Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Handle

Does anybody have any ideas on how to handle a Manager who won't listen to anybody, and thinkgs they are always right.

I was showing (at her request) the other day how to do birth to three planning a new starter to the setting. After I had finished I was walking back through the room when I heard the Manager say 'ignore what she said, she has told you wrong', and continued to tell her exactly what I had said.

The Manager didn't bother to ask me what I had said to the student. I am so cross but not sure what is the best way forward. I am also a senior member of staff with responsibility for looking after the staff

I'm not surprised you feel cross!

What sort of setting is this? I mean in terms of management structure? Do you have staff supervision? It sounds like you need to be having a talk with someone - whether it is your line manager (if this isn't the manager you're talking about) or the person themselves - to air your grievances. I'm a bit hot-headed and would probably have taken this person aside to ask her if she thought it was professional to tell a newcomer to ignore a senior member of staff!

But actually it isn't professional at all and I don't thinbk you should let it go. staff should work as a team and nobody should be ignored....

Thanks Kitty. I think I need to speak to the owner regarding this matter. The Manager frequently belittles her as well and is often heard saying to ignore what the owner says as she is in charge.

And that's all well and good, but being the Manager doesn't give you the right to be unprofessional. I felt really embarrased in front of this member of staff, as I thought now they will have no respect for what I have to say.