Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Memories

From about age 14 I took my younger sister and her friends ( 3 of them sometimes) on youth hostelling holidays. We would get a bus to the area then spend a week walking / exploring and staying at YHs before catching the bus back home.

We also had several family holidays youth hostelling but most were seaside caravan holidays.

Al

I moved abroad when I was 15 to Sardinia. I was the only english girl in the village. We used to go to what we would probably call barn dances. We would drive 2 hours to hear an accordian player who was meant to be famous. he would play in a barn and there would be 100+ people come from miles around to dance and listen to him.

My father had friends from the war in Italy and I went holiday to them for the first time in 1961 I was 6. We would spend days walking around and just being outside. Trying to knock walnuts of the trees with sticks then eating them, chasing lizards. Now we are all in our 50's and we often reminiss (can't spell any more) about our days in the fields, just hanging around. Unfortunately now all the fields are gone and its just concrete and cement.

OHHHHH that makes me think of a song that came out in the 60's called concrete and cement, about a boy that left home and when he came back the fields were all gone.

So it was happening even then!!!!!

At the moment we still have our parents alive so we still have them to tell us the stories of their youth.

I keep saying that I will write down my dads stories of his days during the war and the years when I first went out to Italy as a child. My parents saved all year to take us their for 2 weeks. we had a Dormobil caravan and camped on the way, it took us 4 days to get there. We can do it in 2 now good memories