Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Strucurtured Is Reception

i know i always ask loads of questions on here but i know theres always someone who knows more then me and can help.

i have never worked in a recpetion class and have only just moved to nursery age from under 3s.

I would like to know how structured a reception class is.

what is the usual routine? how much time do the children spend sitting down/in groups/ free play/planned activites etc

i ask, as the nusery nurse i work with has worked in reception previously (over a year ago now i think) and we were having a conversation about our routine and how we are not formal in anyway ( after a parent has made complaints we dont do enough sitting down) and she went on to say they will get that in reception to prepare them for year one.

i was under the impression reception and nursery would be very simialar. is there a lot of sitting down toghether in reception? i think by this she meant carpet times. but im not sure

There is such a huge difference in the level of formality in reception! There's bad practice, good practice and different good practice, so its difficult to say! but one thing i would say was that somewhere on here recently, I think, someone said how the foundation stage is a stage in its own right and not a preparation for key stage one. This is good practice.

On a EYFS course i went on recently, they displayed a brilliant quote which sums this up

'early Years is not a waiting room for primary education'

jx

thats exactly my view but my nursery nurse always goes on about getting them ready for school and in school they will do this and that, its so frustrating!

I am a reception teacher and my children spend 10 minutes whole class on the carpet doing phonics each morning and 10 minutes whole class on the carpet doing a number activity in the afternoon. After that they are free to choose their own activities indoors or outdoors unless they are working with an adult which is usually for 10-15 minutes in the morning and the same in the afternoon. Our Y1 class works in a very similar way only for extended periods (15 mins carpet and 2 x 15 mins adult led tasks) We are hoping to extend this way of working into Y2 next year.

Guest budgie1

Hi there,

In my reception class we usually spend 10 - 15 minutes on the carpet about four times a day ( start of am, before lunch, start of pm, and end of day) This increases throughout the year where we might have a slighlty longer session if the children are able to cope. We also do adult directed activites throughout the day that may involve sitting down but dont last longer thasn 15 - 20 minutes. I think a good reception practitioner will plan for the stage that the children are at and likewise in year one. However , everyone is different and works in a different way. I do hate it though when parents complain that the children are not doing any "real work!" :o

must say I think the parents bit of your reply was tricky for me when we set up - until we spent more time sharing practice, discussing their children's learning and how to promote it. Love my home schol books as a continuing link throughout the year.

In our reception - nursery unit a lot of learning takes place in play all around the room not many tables to be seen

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)