Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For A Whole School Book Week?

MrsL

Hi, I am organising a whole school book week throughout our primary school. Most staff will have their own ideas they would like to do in class but I need to organise some things to tie it all in together. We are looking into having an author visit to work with the different key stages and maybe a theatre company to do a small production, has anyone got any other bright ideas?!

Having an author in sounds like a great idea.

In my daughters primary school older children took it in turn to read to the younger ones.

on the final day children came dressed as one of their favourite characters from a book.

Lots of snow whites and harry potters!

:o

Guest Wolfie

I don't know whether he can still be booked for school visits but many moons ago, the school I was teaching at had Michael Rosen in for a morning - he was absolutely fantastic, had the whole school, all age groups and all staff, completely mesmerised with his hilarious storytelling. If he's still available, I thoroughly recommend him!

We always had a Creativity Day in Book Week. As we had a house system this meant there was a mix of ages in each group. Sometimes we made models, paintings etc to illustrate a story or book (depending on our theme for the week) or sometimes the day was drama based. The focus and planning of the day was prepared by the oldest children who then delegated tasks to the others. We enrolled as many adult helpers as possible - this is where your artistic parents come into their own. We then had a session at the end of the day where each group could display/perform for the others.

Not sure where you are MrsL but there is a great guy called Peter Cutts who performs poetry and it is just stunning and will have all the children writing and performing their own. You can read about him here

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/campaign/c...petercutts.html

you can contact Peter by email http://www.offcutts.com/

He does an excellent performance called Animal Allspice - fantastic!

What about the whole school dressing up for the day?? Choose a theme e.g nursery rhyme characters, Mr men, reading scheme characters :o the list is endless and it is a really fun way to end a book week. A parade in the morning for the parents?