Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Closures And Amalgamations

Not sure where to post this but I feel sure that you wonderful lot will have some really good suggestions so here goes...

I've just been to a highly charged meeting of one of our feeder schools which is earmarked for amalgamation, which effectively means they will close. The question was asked from the parents: what can we find out that has worked in other areas where they have been threatened with closure. We talked about writing to MP's, council cabinet members etc; that one written letter is worth 10 e-mails but really we drew a blank beyond actually demonstrating outside the county hall. We felt strongly that it was wrong to involve the children as they may, at the end of the day, have no alternative but to lose their school and join with another and we didn't want to cloud their impression of the 'new' school or frighten them.

Please can you let me know your thoughts as well as what worked for you or those you know? Its really quite urgent as the council are meeting next week.

Thanks in advance

Not sure I can be positive for you xD

My school of 20 years and after a hard fought campaign was closed 18 months ago and so was a neighbouring school.A merged 'new' school was opened in the other school's building and our site is now flattened :( .Our school was 1 form entry over subscribed, high performing, excellent OFSTED and SATS results with a high level of parental support and in the black.The other school was an undersubscribed 2 form entry with a large 6 figure deficeit which was growing.I'm afraid it just came down to council economics despite strong objections and hard fought campaigns from both schools.It is better for the council financially to run 1 full 2 form entry school than 2 schools.

The council had choices and the 'closure' of both schools and the re-openning of a 'new' school with amalgamated staff was thought (by council) to be the fairest option to achieve what they had already decided before any 'consultations' and regardless of opposition.

We are now into our second year.It has be very difficult and continues to be so.If I sound bitter I'm afraid I am :o I hope things turn out differently for you.

We went through this a couple of years ago now...we fought tooth and nail.....meetings, letters, petitions and PARENT POWER.

They listened to us and now we remain open and very successful. We were under threat to close as we were at the time a first school...we are now a primary school but with only 1 class per year YR - Y6.

We even got on television to fight our case...get the parents involved asap and also your local paper.

Good luck with your campaign

Our school is to close in August 2009.We had support of parents,the town council, MP's etc and we took staff and parents to county hall to protest but nothing worked.They decided that the surplus places in the county are too high despite all the new housing to be built locally and it appears that not a lot will change their minds once a school has been earmarked for closure!! Once we have gone then they will just build more flats/apartments on the land!

Hi Karenswift and welcome! Its one big happy family here, even if life in the real world seems tougher by the day. Sorry to read your experiences, sadly I think our situation will be similar. Yesterday the council backed down from closing small and rural schools but amalgamations will still go ahead (at this time)......... surprise! I do try to look for the positives and I am so glad for the schools who have a reprieve. We won't go down without a fight tho.