Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow Plan

OMG walk to work takes me five minutes, nothing when I left, arrived in a blizzard!  Never seen snow settle so quickly.  The school closed but we decided to stay open until lunchtime.  Had great fun with the children, but it’s such dry powdery snow that we couldn’t make a snowman.  We just made a blob with a carrot!  Luckily my son stayed home from college as it is 30 miles away and I didn’t want him getting stuck.  Unfortunately my silly husband didn’t listen to me and went to the Devon end of the county to work today so not sure if he will get home or not as we are very, very rural!

18473431-D772-421E-884A-A0DF312D9AE7.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, zigzag said:

About 10 snowflakes yesterday afternoon, think that is all the beast from the east is going to give us! 🤨🤨. Tell me about your snow and let me live vicariously through you!

is ours coming tomorrow zigzag? it looks like it's going to curl back up over cornwall/devon but we might be the little eye in the middle that gets missed.

great pics isp and inge

edit: "Oh wow zigzag our posts must have crossed :-O 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Haha 1

Well I am proud to say we are still open!  I have two staff (plus me), two toddlers (now tucked up in cots and fast asleep) and four "big girls" who are having a lovely time playing hairdressers.  Plus Lottie the dog, also fast asleep. 

Lots of snow and more to come.  We'll see what tomorrow brings!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

four "big girls" who are having a lovely time playing hairdressers.  

I had one of my most angry parents ever after a game of 'hairdressers'! :( #wonkyfringe

The mum even went on local radio to share her outrage and astonishment that I had let pre-school children use scissors without direct supervision.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I had one of my most angry parents ever after a game of 'hairdressers'! :( #wonkyfringe

The mum even went on local radio to share her outrage and astonishment that I had let pre-school children use scissors without direct supervision.

:o at the mum, not you obviously.......

• Haha 1

Happened to us years ago, 2 little girls had gone off in a huddle!    We regularly play hairdressers not a problem (now thinks touch wood),   Grandma picked the little one up who had had a piece cut out of her hair at the back and immediately noticed, where we had not,  not a huge piece, I might add, but it was the family's pride and joy apart from anything else that this little one had extremely blonde hair in a bob style.    Could have be soooooo much worse - another of ours a long time ago had scissors taken to his hair by his big sister to his fringe, that didn't end well:D I hasten to add that this was at home, rather than at the setting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Panders said:

Happened to us years ago, 2 little girls had gone off in a huddle!    We regularly play hairdressers not a problem (now thinks touch wood),   Grandma picked the little one up who had had a piece cut out of her hair at the back and immediately noticed, where we had not,  not a huge piece, I might add, but it was the family's pride and joy apart from anything else that this little one had extremely blonde hair in a bob style.    Could have be soooooo much worse - another of ours a long time ago had scissors taken to his hair by his big sister to his fringe, that didn't end well:D I hasten to add that this was at home, rather than at the setting.

We were very scared about having scissors in the setting for ages after that - and then .... same child cut a huge hole in her leggings when cutting out something on her lap - I wanted to resign on the spot rather than face mum - fortunately a new baby had been born and mum was slightly more relaxed this time! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are closed, lots of schools called it yesterday before even a flake of snow and our policy is to follow the local school, thankfully it did start snowing about 6am.....have fun if you’re open (and if you’re not) I’m a little sad we’re not...but only a little as the wind is howling and I’m writing this from a nice warm bed :-D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

xDHonestly Mousie stay in bed really not worth getting up at all today - well you might want to move from bed to sofa like me! 

I’ve made it as far as the kettle, may have to go and do the obligatory panic shop to the local supermarket...I quite enjoy the camaraderie between those that have battled through the 3 foot flakes of snow to get there 9_9

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

We have finally admitted defeat and closed.  We haven't had any snow here in Suffolk since yesterday afternoon but the wind has blown snow back onto the roads and it's minus 4 out there!

I am in the office having made all the phone calls.  One dad asked the reason we were closing ..9_9:oxD

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

We have finally admitted defeat and closed.  We haven't had any snow here in Suffolk since yesterday afternoon but the wind has blown snow back onto the roads and it's minus 4 out there!

I am in the office having made all the phone calls.  One dad asked the reason we were closing ..9_9:oxD

:oxDxD Daft beggar - dad not you obviously!

Enjoy your snow day Stargrower

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

Same for us in Norfolk. The problem now is the very low temperature and the strong wind blowing the snow onto the roads causing snow drifts which have blocked some roads. So SnowDay 2.

• Like 1

We are closed on Thursdays anyway so didn’t have to make a decision today and tomorrow it depends what staff can get in and what the school do as I may just fit in with them.  Think we got a few brownie points yesterday for remaining open in the morning at least!

3 minutes ago, lsp said:

Quick question.  Ofsted myth or Ofsted truth.  Do we have to inform Ofsted of closure due to 'inclement' weather??  

I have seen the question popping up a lot on other sites.  What do you do?

I wouldn’t have thought so, it’s common sense surely? Gosh if everyone notified them of closure they would be inundated!  Oo good idea lets crash their system🤭

• Haha 1

my local authority reminded us all that we had to inform Ofsted, I went on the site this morning and emailed the enquiries@ofsted, as this was the address Ofsted recommend.   Suspect they will be inundated with them, ho hum

• Confused 1

Closure due to bad weather is not stated in the notification requirements explicitly but I would say that being closed constitutes the following requirement: "change to to the premises which may affect the space available to children and the quality of childcare available to them". I think if it were me I would email (and keep a copy) just to advise them of your closure. It can't hurt to notify! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Panders said:

my local authority reminded us all that we had to inform Ofsted, I went on the site this morning and emailed the enquiries@ofsted, as this was the address Ofsted recommend.   Suspect they will be inundated with them, ho hum

I still haven't had that email O.o but s'pose I had better email them too!

Well pleased to see so many forum friends are now 'playing hooky' with me xD

Will update news from chez sunnyday on the 'Friday' thread as this is management issues and I don't want to 'out' myself - it's all riveting news  be sure not to miss it!:bananas:xD

• Haha 3

Hey Sunnyday, I'm not playing hooky.  How dare you suggest such a thing!  I'm in the office having called all the parents, done the February wages and am about to start on March invoices.  Oh and faffing around on the forum and looking at chocolate cake recipes on BBC Good Food xD:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rebecca said:

Closure due to bad weather is not stated in the notification requirements explicitly but I would say that being closed constitutes the following requirement: "change to to the premises which may affect the space available to children and the quality of childcare available to them". I think if it were me I would email (and keep a copy) just to advise them of your closure. It can't hurt to notify! 

Thankyou Rebecca.  Knew I could rely on you to pinpoint the information.  At least we can all review our policies and decide if we need to add this.  Something useful from the snowdays.