Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No mention of nurseries in the PM’s statement then

anju

5 minutes ago, Castleton2017RJ said:

I have looked on the gov website but nothing has been updated yet.  Any ideas where else we could find out?

Maybe more detail will come out tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, Castleton2017RJ said:

I took it as nurseries were not mentioned then they are not part of the staggered opening.

I’m not sure if it’s an oversight 😬 I thought a general message was ‘get back to work’ and parents will need childcare for the pre schoolers in order to do that? Don’t know though 

17 minutes ago, Panders said:

I suppose it's possible, but he didn't actually say nurseries, but as many are attached to schools, its  a might be

I suppose.   

Yes that’s true. It would be strange if the school reopened to reception and not nursery I think.

2 minutes ago, Panders said:

It begs more questions than it answers and so I suspect the devil will be in the detail yet to come out.

*this*

From DFE Facebook page

‘As confirmed by the Prime Minister this evening, we are asking education and childcare settings to prepare to open for more children from 1 June.

We will publish further guidance setting out more information for early years, schools and colleges tomorrow.’

• Thanks 1

I think as we were never told to close, we can choose when it is safe and viable to open?  Settings have either stayed open for children of keyworkers and vulnerable children, or made the decision to close, either because they didn't have enough children or staff to stay open, or because they decided it was safer to close.

Just now, Stargrower said:

I think as we were never told to close, we can choose when it is safe and viable to open?  Settings have either stayed open for children of keyworkers and vulnerable children, or made the decision to close, either because they didn't have enough children or staff to stay open, or because they decided it was safer to close.

Maybe we would technically have the choice whether to open after 1st June but would funding continue if we chose not to??

7 minutes ago, anju said:

From DFE Facebook page

‘As confirmed by the Prime Minister this evening, we are asking education and childcare settings to prepare to open for more children from 1 June.

We will publish further guidance setting out more information for early years, schools and colleges tomorrow.’

9 hours ago, anju said:

Maybe we would technically have the choice whether to open after 1st June but would funding continue if we chose not to??

I think it is more a case of it’s presumed we are all already open as well, I think it’s about finding out how many extra chn will  need/want to come above key worker children and we need clarification on who can/can’t come back, I’ve had a parent already confirm their child will be back as another is in an accepted school year even though the parent always works from home ??? and then others won’t want to send them regardless and as you say anju if it’s a parental choice to keep them home can we keep the funding (Surely our counties can’t penalize us for that ...or can they?)

If only it was as simple as ‘if you can’t work from home go back to work’, the construction and manufacturing businesses can’t just pick up where they left off, apart from not fitting people into the same space they did before I know the small independent builders are struggling to get materials for a start, plaster is the new hand gel and there is a huge backlog on orders, I can’t imagine manufacturers will be able to get the parts they need that readily either :’( 

10 hours ago, Stargrower said:

We were definitely told to close by our LEA unless you have vunerable or keyworker children who CANNOT be looked after at home. The message apeared to be that we would be open from the 1st June. We need clarification before we jump in. If you take children back and put your staff at risk will your insurance company cover you for their death in service might be a question to ask before we all start unfurloughing staff?

28 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think it is more a case of it’s presumed we are all already open as well, I think it’s about finding out how many extra chn will  need/want to come above key worker children and we need clarification on who can/can’t come back, I’ve had a parent already confirm their child will be back as another is in an accepted school year even though the parent always works from home ??? and then others won’t want to send them regardless and as you say anju if it’s a parental choice to keep them home can we keep the funding (Surely our counties can’t penalize us for that ...or can they?)

If only it was as simple as ‘if you can’t work from home go back to work’, the construction and manufacturing businesses can’t just pick up where they left off, apart from not fitting people into the same space they did before I know the small independent builders are struggling to get materials for a start, plaster is the new hand gel and there is a huge backlog on orders, I can’t imagine manufacturers will be able to get the parts they need that readily either :’( 

Good points. Maybe they will publish an expanded ‘key worker plus extras’ list of who is now allowed and encouraged to work and then we will be expected to provide childcare for those children. 
Dare I mention PPE?? I haven’t looked in to getting any as I feel uncomfortable potentially  taking supplies from front line health and care staff. Maybe I wouldn’t be able to get any anyway :/ 

2 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

We were definitely told to close by our LEA unless you have vunerable or keyworker children who CANNOT be looked after at home. The message apeared to be that we would be open from the 1st June. We need clarification before we jump in. If you take children back and put your staff at risk will your insurance company cover you for their death in service might be a question to ask before we all start unfurloughing staff?

Same here but the ‘work from home if you can’ message seems to have been diluted. Or blurred. Grim but true about insurance and also potential for being sued or being prosecuted due to Health and Safety at work breaches.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I’ve just told my committee this a biggy we need to get confirmed, I did read someone had asked the question and the response was ‘it could never be proved how/where someone contracted it’ ...ummm!

Must paint faster FM 😝 I need to crack on with all the things I’ve been dragging my heals over like policy rewriting and turning my scribbled thoughts on re-opening into a plan anyone else might be able to make sense of, first though is finding out from parents who would need child care and who would actually want it if they could, one parent has already confirmed this morning that their child won’t be back until the R rate is much lower.

I’m not sure about PPE either, I don’t see masks really working in our settings but I guess it will be staff choice, as said will we even be able to get them? (Consortium have no gloves or aprons). I was surprised mask wearing in public places wasn’t addressed last night ....or maybe I’m not.

• Like 1

Im not wearing a mask at work...it won't work my EAL and SEN will find this confusing and scary. Masks work to protect the person from your germs not the other way around so in theory the emphasis should be on ensuring the staff do not have symptoms.

Gloves are going to be an issue ..beginning to wonder if i can find another alternative to this ? may have to not worry about no latex!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you fm on not wearing masks! I have purchased white cotton gloves for staff to help them feel just a little more protected touching the hundreds of items we touch each session, including those that may have been in mouths!  Not entirely stopping the risk but hopefully making it more 'comfortable' to deal with. Clean pair every day of course. With the same thought I have bought lots of lovely coloured aprons for staff - again to feel a bit more protected.......

• Like 1

Just a word of warning about wearing gloves (my husband works in large hospitality) If you put gloves on people they will touch their faces often and the germs will be on the gloves. They think the gloves protect them but this is not the case. They need to be washing their hands to protect them (preferably every 20 minutes!!!!) .....just information you must of course do what makes you feel:)

• Like 3

sorry having re-read this it sounds like ive contradicted myself....what i mean is that we will wear disposable gloves for intimate care but not for classroom activities . Try searching for decorators gloves instead of disposable! my top tip for the day!!

I told my husband I was on the verge of just chucking it all in  this morning..O.o  

I chucked a mega hissy fit- as it's ok for me to look after groups of random children- but I can't see my own grandchild (I may have been a tad dramatic :$ .. tears were involved:().       Anyway he talked me off the ledge... possibly because he's retired and wants the house back :ph34r:

Anyway we've had a chat,  I said one of the most difficult things is the feeling of needing to sort this  me/alone/myself, and the pressure I feel.

So I have a few questions I'd like to ask others here. Those that have remained open can share their advice if they are happy to?

• What resources do people have out or planning to ?   I'm thinking all the basics sand/water/playdough are a no no.
  • How are you keeping the children distanced and happy/occupied ?
  • We haven't a proper outside area- we use the fields in a park. After years of herding the children to keep them safe etc -not sure how we space out it in a busy park (normally during the week its very quiet- but with many still off I recon it will be busy.
  • Anyone thinking of offering shorter hours? 
  • Clothing. I'm seriously thinking of making fun 'scrubs' type sets for staff - easily washable etc.  I should add this is because I can actually very easily make some- I wouldn't specifically buy them.  part of me thinks this is a good idea- the other part thinks OTT.

Any other helpful tips /suggestions ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So many unanswered questions, I feel nothing but frustration after last nights statement. I know the EYA are asking for clarity today regarding EY providers. So maybe we will know more later.

We are committee run and I would urge our committee to be considering opening very carefully, But I already know how that’s going to go, parents want their children out of their hair so of course they are going to say we open. There will have to be huge changes in daily routine and activities and I don’t think parents quite appreciate the changes that will have to be made.

Im going to wait for later and see if anything else comes out. My head is spinning and anxiety levels going through the roof. I don’t feel capable of stringing a sensible sentence together. 

• Sad 2

My problem is I have two staff whose children are not in the classes going back and are wanting to bring them to work! I've said IF we open (we closed as had no keyworker children) they can't bring them in and would have to send them to school as surely they would be classed as keyworkers themselves. They don't like this idea but with maybe having to restrict the amount of children in (to start with) by having two 'other' children in would mean a couple of ours wouldn't be able to come back. I'm going round in circles to see how we can work it all out and am feverishly (not over 37.8°C :D) awaiting further clarification........ I have heard it will be out around 2pm but what's the betting anything relating to us will come out in the small hours!!

• Like 1

im waiting till ive heard all the guidance today before i finalise what and when . We will not be able to socially distance the children, i am fearful that the examples of other countries may have an influence. Our local school realised quite quickly that social distancing doesn't work with thier keychildren. So it is a case of minimising risk...so far this is where im going...still feel the sneeze and cough one might be a bit much!! (please be aware this is a working document!!!!!O.o)

covid plan draft 1.docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

I'm thinking all the basics sand/water/playdough are a no no

that was my thinking until I read the danish article on how they're doing it and one of the pics is a group of children in what they call 'the sandbox' ? 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

I told my husband I was on the verge of just chucking it all in  this morning..O.o  

I think that is exactly where I am at the moment.

Spoke to my eldest son this morning his advice was "you have got to do what's right for you mum, not for staff, not for children, not for families, but for you personally"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Im going to wait for later and see if anything else comes out. My head is spinning and anxiety levels going through the roof. I don’t feel capable of stringing a sensible sentence together. 

I identify with this zigzag, it all feels a bit too much this morning......

• Sad 2