Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Slime?

Hi again

As no one replied to my question about Slime in the discussion on playdough, thought I would start it as a new topic.

Surely someone else knows of this fascinating stuff?

Perhaps you know it by another name?

It is made with PVA glue, warm water, glycerine and borax. I am now having difficulty finding borax, Boots used to stock it, but no longer do so. Do you know where it can be obtained?

For those who haven't tried it, when successfully made, it has a thick jelly like consistency, it can be rolled into balls, and will then it bounce; it will stretch, and this can be a great fascination. When left it gradually returns to a smooth flat pancake, and is tempting to touch again.

Jean

Sorry Jean. Can't help!

although somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my brain, I have a vague recollection that I know what you mean but may have been something that I bought my sons or saw as a child.

Can you give us the exact "recipe"? although we also would need a source of Borax. :o

Is it a health & safety issue that its no longer stocked at Boots. Not aware that I've bought or needed any Borax either!

I have made cornflour Gloop or Ooblick with the children which has very similar properties, but I don't think it will bounce--its a liquid or a solid depending on the force exerated upon it (at least I think thats the explanation).

Hope someone else will pick this up for you, shall keep an eye. :)

Susan

Hello Jean,

This sounds fabulous stuff :D I've never heard of it before, and have no idea what Borax is, sorry. If you find out, please give us the recipe...I'd love to try it with our children.

I have made my own version of slime using the paint thickener granules which is wallpaper paste without the fungicide. It worked very well and you can add food colouring to it. Ours was for a dinosaur swamp!

I have a feeling that Borax is going to be hard to come by. It can be caustic if not handled properly and I would assume that is why Boots, and I would think most other chemists, no longer stock it. Your slime sounds wonderful! I wonder if there is anything else that could replace the Borax and still have the same or similar results? All you chemists out there, any ideas???

Linda

I have previously made slime using borax and pva glue - I obtained borax from my local chemist - this was less than a year ago. I do not remember the exact recipe but if you type 'slime borax' into your search engine it comes up with a few websites which contain recipes. It does have to be supervised constantly but is great fun!

We also make slime using Soap Flakes, water and food colouring - not quite as good but just as messy! I find this improves over time and you just have to keep adding water until the consistency is right!

Hope this helps!

Hi AJMartin, welcome in and thanks for the info.

I can see you've been hiding in the wings for a while, interesting what prompts people to make their first post.

First of many, I hope! :D

Susan

I am concerned about the use of Borax with young children. It is used as an industrial chemical and for cleaning. I wonder if it could cause some children problems, especially those with allergies. If you do find it perhaps it might be a good idea to ask the pharmasist if it is safe to use with children.

Linda

I have just found a recipe for soap flake slime.

3 cups of lux soap flakes

approx 1 litre of water

food colouring.

Sprinkle the flakes on the water and whisk until slimey froth is formed.

We did this last week.

It is brilliant the children love it. We kept it for over a week.

Using it in different ways..........added duplo.......animals.......people and furniture (this was popular)......heavy/light things..............whisks........jugs..........spoons.........

You just have to make sure you keep a check on the floor as it is very slippery.

Thanks a lot for that I will be off to Tesco's later!!!

I will be able to use two other slime recipes now.

2 cups soapflakes

2 cups cold water starch

3 cups cold water.

Beat together till mixture is consistency of whipped potatoes.

1 large saucepan

1 cup cornflour

drop of cold water 2 pints of boiling water

1 cup soap flakes

colouring.

Dissolve cornflour with the small ammount of water in saucepan, add 2 pints of boiling water,bring to boil. Remove from heat, add soap flakes. It will be runny,but gets firmer as it cools.

BORAX in slime.

I am wearing my pharmacist's hat (seriously, I am a pharmacist).

There are safety issues on the use of borax. Borax is poisonous if eaten (and can kill). It can also be absorbed through skin wounds or abrasions. Skin treatment products containing borax have been available, but could not be recommended for use on young children because of the risk of poisoning.

On this basis, I would not be happy to expose children to anything containing borax or boric acid.

I suspect that the role of borax in slime is to preserve it. Technically, then, it should be possible to make the slime without the borax, but it would have to be discarded after a very short time (because it would be good for bugs to grow in).

Soap flakes sound like a better option.

Diane.

Hi -

Just to stick my oar in, I found this information about Borax which I hadn't previously been aware of, and may explain why Boots don't stock it any more:

If ingested Borax can adversely affect the Central Nervous System, kidneys and liver. Repeated or prolonged skin contact can cause dermatitis.

I don't know if this is particular types, industrial strengths or whatever - but I thought it might be useful. You can find the full chemical description and the above quote from here.

Jean, it looks like you might have to settle for some of the other recipes above! :o

Wow! What have I started here!

Had no idea that Borax was so offensive. The original recipe came from a course that the local playgroup staff had been on, and they passed it on to us in Nursery school!

I would still like to find an alternative for it as the result is so different from anything else.

I will try making it without and see what happens, and report back.

Jean

Jean,

Please let me know how it goes without the borax.

I can't see any other purpose for it, other than as a preservative. But I could be completely wrong!

If you make it without borax, you will probably have to use it once and chuck it out. All the other ingredients make it an ideal medium for bacterial and fungal growth, unfortunately. The soap-flake stuff will not have the same problems, because bugs don't grow in the presence of soap.

Diane.

Am I right in thinking that cream of tartar is the preservative for playdoh?

I wonder if it could also be used in slime??????

Jean

Not sure that the cream of tartar preserves the playdough.

Playdough keeps so well because of its high salt content (bugs generally can't survive with that much salt present).

No completely "safe" alternative for the borax in slime readily comes to mind. Almost anything with preservative properties carries the risk of allergic reactions and/or contact dermatitis.

The soap flake versions of slime should last longer than the standard slime with borax omitted (if it actually works), because the soap will make the stuff less favourable for microbial growth. Even then, a few days may be the longest time that I would like to keep it in use.

Diane.

Hi,

I have used slime in my setting and got borax from a local chemist. I found the recipe on a kids tv programme on BBC 1 that looks at science things with kids and they showed how to make it on the programme. Surely they wouldn't have done this if there was any risk, but you have got me thinking!

BORAX - again

I really do think that the potential toxicity of borax makes it unsuitable for use in slime to be played with by children. Bearing in mind that slime is meant to be handled quite extensively, and that borax can be absorbed into the body via skin wounds, there are definite risks. Also, borax is absorbed through the mucous membranes (so a child would not even have to swallow the slime - the borax could enter the bloodstream directly through the membranes of the mouth). The consequences of borax poisoning are devastating - almost every part of the body is affected - and can result in death.

I know that we can't eliminate all risks to children's safety (nor would we necessarily want to), but since slime can be made without borax, then this is one that should be eliminated.

Diane.

Hi there juicy lucy, welcome on board and glad you found us.

I agree that if something is seen on children's TV that you would expect it to be safe, but I had only ever heard of borax as an ant killer so would never had used it with children anyway. Diane is quite right though, so better to play safe. perhaps nobody has told the BBC yet?

Still considering this.

Slime as I know it won't work without the borax, something to do with a chemical reaction when borax meets pva. It is very different from the soap flake slimy substances. Is only slimy in the making, more of a plastic puttylike consistency when made.

Will continue trying to find out more.

Jean

Thanx for your welcomes. Reading how dangerous borox is I certainly will not be using it again in nursery, thanx. Will try the soap flakes though, not used those before!

I have recently bought soap flakes from Boots chemist and I also saw Borax for sale. I also thought Borax may be harmful but the informations on the back of the box didn't give any warnings. Try asking Boots to order these items for you as they produce both the soap flakes & Borax.

Nicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)