Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Club

Hi I wondered if anyone has any ideas to keep a rowdy bunch of boys busy. we are on half term and have 10 children in our holiday club 2 being girls age range 4-10. I have planned to do a theme of chinese new year making a box dragon masks lanterns etc with a chinese meal mid week. we have a sport trainer booked for thursday morning to do some games/football.

My problem is that one or two of the older boys only want to play on the games machine or football and become a bit unruly and bored . We have lots of other things to do but funds are short so no trip this week just a walk to the local park which the boys grumble at because its a fair distance to walk and the pitch is just a mud bath so we will not be using it . i have set up army manouveres in the sand tray, lego challenge and twister king/queen. help I need more.

sue

Well I have been asking my holiday club children what they would like to do. We have still done short term planning but have planned a local walk for tommorow, ten pin bowling in town on Wednesday (my last day) and a few other activities in between.

Beth

I'd say pre warn the parents (old clothes and maybe a change of clothes) and let them 'run, rock and roll' in the muddy field. :o

Good ideas from others, especially asking them what they want to do. xD

Peggy

thank you very much for your ideas. especially like the mud rolling sounds great fun . not sure about the dog poo! we have for once got no wind so the kite flying alas but the weather has been good to us frost,fog and lovely sunshine. we went walking on the canal then to the park this afternoon.

It was the children who suggested the chinese new year activities and they made a brill dragon today.

army great twister and lego big downer. they have come up with a great ball skill contest and a colouring competition for the new year masks. we will keep to the small prizes as this seems to spur them on this must be the male competetive streak.

next suggestion of the children is gruesome cooking found a book with cow pat cake.

any more suggestions gratefully recieved. My day off Wednesday granny duty beckons.

sue

ps what is everyone else doing for half term

Our playclub children plan their own week at the end of the last holiday, or at the start of the new one (with some pre-planned activities as back-up).

They are also given the job of producing articles for a newsletter - photos; interviews; reviews; drawings, etc. They enjoy seeing their work published.

Edited by Guest

thanks shelly1 I like the idea of them setting activities for the next holiday and though they contribute towards our newsletter I have not thought of them doing more will have a go at that.

today we froze our backsides off for over an hour doing great team games with a sports student he was brill. the kids asked him to come back at easter. I took loads of photos to make a book for display I think the children could help quite a bit with this . My fingers where so cold I could hardly press the button on the camera the children hardly noticed they where having such a good time.

cold again tomorrow the children want to do a movie afternoon sponge bob square pants I think, popcorn and smartie ice creams at the ready

sue