Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My GDPR 'To Do' list

FSFRebecca

I don’t really know that Rafa, I was just running through everyone that we deal with that would know anything about us, and I guess they have our name, address, telephone, bank details due to direct debits O.o

I just keep coming up with more ...Ofsted, PSLA (who I registered staff names and emails with for training ...should I now ask staff to consent to being added..this is endless) 

• Sad 1

Just received this by email, so I guess it is filtering through to everyone now!

Just a heads up that on May 1, 2018, we're making some updates to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

sp.gif

What's changing? We're adding more detail about the ways we use your data, and your rights with that data. This is to address some new privacy rules in Europe (but our updates will apply even if you live outside of Europe).

sp.gif

To learn more about what's changing, visit our Help Center. You can also get a preview of the new Privacy Policy and Terms before they go live.

sp.gif

If you keep using Pinterest after May 1, 2018, that means you're okay with the new updates.

sp.gif

The Pinterest Team

So have spent the day at work sorting through filing cabinets.  All simple to start with, just archiving or disposing.  I have two filing cabinets one which locks and one which does not.  Never thought about this as an issue before as we are in a locked room etc.  Now however I am aware that this is not good enough.  So major reshuffle, but just to make life interesting the suspension files in one don’t fit the other so not such  a simple case of transference.  Now the middle lockable drawer on my desk has given up on me so had to bring that home to see if hubby can sort it!  Think I am just about sorted physically with locked/ unlocked, confidential or not!  I have totally removed the four post trays from my desk so that we will have to abide by the empty desk rule.  I have just emailed everyone who we deal with with the compliance questions.  Next jobs are to notify staff and parents, look at the notice boards to see how I stand with them.   Now I am going to have a big glass of wine 🍷 

• Like 2

Wow a very constructive day zigzag, I did cabinet sorting yesterday and it’s quite surprising how much more we now feel needs filing in lockable cabinets and not just somewhere in the office either in a tray, on a shelf or stuck to the wall, still not sure what to do with all the boxes of ‘retained’ info that are ceiling high though and I am beginning to wonder if we (as an industry) are the only ones going to these lengths.

• Like 3

I am now turning my thoughts to things on the walls.  We have a birthday display with children’s photo and D.O.B, and all the other notices and required documentation on the parents notice board.  Not sure what is and is not now appropriate! One thing I am not going to stop is children’s photos and names on pegs and drawers etc, think I will just add a permission box on the enrolment form for this.

• Like 1

re birthdays - I just have 3 cupcakes (big ones I painted)  and above each one it says, "I am 2", I am 3,  I am 4.   On to the cupcake we have a small photograph of each child and they move it along when they have a birthday.   No names, no dobs.   I think I will just stay with permission, the only other photo/name display we have could easily be locked away each day, being a packaway we have to have an   "empty desk" policy.

• Like 1

I have a question about 'suppliers' what are they?  Are they the people who supply services - cleaners, gardeners, odd job person (hope so 'cos they are all me anyway!)

Or the people that supply the paint paper etc ?  

My head hurts.

Guess I'm lucky again as I seem to do most of mine in Poundland xDxD.

Seriously I am actually glad I'm 'new' and a complete parkway.  At the moment all my stuff is in one draw of filing cabinet -and that's nowhere near full yet.

ANYWAY - has anyone  actually contacted Ofsted and asked if they're compliant yet ?  It was mentioned at my registration visit - but I'm not sure if it was her or myself that brought the subject up.

x

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Guess I'm lucky again as I seem to do most of mine in Poundland xDxD.

Seriously I am actually glad I'm 'new' and a complete parkway.  At the moment all my stuff is in one draw of filing cabinet -and that's nowhere near full yet.

ANYWAY - has anyone  actually contacted Ofsted and asked if they're compliant yet ?  It was mentioned at my registration visit - but I'm not sure if it was her or myself that brought the subject up.

x

I contacted them today and am waiting for a response!  Thinking about it I must add Coolmilk and the NMRU to my list to contact!  Just wondering when anyone might contact us and ask us the same things, or are we forum inhabitants just super ahead of the game?😇

• Like 1

ok so I am trying to work my way though his minefield .....displays in the setting......can someone clarify what these can or cannot contain? we have birthday balloons with names and dates of birth on ( no photos) will this have to go? and we also have a massive display of  photos children playing depicting all seven areas of learning and development in the EYFS.. We are the sole user of the building so no one else apart from parents and the occasional visitor see it.  This seems to be a huge task and I am slowly working my way down the list of things to do. I did ask my early years advisor about it a few weeks ago but she had no information about it.

• Like 1

Like panders, I think I will go down the consent route rather loose these lovely things, I want to keep their own drawers (sense of belonging and looking after their own things), names on displayed work gives them ownership and self-esteem,  how will they ever learn to recognise their name if they can’t see it in anything? 

So far my ‘consent’ requests (extra to usuals) will be for names/photos to appear on displays in the playroom/cloakroom including name badges, the paper LJ with names on cover in the playroom (no one who isn’t staff would ever be alone to access them) I will also elaborate on our current photo permissions to include using in displays, books of activities and marketing purposes and retained for (? Years after the child has left the setting).

• Like 2

I’m thinking so FM, I just want to extend consent for how long I might use them....I read a well known pin saving sites info  yesterday that’s on the top of the page (other pin saving sites are available-though I don’t know what they are) they’ve pretty much gone ‘legitimate interest’ for the lot ....so maybe that’s the route to take as I am quite interested or I wouldn’t have asked in the first place  xD

ps should probably extend use of photos to include staff consent too?

Edited by Mouseketeer

Received a reply from the PLSA payroll company regarding my data questions, the county council are going to get back to me! And the Early help hub are also going to get back to me. The others are either ignoring me or do not know themselves!  I feel that we early years people are super duper ahead of the game.  Respect and thanks to Rebecca and Lauren for this😘. If it wasn’t for this forum I would not have a clue or have been given any information from our LA advisors!  The forum saves the day again.😀😀. Even if it doesn’t make for a fun Easter holidays🙄

• Like 4

What did PSLA say ? Funny that county council and hub will get back to you, maybe you could offer to help them xD I also would know nothing if I waited for my county to send out information ...though I really should put this aside and do some normal prep for next term :/

Edited by Mouseketeer

I do find that LA often up date info well into the term - they obviously don't think we want to get our up-dates done during our "off" periods, that it will only take moments to pull all of this off.     Most of the documents I have looked at have said they are subject to change - so I feel a little stuck really.

• Like 1

I am full of admiration for my forum friends you have all been very busy!

My progress to date is 1. purchased a new filing cabinet and 2. downloaded a load of info

I am thinking that my next step mainly concerns body parts.......

I need to

1. Get my head out of the sand

2. Get my a*** in gear

:ph34r: :D xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

What did PSLA say ? Funny that county council and hub will get back to you, maybe you could offer to help them xD I also would know nothing if I waited for my county to send out information ...though I really should put this aside and do some normal prep for next term :/

The response I received from PLSA payroll was short and informative and what I wanted to know, she did make the point known that she would be sending info to everyone later in the month. (kind of got the feeling I jumped the gun a bit) Bit of a weird response from DBS, it was an answer like a politician would give, lots of waffle but nothing substantial🙄.  

Have just got home from work as have finished sorting, filing, squirrelling things away in locked cupboards where it will probably take me hours to remember where I put them and a deep clean.  Also moved the mud kitchen and have hurt my back as the units were so heavy!  But very pleased with where they are now and how clean the space where they were now is!  (At least there is no data compliance to worry about with that😂).   Tomorrow I am going to try and do all new consents for children and staff and then I am having next week off🤪(Yeah right)

I have been looking at document retention periods and have got the PSLA one but another one I looked at was conflicted with this🤯. So how long do you keep your accident forms and registers?

Off for some 🍷🍷 and 🍫🍫, This GDPR is turning me into a 🤪🤪

31 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I have been looking at document retention periods and have got the PSLA one but another one I looked at was conflicted with this

I think which ever you look at they have something different, some have recommended as well as required and what the h@#% does ‘reasonable time’ mean? How long is a piece of string?, the only thing I’ve seen from my county regarding GDPR was a newsletter type email with updates and a small paragraph with links to a blog and a data retention document which were both childcare connect, I’ve printed that and the email from them then if it’s wrong I have evidence that’s what we were advised to use :-D 

On 4/3/2018 at 16:21, Rebecca said:

Yes, that works - this is more about the whole laptop - then you don't have to remember to put files in particular places, because the laptop just won't work 

It wont work on mine, just tried it on a few different folders and the Encrypt contents to secure data” is greyed out

This encryption thing is beyond me, I can buy a key to protect pc and laptop (is that right and does each one need a diff key?) but what about the tablets we use, they are password protected and only used for Tapestry which has its own pin...is that enough?is anything else possible? 

So we write to all these people and ask them f they are/will be GDPR compliant from 25th May?

Are they all supposed to write back and say yes we are and this is how we are? With proof of how they are? What do we do if we dont hear back from them?

What if they only say yes, we are but dont show proof of how? Just thinking of large organisations like Ofsted or HMRC- cant think they're going to write to us all explaining how they are now compliant, or are they? We have to use them- got no choice.

I fully understand why we need to get proof of compliancy from the bank, payroll companies etc but why would we need to write to suppliers? They only have our (as in groups) name and address- they dont have any individuals info. 

Does anyones staff access Tapestry from their homes? How do we stand there? On their own laptops/tablets I mean. We have signed staff agreements about the use of Tapestry and work tablets etc.

Also our tablets at work are only used to access Tapestry, do we need to have passcodes on them? To access Tapestry staff have to sign in with a password- but quite often grab a tablet to use to take a  photo- if they had to put in a passcode to start it up as well as a password  the "moment'" could be lost. We do not store photos on the tablets.  

Sorry- I'm rambling - really just thinking out loud. So many questions- the more I am doing on this the more queries it is throwing up and the more resentment from me having to do it all!! In answer to your question regarding money Mousekeeter YES- I am going to be  logging the hours spent on this ludicrously time wasting exercise and claiming them.  

• Like 2

Ramble away, It is definitely raising lots of questions, I’m not really sure about suppliers either anymore, I was just running through who has any of the setting details, (I guess some have mine as I used to use them more when we were in a shared premises and the milkman knows where I live :P

Staff have their own work tablets which they can take home, like you say the password is a bit of a nuisance on some of them, the amazon fires are good for that as they can be password protected but you can also just swipe to take photos without logging in.

Think I might hold off on requesting information from third parties - much like we are writing to our staff, writing to our parents etc. about the data we hold and why and how, I feel third parties will write to us to tell us what they are doing, I fully expect something from LA etc., then when I don't hear anything if I feel it's important enough, I'll track them down and request information.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)