references and CRB etc are all kept and up to date then Ofsted are ok about it.

It can be hard to dismiss a staff member but as long as you are doing things by the book you'll be ok