Articles
Resources
About Us
Tapestry
Sign in to follow this  
MarshaD

Maternity leave

Hi

I’ve had a quick look and can’t find anything current on this so apologies if already covered. Is there anyone who dealt with mat leave recently and could talk me through time line and responsibilities please? It’s my first time and I don’t want to mess it up. 

Hi MarshaD, I've been through this recently. The first thing I would do is a risk assessment and get them to sign it, include things like no heavy lifting, not being stood up for long periods of time etc. The employee has to tell you they are pregnant, when their due date is and when they expect to start their mat leave, this should be in writing and has to be given to you by the time it is 15 weeks before the due date. You then have 28 days to reply in writing, stating what their mat pay will be (most likely statutory), and include the dates for when mat leave starts and ends and that if they wish to change their return date, they have to give you 8 weeks notice. The government have all the current details on their website. They are entitled to all ante-natal appointments in paid time off as long as they are recommended by a doctor which means it could include things like relaxation classes but usually it tends to be just doctor/midwife appointments and scans. i'm sure there's more but can't think off the top of my head, feel free to ask anything.

They will be given a  MATB1 certificate from their doctor or midwife and have to pass this on to you when they have it.  It confirms the week that their due date falls in and you need it for payroll/mat leave.  Also don't forget that they will accrue holiday during their maternity leave.  I have had a lot of staff on maternity leave in the last 2 - 3 years (and I mean a LOT including three at the same time from the same room :o) and I always ask them to add the year's holiday on to the end of their maternity leave.  

Sign in to follow this