Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough

I never thought i would get excited about play dough Susan but i can't wait to try all the ideas out on my new class in September!! How sad am I ?!?!!!

Guest cathy m

I make a very quick a playdough

1 cup plain flour

1/2 cup of salt

1 cup of boiling water

1 tbs oil

food colouring

Mix all of above with spoon then tip out and knead, it's very theraputic the children enjoy handling the warm playdough.

It keeps for months in a poly bag in the fridge

Cathy

:o

We went through a period where the dough became sticky and useless after a couple of days and cant work out why as we all use the same recipe we have used for years. Thankfully its lasting longer now except we have one little angel who eats it whenever she thinks no one is looking :o

Guest tinkerbell

I bought the Featherstone book Little book of dough and we had a ball making different textures and smelly doughes.

Then a 'lively' boy stuck his face in the peppermint dough (peppermint oil had been added) his eyes were streaming!!!! we had actually told the children not to stick their faces in the dough like you do ....but there is always one..I had to turn away to stop laughing!!!

Tinkerbellx

The sticky dough problem can be sorted by adding cream of tartar (NOT Tartaric acid, from chemists), readily available from supermarkets. One generous teaspoon to one cup of flour always worked for us.

Sue

I have found that the type of food colouring affects the consistency. I had always used small bottles of food colouring bought from the supermarket, but I wanted to try different colours to make it a little more interesting and so bought some more expensive colouring from a local cake decorating shop. (Still in small bottles, but much thicker consistency). Fantastic choice of colours, but the dough became really dry when first made. The consistency just wasn't right until I went back to using ordinary food colouring.

Here's my recipe again for perfect playdough:

400g plain flour

200g salt

4 level teaspoons cream of tartare

2 tablespoons oil

600 ml boiling water

food colouring

Put all dry ingredients in a bowl with oil. Add colouring to boiling water in a jug and mix. Knead well until smooth.

Hi all, We allways have the children make the playdough, this is a group task!! the children choose the colour, smell and any extras like sand for texure. We added uncooked spaghetti once this was a bit werid but it gave it a different texture and sound!!! as it snapped when being rolled out, odd bits were a bit sharp so be aware. The children help us by following a big recipe card laminated showing drawings of cups full, spoon fulls etc. This works well as you can demostrate math language and capiticy etc. I have been using poster paint to colour the dough just use less water and add the paint if it goes sticky add more flour. This ment we have had bright pink dough and yellow dough instead of the basic food coloured mix. I also made some placemats a4 size of shapes then add equipment that matchs. Mr Potato Head is very popular with us as we have a computer programe with him in it, so I created some a4 cards with body parts missing so they can be added on with the dough by the children.

Choclate dough was good but the children wanted to eat it!! and when you discover a small brown sauage shaped thing lurking in the middle of the floor it makes you think eurk... what is that? has someone had a slight accident? This can be a bit off putting if you have a visitor to the setting and they see you calmly picking it up with no gloves or anti baci or tissues!! oh what fun!

We have the same problem Marion. The children add put flour on their hands in the hope it doesn't stck but it does not help.

Hi again!,

Try to keep the dough wrapped up in a bag and stored in the fridge. This works for us!

P.S. to all....

One more thing... I think it is really gross when you find old hair in the playdough. How off putting is that?!! I know it happens and can't be helped but I know of a setting who's dough is full of hair and it's not changed for ages (according to the parents). Yuck.... think of all the sneezes, coughs and dribbles in it!!! & then you get one child who likes the salt taste and licks it! We change ours every week. Whats the normal life span of the dough ?

Ooh Lesley- I am going to be obsessively checking our dough daily when i get back now!! We only ever keep ours out for a couple of days because it gets too sticky after that but i think our problem is that although we wrap in a plastic bag wew haven't been keein git in the fridge!

I wonder if there is a method of sterlising it? heating it up again i guess may kill some bugs, not sure, any ideas any one?

'... and when you discover a small brown sauage shaped thing lurking in the middle of the floor it makes you think eurk... what is that? has someone had a slight accident? '

Just had to say while tidying up today I found the dreaded sausage shape thing under the kitchen table.My two girls ran away screaming, thankfully it was just chocolate playdough but I thought the worst as I'm trying to potty train my very defiant 3 year old boy!

Karrie

Edited by aliamch

oh what fun!!! I can't think of a better line of work to be in!!! lets face it the laughs and joys this job brings are unpriceable!! lol :o

• 1 month later...
I also now do not make playdough in a saucepan or microwave. I have discovered that you can just add the required amount of boiling water to the dried ingredients and mix. I put the colouring in with the water. This makes perfect playdough and lasts just as long. It doesn't require all that arm-aching stirring over the saucepan and the bowl is much easier to clean afterwards. Just stir, then bring together and knead with your hands.

The following recipe is the one that I use as it doesn't ask for "cups" as measures. I'm never quite sure exactly what a cup of flour is and too much or too little changes the proportions of the dough. These quantities work really well:

400g plain flour

200g salt

4 level teaspoons cream of tartare

2 tablespoons oil

600 ml boiling water

food colouring

Thanks so much

Worked a treat!!!

Rachel:-)

• 5 weeks later...

hi, we put orange peel, coco powder, glitter in ours this gives the playdough differnt feeling and semming smells.

hope thsi helps

joleigh :D:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)