Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Born 4's ...

narnia

My LA adopted a single entry system over 10 years ago so at present all children start full time school the September after their fourth birthday. The problem I can see with the proposal is some children will be full time and some part time in the same class which many children will find unsettling and from a teaching point of view I think it will cause problems when children enter KS1 which for some children will be their first experience of full time school. That's without considering the expectations KS1 have for skills and knowledge ...

I agree with heleng, my summer born children have one term with me before going to a formal year 1. Currently due to our very popular nursery it could and can happen that children move from pre school to nursery and then onto reception in one school year with a six week break before hitting year 1! It doesn't matter how good your transition policy is or how good the continuity between settings is these children are still having too many transitions, too many changes of room, more children and adults and routines to learn and adapt too.

I also think that in Suffolk it is ridiculous that there is not one consistent approach and that schools within clusters, and that are actually a two miles down the road have different entry points.

I have worked within both systems, single term entry and three term entry and there are always children that adapt well and those that don't. However I do feel my autumn term children are at a huge advantage and I am concerned that the other children and their parents feel they are playing catch up. This term in a two form reception these children have enjoyed the EYFS with free flow access indoors and outdoors and ratio of 1 adult to 6.6 children!!!

Next term however there will be 45 children spread between 2 classes ohh and that rises to 60 after Easter.

S