Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs And Special Children

Hi All,

Read the forum most days but don't often seem to get time to write a note. However I could do with some help and advice and wondered if there was anyone out there who could assist please??????

I work with children with complex medical and physical needs in a Foundation Class, and am trying to get to grips with what changes I need to make ready for EYFS to get it right for my very special little ones.

At present we have some focused sessions and the rest of the time activities and areas are set up for the children to explore themselves, or with an adults help as many of our children can't access things independently. We find things the children respond to/ like/explore and move on from there.

We are included in the whole school topics, but obviously make them relevant and very sensory to meet the needs of the children. Tend to plan around the topic but repeat and practise skills over and over. (Med term), and develop things that the children really enjoy.

We record observations on sticky labels and take lots of photos/videos to show fun, learning and enjoyment.

And daily/weekly we try to ensure that the children access are exposed to different areas of learning and that individual focus targets are included through PLAY.

All the children move on over the year, albeit very slowly in some cases, and we share fun and WOW moments daily.

Wonder if anyone out there is in a similiar situation who would like to share ideas

Thank You

x :o

Edited by Guest

hiya

I dont work in a school environment but just wanted to say it sounds to me as if you dont need to make any changes it looks as if you are doing it. However perhaps including parents in some way sharing childrens learning at home? but if you do I think you ok howver Im sure others will help with more expereince in this field of work

andrea

hiya

I dont work in a school environment but just wanted to say it sounds to me as if you dont need to make any changes it looks as if you are doing it. However perhaps including parents in some way sharing childrens learning at home? but if you do I think you ok howver Im sure others will help with more expereince in this field of work

andrea

Thank you Andrea really appreciate your reply. Yes parents are very involved - in and out of class and school, videos/photos shared, IFS meetings, home visits etc. Thanks for reassuring me I am not to give up and change career!!!!!!!! If I could just be with my little ones and help them have fun and learn I would be great, but paperwork is my bug bear and just want to get it right for my children without using up too many trees.

Take Care and thanks again

x :o

I think the eyfs is all about quality practice based on KEEP and if settings are all ready practicing these principles through ongoing critical evaluation then theres no need to change. I am confident now that we are ok and am spending my time looking at the 'welfare requirements' as this is what ofsted will concentrate on when practice is good. Just waiting for the new revised document.

andrea

I think the eyfs is all about quality practice based on KEEP and if settings are all ready practicing these principles through ongoing critical evaluation then theres no need to change. I am confident now that we are ok and am spending my time looking at the 'welfare requirements' as this is what ofsted will concentrate on when practice is good. Just waiting for the new revised document.

andrea

Thank You again

Happy Sunday

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)