Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

term dates

finleysmaid

morning

We seem to have some issues with term dates for the rest of this year.....end of summer term /start in September and end of xmas term.

could anyone tell me what dates they are doing? we always seem to stick to the rules religiously and then find everyone else breaks up or starts before /after us!

The borough dates are weird.....including starting in September on a Friday??????

Sorry to admit it, but I have had a look at next years too! Quick to add, it's because our schools are open 39 weeks this year and we are only funded 38 and I didn't feel I wanted to give 7 FREE days, the way it was set up! I rang County and they had us start after the August bank holiday and we are finishing a week earlier on the 8th July, whereas schools are the 13th, due to funding. Next accademic year looks the same with our local schools again open 39 weeks. County hasn't but their funding dates online yet, but I would image the same happening. They did suggest we could open and charge parents..... we declined!

• Like 1

Hi I've been looking at this to due to funding dates. We will close on Friday 15th July and reopen on Tuesday 6th September. We will finish for Christmas on Friday 16th December.

Our LA dictates how many weeks they will fund each term in total. We also got caught out one year with funding and parents got an extra week, not going to fall into that trap again.

The problem I find is funding is worked out by start and finish of a financial year, whilst we worked to an academic year.

I hope I've got this right, I hope this helps or i might have confused you even more. :):):)

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

fredbear any help is appreciated....I can work out the funded hours but as you say the borough works to financial years not academic which is a bit daft since we all work in education!! Your dates sound much more sensible and about what I was thinking.....really don't see the point in starting FRIDAY the 2nd September!

• Like 1

'Last day of term TBC' is my favourite saying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I usually look at actual attendance nearer the time. If I can swap sessions during the last few weeks so that each child has had the full funding amount. That way we often manage to close a day earlier.

• Like 2

Academic year is 39 weeks. Nominally 3 x 13 week terms although in practice Autumn term is often 14 or 15 weeks and Spring term shorter.

now wouldn't that be simple if the eyf was based on this and not on very specific day by day calculations! like 14.6 weeks in September!!!!

Absolutely but that would be too easy wouldn't it.

Although an academic year is 39 weeks, schools then have 5 inset training days within this don't they.

We are also allowed 3 training days per year. These must not be more than 1 per term. but we must ensure all children have received their full quota of hours / weeks per year. :):)

Now I'm really confused and it doesn't take a lot these days. I thought schools had to give pupils by law 190 days of schooling. The other 5 being inset training days giving a total of 195 days. 190 divided by 5 = 38. . Have I got this completely wrong then.

Have I missed something.

Can someone more knowlegeable than I please confirm I'm not going bonkers.:)

• Like 1

Obviously not more knowledgable but Our school are 39wks with 5 days deducted to Fredbear for inset, training, development days or what ever they are now ....seems like 5 of each sometimes when I'm open and they have another day out :-/

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Ours are 39 weeks then school take 5 inset days, we however are not allowed inset days so are closed for an extra week. I'm shutting early for summer this year yay!

I do calendar based on school calendar for next year then in March the new financial year calendar comes out I check September return date for funding then confirm my calendar.

• Like 3

We work as our primary school. Open 39 weeks but also have 5 inset days. So for eg our LEA didnt fund the first 2 days back in Sept (Thurs/Fri) but we opened so that covers 2 inset days. Then if we finish for summer on wed they dont fund those days so that covers the other 3 inset days! Have to do it this way due to our close links to school. Our LEA produces a calendar that gives details of the weeks they fund, so 14 last term and then next two are 12 weeks.

I think it's not helped by the fact our 38 weeks is a financial year and that schools are [i believe] an academic year.

We have been caught out by this, also one year with a late Easter- funding stopped 31st March , and we ended up giving the children a free week! .

THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 3

kent always used to give PVI's a great calendar for this type of thing, everything was shaded in different colours denoting what would happen when, however, they seem to have stopped producing it this year and we have a generic schools one which I hate

kent always used to give PVI's a great calendar for this type of thing, everything was shaded in different colours denoting what would happen when, however, they seem to have stopped producing it this year and we have a generic schools one which I hate

Yes, we used to go by the school one.. :wacko: They now put term dates on their EY website but I still check the number of weeks :lol: :lol:

When easter is later, we claim any days for April (ie spring term) in the summer term. It is a pain and we have to decide whether to take the new starters on 1st April or just claim less hours and start them at the start of the 'real' summer term.

We changed the way we do this a couple of years ago following that year that had two Easters in the same financial year. We now fund based on 12 weeks (summer) , 14 weeks (Autumn) and 12 weeks (spring) and always starting on Monday and finishing on Friday (in payment terms). This is irrespective of school term start/finish dates and inset days. In this way we always pay 38 weeks per year, 570 hours per year. We do this for maintained and PVI alike.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)