Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children with ‘just a cold’, do you exclude?

janeh1960

Just wondered how strict your settings are being about excluding children with any signs of illness. 

I’m getting asked by parents what should they do from September if their child seems to have ‘just a cold’, runny nose, sore throat etc but not really so ill that they would normally keep them at home. 

My gut instinct is to say nobody is to attend if unwell at all but not sure if that’s being too restrictive as obviously colds & viruses are usually rife over the next two terms and a lot of children would have to be off a lot. 

I suppose my concern is also heightened as I had Covid quite badly in March, which started with symptoms of sinusitis before developing the more usual symptoms of Covid - cough, temperature etc after a few days. Drs told me at the time they’d seen a lot of cases present as ‘sinusitis’ initially.

My sister in law also had it & spent a week in hospital, her main symptoms were stomach related for first week. 

What are other people telling parents re this? 

Many thanks 

• Like 2

Hi, we have reminded parents that our normal policy is to not bring children who are unwell and if children attend who appear unwell we will take their temperature and call them to collect immediately if it’s raised and they’ll have to arrange a test for their child before they can return’ , so am hoping that that might make them think twice 🤔 we’ve also reminded of the importance of not giving medication that can mask a fever before coming.

Sorry to see you’ve been through it yourself, glad you’ve recovered now, interesting to read about sinus problems first (I have shares in Sudafed 😕other sinus pain relief medication is available) and stomach related problems, what type of stomach symptoms did covid present as?

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hi, we have reminded parents that our normal policy is to not bring children who are unwell and if children attend who appear unwell we will take their temperature and call them to collect immediately if it’s raised and they’ll have to arrange a test for their child before they can return’ , so am hoping that that might make them think twice 🤔 we’ve also reminded of the importance of not giving medication that can mask a fever before coming.

Sorry to see you’ve been through it yourself, glad you’ve recovered now, interesting to read about sinus problems first (I have shares in Sudafed 😕other sinus pain relief medication is available) and stomach related problems, what type of stomach symptoms did covid present as?

Thank you, that’s a very good idea. 

I was ill for 6 weeks & it damaged my lungs & sinuses so I’m still on inhalers, steroid nasal sprays & tablets. I’m also 60 next week so I really really don’t want to catch it again.

My sister in law thought she had a cold/water infection for 5 days till she developed severe D&V & was rushed to hospital, eventually moved to pneumonia etc.

Also lost my 84 yr old stepdad to Covid in April.

Covid has hit my family hard,  so to say I’m nervous about returning to Pre school is an understatement! 

• Sad 4

On 25/08/2020 at 20:41, janeh1960 said:

I was ill for 6 weeks & it damaged my lungs & sinuses so I’m still on inhalers, steroid nasal sprays & tablets. I’m also 60 next week so I really really don’t want to catch it again.

My sister in law thought she had a cold/water infection for 5 days till she developed severe D&V & was rushed to hospital, eventually moved to pneumonia etc.

Covid has hit my family hard,  so to say I’m nervous about returning to Pre school is an understatement! 

Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry to hear all that your family have been through. I hope you make a full recovery.  It’s interesting that you mention the stomach symptoms, talking to the nurses at the hospital where my Dad was and they said that is how their patients and staff presented with it.  But you never seem to hear about these symptoms on the government information.   I think we are in for a tricky few months at school with cold season and nori virus season upon us!  I personally would prefer to take  a strict stance  on this right from the start and say they must not attend with any signs of illness but I know  this would not be welcomed by parents. Good luck to you on returning. 

Just wanted to send good wishes to you jane 

I hope you make a full recovery over time.

Your post serves as a reminder to us all  that  we do need to have  a strict (and clear) illness policies in place.  

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 15:54, janeh1960 said:

Just wondered how strict your settings are being about excluding children with any signs of illness. 

I’m getting asked by parents what should they do from September if their child seems to have ‘just a cold’, runny nose, sore throat etc but not really so ill that they would normally keep them at home. 

My gut instinct is to say nobody is to attend if unwell at all but not sure if that’s being too restrictive as obviously colds & viruses are usually rife over the next two terms and a lot of children would have to be off a lot. 

I suppose my concern is also heightened as I had Covid quite badly in March, which started with symptoms of sinusitis before developing the more usual symptoms of Covid - cough, temperature etc after a few days. Drs told me at the time they’d seen a lot of cases present as ‘sinusitis’ initially.

My sister in law also had it & spent a week in hospital, her main symptoms were stomach related for first week. 

What are other people telling parents re this? 

Many thanks 

Oh bless you - you and your family have been having a tough time. Hope that you are making a slow but good recovery - take care of yourself xx

• 4 weeks later...

We have the runny noses back too, some parents have kept them off even though we have said they don’t need if not showing any covid symptoms.

I’d be interested in other people’s take on the statement in the guidance about not asking parents for test results, I’m thinking it means if for example you sent a child home with symptoms and they stayed away for 10days you can’t ask for a test result but if they wanted to return after a couple of days that would be ok to ask as they hadn’t been off for the Isolation period? (I’d think it would be ‘should ask’) 🤷‍♀️

053FCAF6-0955-4FAF-B49F-90E478219B58.jpeg

• Like 1