Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Importance Of Counting And Numbers For Parents Meeting

Hi all,

We need to talk about the importance of numbers and counting in Reception to parents.

This is how it goes

Children in reception need lots of practise with their counting and numbers. This can be achieved with your help through everyday experiences. For example in the home you can help by counting

plates, cups, knives, forks, spoons when laying the table. (going to show cups etc)

stairs

items of clothing (show buttons on shirt)

fingers on gloves(show gloves)

In the outside environment you can help by looking at door numbers,

counting cars on the road

whilst shopping (show bunch of bannanas)

You can also help by making sure children start counting from the number 1 and touch each object as they count.

All these experiences of number and counting make a big difference in children's understanding of number.

Thank you for your support.

Please read and add any ideas etc.

Thanks in advance

Flowerxxxxx

Counting cars and touching objects as they count could be a bit difficult! I know what you mean and maybe splitting hairs but do be careful you are not taken too literally?

counting stairs, counting paving stones etc.

If you work with a predominantly EAL population, you may find as I did, that they regard all this sort of thing as education and as such takes place at school.

I like the way you've asked for parents ideas too. :o , be interesting to hear what they come up with.

Talking numbers, it's my daughters 5th birthday tomorrow, and as I just put her to bed she said, I'm 5 tomorrow, how long will it be before I'm 6? xD

Peggy