Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oh Why Me?

beth1

I have discovered today that both people I put down as referees have left to work elsewhere and the place will not give me a reference due to not having a personal file that they can use. :( To me this sounds very strange, as they ring up to ask if I am still able to work if needed. Plus I think my other referee is giving a poor reference. I feel like crying because I am soo upset that this may end MY career working with children if I can't find another suitable referee or 2. :(:(

Plus I feel that I am soo struggling to find a suitable position in a nursery keep being told that I will get bored as a nursery nurse and senior positions require a full time person which means that I feel that I am being penalised for studying at higher education. xD BUT I may have a job depdending upon my references coming back, which today the manager told me this problem hence needing to find new referees otherwise I will be a up a creek without a paddle. :o

Beth

Guest MaryEMac

Oh Beth, sorry to hear that. Is there anyone not involved in childcare who you have known for a while, who could give you a reference? How about a former teacher or someone who has worked with you elsewhere or even your college tutor or the vicar. I hope you manage to find someone cos we're all rooting for you on here. Good luck.

Mary

Hi Beth, sorry you're feeling so down. But don't give up. I was in the position a couple of years ago of having to provide 2 references and I hadn't got anyone to ask as I was self-employed for 15 years. In the end, I got an old friend to give me a character reference and I got the other one from my kid's school where I helped out as a volunteer. I'm sure you'll find someone to help you out. Good luck

Sally

Ok, you just have to keep at this.....somewhere out there is a job with your name on it! You've certainly had some challenges, but Mary is right, there must be a tutor, or former teacher etc who will give you a reference.What about trying to contact the people who have moved on.......they should still be able to say what they know about your practice, even if they no longer work at the nursery? Why do you think the other referee will give you a poor ref......can't you ask them for a copy of it, at least that way you'd know what they have said? Like everyone else, I have my fingers crossed for you, that job is out there, you just have to keep lloking!

Beth,

You have a right to ask to see any reference that is written about you. Also, we ask for 2 references but only one needs to be 'professional' - we usually ask for the previous employer for this one unless there is a particular reason why this isn't feasible.

Naria I saw a old staff member who said something confidental to me and thats whats worried me. Plus I have asked for an open reference a few times to see what they are saying about me but it never turns up, hence me being supsious.

I have emailed my course leader for a reference and I am waiting for a response. Then next week I may ask if my old placement school could be a referee as most settings don't want an agency reference with it being a bit low on information.

Beth

Well I have managed to get hold of a character referee, in which I forgot that I could use them if needed. All I need now is a more recent professional referee, somehow I think an agency reference may not go in my favior.

Beth