Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Engaging Parents

Having finished my self-evaluation of our Foundation Stage it becomes clear we are falling down in 2 areas. The first one being engaging parents. Has anyone got any ideas about how to improve this? We currently:

1. hold a reception evening for parents of children starting reception where we give a talk about FS curriculum, general school stuff, parents sample a school dinner, look around classroom etc;

2. Hold a curriculum evening in recpetion after children have first started where we talk about the teaching of reading, ways to help at home etc,

3. both nursery and reception hold parents evenings twice a year (aut and spr) term and reception send home a report at the end of the year and summary of FSP results. Nothing is currently sent home at the end of the nursery year

4. Nursery send out a weekly newsletter at the end of each week however this is something we have not done in reception - we send out a letter each half term

5. We make it very clear that volunteers are always welcome and try to get parents to come in a volunteer but we rarely have any takers.

At the moment we do not send home the evidence (observations, photos, etc) we collect on each child however this is going to be another of our priorities for the coming year

We are in an area of high social deprivation (I think that's how ofsted described us) and currently have around 50% of our FS chilldren who have English as a second language. Around half of these speak urdu/punjabi however the other half have a wide range of different languages.

I am supposed to be writing our action plan this week with the rest of the team however although I know what needs to be improved I am currently struggling to think of ways this might be done. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

We have a termly "family day" where parents and other family members are invited to spend the day (or a part of the day) experiencing the type of activities we offer with their child. it is very informal so that our parents don't feel under any pressure. They can chat to staff if they want or just spend time with their child. We usually manage a 100% turn out over the day with child nagging achieving what teacher's can't.

Thanks for your reply Marion. I do like the idea of that and like you said if children are nagging at home in the weeks before then that should guarentee a good turnout. What do you do over dinner time? Do the parents go home for dinner or do you provide dinner? Is it just a completely normal day or do you prepare anything special? Also do you do this in your normal room - am just thinking of space issues and H and S requirements. Am sure I wouldn't be allowed just one person with each child in my fairly smallish room. Thanks again.

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)