Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

oakley40

Hi,

As we are approaching the end of term and most of us are deciding on our planning formats and ideas i have found a usefull link on an essex website. There are some great ideas/formats for planning. Have recently been on a course too showing some good ideas for short term planning will try to upload the format later if anyone wants.

It may help some. Hope it does.

see link below for website for above.

www.e-gfl.org - click on the early years section.

O40

essex eyfs planning

My setting is based in Essex and we have had drop in sessions and informal meetings regarding planning, observation and EYFS training. We have found these very useful and have been given loads of advice regarding planning. Having returned from a meeting last week we were told that we were nearly there regarding planning, next steps, childrens needs on planning etc. Feeling a bit relived that we can finish for the holidays confidently that in sept. we are addressing the eyfs

Im glad this link has helped you all....

We are all in it together.

Dont know why all counties dont do the same. It would make our lives a little bit easier.........

But in our line of work its never easy, but always very rewarding......

O40

My setting is based in Essex and we have had drop in sessions and informal meetings regarding planning, observation and EYFS training. We have found these very useful and have been given loads of advice regarding planning. Having returned from a meeting last week we were told that we were nearly there regarding planning, next steps, childrens needs on planning etc. Feeling a bit relived that we can finish for the holidays confidently that in sept. we are addressing the eyfs

Interesting as I am based in Essex too have only had the 2 day training sessions and no other input at all. Luckily we work very closely with our school and the teacher there is always available for help with planning etc. I didn't even know this site existed. Essex do seem to go along the lines of if they dont hear from you they dont bother with you if something goes wrong then all the stops are pulled out. A visit from someone apart from the PSLA wouldn't go a miss now and again even if it was to tell us we are doing it right!

Just like to add my thanks for the klink to Essex Web Site. I'm based in Surrey and so far have only been confused by the Advice from them. Jan R

Can i just ask ... this is probably a stupid question as i'm getting a little bogged down with the EYFS.. but we are a sessional pre-school, 3 yr old sessions in the morning, 2 yr old sessions in the afternoon, at the moment we use the same things we get out for the 3's just altering for 2 yr old ability, just scaling down the planning... some activities are the same.. with the new EYFS are we going to have to do totally different activities to the 3 yr old sessions if we have to plan for the child...also at the moment we say what activities are going on each table and children choose what to play with.... what do we do here... do we leave these tables empty for children to choose.... sorry for so many questions just trying to get my head round it as our local authority hasn't given any info yet they say it should be ready after we go back in september...

I think we are all getting bogged down with it all! We have a mixed aged group from 2 upwards in one large hall! We put some equipment out and have just purchased two units and have two choosing tables so children can select resources. i.e construcion and markmaking .This was an action on our previous Ofsted Report. "Children should be able to select resources independently. It has worked so far and the younger ones just need help with the trays. We plan to continue with this in September and possible have two more units funding permitting. I sometimes put soething on the tables to start with but not always.

We have focus activities and just differentiate according to age/abilty we will be doing keyworker group in September for activites.

We plan to continue with this but be guided by the children too there interests. So we will have themes to start but will follow the childrens lead as well.

I think it will be a learning curve for us all and until we put it into practice we wont know what works. I am in Essex so will usin/adapting some of the plans from the links.

Not sure if its any help?

smiles

Can i just ask ... this is probably a stupid question as i'm getting a little bogged down with the EYFS.. but we are a sessional pre-school, 3 yr old sessions in the morning, 2 yr old sessions in the afternoon, at the moment we use the same things we get out for the 3's just altering for 2 yr old ability, just scaling down the planning... some activities are the same.. with the new EYFS are we going to have to do totally different activities to the 3 yr old sessions if we have to plan for the child...also at the moment we say what activities are going on each table and children choose what to play with.... what do we do here... do we leave these tables empty for children to choose.... sorry for so many questions just trying to get my head round it as our local authority hasn't given any info yet they say it should be ready after we go back in september...

I think that you have to go along the lines of there are adult led activities, child led activities (taken from their next steps planning) and group led activites that are more along the lines of there are lots of boys intoday let make sure there is something out that is going to keep them busy or there are lots of children who are still settling in lets get something out that we can sit down and play in a small group or we have found a caterpillar outside lets read the hungary caterpillar then do the jigsaw etc etc.

With the choosing I think you just need to get some child accessible storage so they are able to get something else out if they choose. We have a drawer unit that has some puzzles in, different sized and shaped paper, different types of mark making equipment, some threading bits, and a box of bits and pieces for sticking, the children can then access these if they want to and move it out onto the floor or table to play with (which they often do).

I dont think we can realistically be expected to plan for each individual child for each day we would be constantly planning and evaluating and never actually interacting with the children. We do a next steps for each child every half term and this seemed to satisfy Ofsted in the past. I am not planning on changing our running for things too much as so much of how we are doing things seems to co-incide with the EYFS already.

HTH

DMBZ2000

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)