Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

FSF Live chat - Supporting staff

This evening we will be talking about how we support staff in the setting to be the best they can be:

• When staff start with you what do you do to help them understand the philosophy and ethos of your setting?I think this starts from the first meeting/showing them around and asking the right questions for your setting at interview
  • How do you support staff during their first few weeks with you - do you have buddying or mentor systems?induction day (with statutory stuff) then a programme of items including first aid/book corner and storytelling etc as many supervisions as I can manage !
  • When staff are not working in the way that you want them to how do you help bring them back to the agreed setting ethos and philosophy?Talk to them! if you start this from the beginning it isn't an issue...other staff will also reiterate
  • Which CPD courses have had the most positive impact on your staff and setting? Elklan/CFS and decent first aid training!
  • If you could afford it, what CPD would you buy for your staff to improve your setting? Lovely whole staff events like ABC does/Juliet Robinson and other inspirational guru's...also a trip to Auchtolone
  • What is your most common staffing 'gripe' - from them to you and from you to them! Other staff!! and the daft things they say in a moment! time and motion...tidying up!!!!

Please share your ideas and thoughts - if there are any documents that you refer to don't worry about putting them on the thread - I'll get in touch with you next week and gather everything together and post them up and put things in the resources library.

Thank you

Rebecca

You'll see that this thread is locked - you can't comment on it yet! I will unlock it just before lift off at 7.30pm.

I had a notebook for each member of staff, like a log book. I noted in our initial discussions at interview and their contact numbers, DBS etc. I used it when I was observing them and when we had any important chats. I noted down their trainings and what they were looking for, training-wise, so that when we got those forms from County asking what training we wanted, I had some answers. I have a rubbish memory, and if I hadn't kept a log of this stuff, then it would all have been lost. They were great for supervisions and appraisals.

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)