Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mark Making In Early Years

This has made me think alot about our practise and reading all your advise has made me me even more convinced we are on the right tracks :) thank you

We provide lots of opportunities from the very day they come to us at 2half to develop their gross motor skills.

In line with that ofcourse are the opps to develop their finger/hand muscles thru manipulation of alsorts of materials and their pincer grip.(pegs of both sorts,tweezers,stickers,exploration box etc etc

We have a much visited writing table which is well stocked to give alsorts of practise and their very own pigeon hole.

The children have excellent opp to 'write' in every aspect of their role play.

The FS1 children have an easy accessable name card whcih they are encourage to bring to the table when doing a picture etc They consistently but gently directed to write their name on the left hand side explaining to them that they will not run out of space (and ofcourse stops mirror writing)When they are ready and forming their letters we help them form their letters correctly and gently encourage them to try and hold the pencil in a certain way to make it more comfortable for them.We have afew children who have started to write their name in capitals (write at home alot)So i have asked them to bring their name to the table and look at the shape.I have also spoke to the parents and given them a formation sheet(in line with the feeder school)explaining it will be hard for them to get out of the habit at school so to nip it in the bud now.

We have fs1 children who are just about attempting to do their initial and fs1 children who are writing other words familiar to them they are all confident and know that we are so proud of them no matter where they are!I have just purchased some aqua draw pictures thomas tank and princessess and the boys love them the water pen isnt very long so this means they have no choice but to hold it in the correct place and we have marvelled how these have helped their pencil grip!

But you know ive written all this SORRY I HAVE GONE ON ABIT! hoping any teachers out there would tell me Im doing the right thing when it has suddennly dawned on me we got OUTSTANDING for enjoying and achieving not many months ago so we must be doing something right!!And i continue to read upto date info and advise on wonderful forums such as this I reckon if your member of this forum you cant go wrong!Sorry I needed to get it out of my system my confidence took a bit of knock SORRY :o

:D:D:D RIGHTLY

My grandson ( age 5, reading level of an 8 yr old) still uses circles for hugs and crosses for kisses when he writes me cards.

He prefers reading to writing at the moment. He made hubby a get well card recently with a picture of 'grandad next to the loo" He wrote in a speech bubble " I feel sike" :o

Peggy

Wonderful, constructive wisdom-filled discussion, lovely to read and learn - thankyou you wise lot, it mirrors my thoughts and what I believe in, keep up the good work. :):)

My son (the one who wasn't allowed to paint) never wrote until year 6 but had a reading age far above his actual age he just never saw the purpose of writing once he got to school. He did write in his nursery (which was excellent and had wonderful staff ) but had a really negative time in reception which stayed with him for a very long time.

very interesting discussion.

I too praise every mark a child consciously makes which i see or they bring to show me - they believe they are writing therefore they are! I can't believe someone could see the pride on a child's face as they show their mark making and then say "NO that is not writing"!!! :o

We leave a variety of note pads in every area of our nursery - the children choose to sit alongside us making marks in the books as we write their communication books, take the register, or record observations - I had a 'just three year old' the other day saying "this is what 'john' is doing" as she showed me marks she had made.

We have a low display board labelled 'Mark Making and emergent writing' - a 2 year old made lines on a piece of paper, asked for 'blutack' and stuck her own marks on the display. These children have heard nothing but praise for their efforts, which have been totally self led.

What is good here is that we are practitioners from different settings and with different roles and experiences but we all seem to be agreeing on the basics, put so very well by Peggy and Andreamay- and the rest of us actually - thinking about it. At the end of the day the judgements of wise practitioners are to encourage and go along with the child helping and supporting the child's learning and self-esteem.

I am sorry but I have to comment on this as I have just been 'to the other side' and cannot believe what I read!! I made my first posting because I was appalled at the attitude and rudeness of a so called proffessional!!! Well I supose it just highlights the brilliance of this site and the well mannered people that post on here!!!!

Here's my two pen'oth...

The children who sadden me are those who tell me they cant write.

They often have older siblings but sometimes parents who actually tell them that they arent writing. A parent of a 2yr and 8 month old girl once complained to me that her daughter would only sit and write 'L' she wouldnt stay to do the rest of her name.

These children need such a boost to their confidence and it can takes weeks/months to undo the negatives and actually see them at the writing area or roaming around with a clipboard.

A lad I'm with now wont try to write but loves seeing his name. He told me a few weeks ago that he doesnt know how to write so I fetched a massive piece of paper and asked him to draw circles all over it, then I got him to draw lines vertically, horizontally, diagonally and at the end we compared his writing with mine and amazingly we found similar shapes and pattens. Since then I've applauded every mark even if he didnt mean to make one. I couldnt bear it if someone told him he couldnt write now. I might even cause them damage!! :o

I think many if not all of us here can empathise with you Rea. I had such a child last year in my class. It's bad enough when parents are making these children think they can't write but when professionals (who should know better) are telling them they can't it makes me despair! xD:o

Funny enough Rea, when parents ask me if the children will learn to write their names at preschool I always say, if they can draw a circle and lines then they will be able to write when they are taught at school. I say "think of a letter, can you see the circles and lines? any other shape? their faces are a picture as it dawns on them how letters are basically formed.

best of all the pressure is off the children. :D

Peggy

I'm having trouble typing - my fingers are so sticky after a lovely session of writing in icing sugar - first you lick your index finger then you write, then you lick your index finger again.... etc etc

I have some great photos but I think you can see the children's faces in them - we're not supposed to post those are we, cos of child protection?

Also, I have a very long list of ideas for mark making. I could type it up and attach it if anyone is interested - also you lot could then add to it!!

I love this forum - its the only one for me!!

Well, how did the heart get up the top? I thought it would be at the bottom!

peggy - for goodness sake dont go and say that on the other forum!!!You'll get hung drawn and quatered!! :D:o

As previously stated, I only (just) have time for this forum, not inclined to join any other xD Although I will have to when I start my online degree xD

I would hope that the 'unpopular' views ( all entitled to our own though) are in the minority. :(

Peggy

I'm having trouble typing - my fingers are so sticky after a lovely session of writing in icing sugar - first you lick your index finger then you write, then you lick your index finger again.... etc etc

I have some great photos but I think you can see the children's faces in them - we're not supposed to post those are we, cos of child protection?

Also, I have a very long list of ideas for mark making. I could type it up and attach it if anyone is interested - also you lot could then add to it!!

I love this forum - its the only one for me!!

Well, how did the heart get up the top? I thought it would be at the bottom!

YUM, YUM. :(

Photo's - you can disguise faces using tools in your photosuite.

Long list would be useful, maybe could be placed in the resource section for future reference. :(

As for the Heart at the top, can't answer that query. :wacko:

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is truly not funny, but after finally looking at the "discussion" for want of a better word, i dont know whether to laugh or cry that a "professional" has not only thought, but put into print a comparison of our lovely children, with the courage and determination to translate their ideas onto paper, with a (and i quote) "baboon" scribbling!

This forum is lovely!

Everyone should have an oppinion and not be afraid to voice it....but surely oppinions such as those, which i can only see as more of an insult, do not belong in a childrens environment, especially at this age.

The heart is at the top because its a post icon not a smilie. :)

Had a lovely momement yesterday concerning a little girl at our nursery who is just 4 and loves creative activities and role play. Our ethos is strongly on learning through play - we have materials for writing all over the place and encourage and celebrate mark making, we do not do any formal 'writing' practice unless a child particularly asks to be shown.

Anyway, this little girl (who can write her name, but doesn't often choose to and sometimes gets the letters muddled up and all over the place) Yesterday children were adding their own toppings to pizza - while the pizzas were cooking, i suggested that we make menu's and gave each child that was interested a piece of card to make marks on - The 4 year old asked me how to write 'menu' - she copied it perfectly, then she asked for 'milk' , again she copied it then 'pizza' she asked me to do the zz but she did the rest..... i was amazed, she had only atempted her name and marks up to now. She was so pleased with herself. I believe she wrote, because writing a menu was a valid purpose for writing - not because she had been sat down and nagged to do so. This was a child who had shown little interest in writing, she had not been pressurised to do so, but HAD been in an environment that praised mark making, provided lots of examples of writing and opportunities to use writing/mark making for a purpose.

Just caught up on this one - I too think mark making is a fundamental aspect of pre-writing skills and should be encouraged in any which way, shape or form that the children show an interest whether that is through using pencils, paint brushes or writing in icing sugar (yummy!)

Has anyone seen the recent issue of Early Years Educator as there is a fascinating article on exactly this topic (I'll check at work which month it is, so you could order a back copy) It is all about the value of making marks and making meanings.

Yet another great discussion, guys!

Back at work... it's the March edition and the article is called 'Marking on purpose'

Its based on a research project that suggests early mark making attempts in young children are not simply drawings but are part of the process of learning to draw, write and understand concurrently. It's definitely worth a look!

A brief outline can be found here

Thanks for the link Marion, I would think they would encourage childrens interest.

We use charcoal pencils, the children get a clear mark without needing to 'press' too hard. :)

Peggy

I'm still looking for my markmaking list!!! Its obviously VERY SAFE wherever it is! Will post it when I find it. Since the icing sugar we have used economy chocolate pudding which worked even better! The mousse might be ok but the consistency of the puddings (in yogurt type 4 packs) was just right! Will endeavour to post a discreet photo if I can Peggy!

My boys definitely responded well to both icing sugar and chocolate pudding! (had to stop one girl licking the mat!!) Next week we are markmaking with cotton buds - will let you know how it goes.

Having trouble attaching photos, sorry! Close your eyes and just imagine the chocolate, the mat, the spoon, the licking, the fingers, the sticky mess........ :o

Edited by Guest

You've got it - the flip flops!!

Does anyone know how I attach these blooming photos? I tried a word document but it seemed to take ages. How do you do those thumbnail thingies?

You need to download the photo's from your computer in the same way as files, but think they need to be a certain size?? You need to ask the wise one for his words of wisdom. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)