Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted and Nominated individual problems

eyfs1966

Ok I know that the issues of managers no longer being accepted as the nominated person has been discussed here at length, but can any one of you lovely people please let me know what happened when you filled in the dreaded Ofsted email excel thingy. Did you just chose a new Nominated individual from your existing committee members and bung that on the form, or did you have to go through the EY2 Process?

Ofsted are now finally chasing me via the dreaded email (I had hoped they had forgotten all about me!)

I would really appreciate any updates from anyone who is ahead of me in this process.

Thanks you!

Well, I've just today filled ours in with a new nominated person (currently me but will now be our Treasurer) She completed an EY2 last summer when she was elected to committee but I am expecting them to send her another.

I 've only just emailed it to them so we shall see.

It's a nightmare!

You'll have to go through a new EY2 routine for new nominated person even if they are already on the committee.

We've got a new manager as our existing one (and nominated person) is retiring. It's been a planned leaving date over almost 12 months so we were prepared for the change in nominated person and then the stupid new rules on managers being nominated person came in so we didnt do our new manager we did our existing chairman who had an old CRB. He had to do a new dbs and sign up to update service and then complete an EY2.

That was 3 weeks ago and he's heard nothing.

I rang Ofsted on Friday to find out how to notify of new manager and they refused to speak to me as I wasn't on their list of people

I'd filled in that hideous excel PROTECT document with our full committee and put myself as one of the Ofsted contacts way back in November.

That hacked me right off I can tell you.

They did offer to give me advice on my query and told me to fill in an EY3 and post it with a covering letter from chairman with changes. I politely declined to do this as I queried the EY3 via email with Ofsted in October and have a reply that states the EY3 is null and void.

I emailed Ofsted today asking them to clarify the exact route for management changes and to ask why my details aren't verified by their system - I'll let you know what rubbish they come back with.

It's so frustrating

• Like 1

Oh god, these are exactly the replies I was dreading, but of course expecting!!!!

Any one else got any updated info on all this? It's maddening as we are actually preparing to close down this summer, so this is for us just a pointless exercise, but I am dreading the situation where we end up with no formal nominated individual and therefore can't even lost down our registration.

From our recent inspection I'd say they wont accept anyone who hasnt got an EY2.

When I did our excel thingy, I made a couple of mistakes they soon told me about so personally, I'd plead ignorance regarding the manager not being allowed to be the nominated person, I've certainly never had an email or post about it and they cant expect everyone to have the luck of being a member of this site. ;)

• Like 1

I spoke to ofsted today about this if the nominated person (manager) is going to be on the committee you just need to ring them. But if a committee member is going to be the nominated person it needs an ey2.

I'm thinking about being on the committee to make it easier ( and able to do dbs checks) will discuss at committee meeting on Wednesday evening.

• Like 1

, I'd plead ignorance regarding the manager not being allowed to be the nominated person, I've certainly never had an email or post about it and they cant expect everyone to have the luck of being a member of this site. ;)

yep ive done the same! I reckon it's only for new registrations as that's the only place I can find a reference to it. We've been ofsteded and they were fine with me being the nominated person. The registered person can of course be a 'group' not an individual

I spoke to ofsted today about this if the nominated person (manager) is going to be on the committee you just need to ring them. But if a committee member is going to be the nominated person it needs an ey2.

I'm thinking about being on the committee to make it easier ( and able to do dbs checks) will discuss at committee meeting on Wednesday evening.

Oh dear, any idea as to why? Surely a committee member who has already completed the ey2 rigmarole ( to be on committee in the first place) should not require a new Ey2?

yep ive done the same! I reckon it's only for new registrations as that's the only place I can find a reference to it. We've been ofsteded and they were fine with me being the nominated person. The registered person can of course be a 'group' not an individual

To be clear, are you saying you've just left yourself ( assuming you are the manager and current nominated person and are not a committee member) on the form in section b, and then just listed current committee members in section c?

If so, have you then had any response from ofsted?

Ps have pm,d you back re tap a shape!

To be clear, are you saying you've just left yourself ( assuming you are the manager and current nominated person and are not a committee member) on the form in section b, and then just listed current committee members in section c?

If so, have you then had any response from ofsted?

Ps have pm,d you back re tap a shape!

basically yes! ...no they haven't got back to me yet (still holding my breath!)

• Like 1

On my original reply I just put one of the committee members down instead of me as I realised I could no longer be nominated person. I got a reply saying not consistent with the information they had on file. Just ignored it all since then! I did get a reminder last week. Will try just putting my name down and see what happens.

Eyfs1966 do you have psla constitution? We changed ours to a newer version which does allow staff to be on the committee. Will check at work which version. I think we had to send a copy of it and the committee meeting minutes when it was adopted to the charity commission?

Posted Today, 08:47 PM

diesel10, on 07 Mar 2016 - 8:45 PM, said:snapback.png

Oh dear, any idea as to why? Surely a committee member who has already completed the ey2 rigmarole ( to be on committee in the first place) should not require a new Ey2?

My understanding is this: there are various tick boxes on the EY2 form. If you complete the application as a committee member you tick the box for becoming part of the 'registered person'. At that point you would not have ticked the box for nominated person. When you get the response from your EY2 application it separately lists the outcome for each position (tick box) applied for separately. If a committee member becomes the nominated person they need to submit a new EY2 form, in effect applying for the position, and supposedly, checks are made to ensure suitability for the post through the DBS update service. Seems like a lot of faff, but thats automated systems for you.

I expected loads of problems as we have a management committee and four settings. I filled the form in with all committee details and put the manager/setting leader of each setting as the nominated person, submitted form and waited for calls and emails etc. Hey presto, four new registration forms dropped through my front door a week later - I nearly fell over with shock!!!

I expected loads of problems as we have a management committee and four settings. I filled the form in with all committee details and put the manager/setting leader of each setting as the nominated person, submitted form and waited for calls and emails etc. Hey presto, four new registration forms dropped through my front door a week later - I nearly fell over with shock!!!

Very interesting....and your manager/setting leaders are not committee members?

Posted Today, 08:47 PM

diesel10, on 07 Mar 2016 - 8:45 PM, said:snapback.png

My understanding is this: there are various tick boxes on the EY2 form. If you complete the application as a committee member you tick the box for becoming part of the 'registered person'. At that point you would not have ticked the box for nominated person. When you get the response from your EY2 application it separately lists the outcome for each position (tick box) applied for separately. If a committee member becomes the nominated person they need to submit a new EY2 form, in effect applying for the position, and supposedly, checks are made to ensure suitability for the post through the DBS update service. Seems like a lot of faff, but thats automated systems for you.

Ok makes some sense I guess....

Ok. Think I'm going to bite the bullet here and just submit form that reflects our current position ie that current nominated person is not a committee member and just pray that it takes Ofsted so long to process the form that they don't realise until after we have closed down.....

I don't think I have anything to lose, in so much as the worst they can do is tell me to change nominated person.

• Like 1

Well GFCC, I don't know how you've managed that. As they were quite adamant that a manager/setting leader cannot be the nominated person unless also on the committee. It just makes a farce of the system and the inconsistencies in the implementation of this.:(:(:(

• Like 4

When I ring to say yes I'm the nominated person and now on committee (manager) do you think they will want an up to date dbs? I last had a crb with ofsted 10 years ago. Who knows, probably depends who I speak too.

• Like 1

What a nightmare, look how much worry this is causing so many current NPs to try and get right when depending on who you speak to 'right' is different.... good luck :-/

It would also do ofsted good to take note of who is trying to sort this out and it mainly isn't committee, which should tell them they already have the right person as NP :-(

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 5

Ok I know that the issues of managers no longer being accepted as the nominated person has been discussed here at length, but can any one of you lovely people please let me know what happened when you filled in the dreaded Ofsted email excel thingy. Did you just chose a new Nominated individual from your existing committee members and bung that on the form, or did you have to go through the EY2 Process?

Ofsted are now finally chasing me via the dreaded email (I had hoped they had forgotten all about me!)

I would really appreciate any updates from anyone who is ahead of me in this process.

Thanks you!

What is the dreaded Ofsted email excel thingy? We haven't had anything like that!

lucky you! it comes with a letter from Gil Jones at Ofsted asking you to provide details of your organisation. they seem to be sending them out in stages. Some settings got theirs late last year, others are just getting them now.

Kiddywink - it is Ofsted "updating" their system!! ::1a ​That's what we were told in the email they sent us. I am the nominated person for Ofsted, but on the form in the bottom section I also put our manager and deputy down as being able to speak to Ofsted.

EYFS1966 - I am the chair of the committee and all our committee have (or are in the process of completing) dbs and EY2 forms for Ofsted. I believe the new PLA constitution 2011 now allows staff to be appointed to the role of holding trustees and therefore nominated person with Ofsted - we did get an email from them about it - hope this helps

• Like 1

This whole Ofsted process is crazy and I believe puts committee run settings under huge pressure and added stress to the manager. We have been trying to sort out dbs checks then EY2 for months and also change nominated person and as a manager Im constantly chasing committee to do forms etc. I phone Ofsted to find out if they have relevant information and they refuse to discuss!! I just don't think the system is fair as committee are volunteers and sometimes don't understand the urgency and importance of Ofsted being informed and updated. Been in my present role for 6 years and 5 chair persons I think it's great they want to be involved but don't think it can continue this way in today's early years settings.

• Like 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)