Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3/4 year old funding mini survey

BroadOaks

Hey all, i want to hopefully get a good response from all many members regarding the 3/4 year old funding. I appreciate it is different rates per LA and that some benefit more than others it seems but i want to find out the following:

1) What LA area is your setting in?

2) What is your hourly rate per child this term?

3) Will you benefit from the new 30 hour scheme?

If we get enough feedback from this post it should lead to a nice discussion on why it benefits some and not others.

I understand if you don't want to share personal information but it would be very interesting to see the results.

Thank you

1. Kent

2. £3.91 (my charge for non funded is £4.70)

3. I won't be offering 30 hours - if I did I doubt that I would have any children who would qualify :( I know you didn't ask this but I don't even have any that qualify for EYPP......

• Like 1

Birmingham

£3.59

Cant offer 30 hours, dont think anyone can benefit in the long run. You'd just be paid by LA for 80% of your time, doubt anyone could survive that decrease in income

• Like 1

Solihull

£3.50/hour (we charge £4.33 non funded)

Can't offer 30 hours as we're only open 12 as it is! And wouldn't want to if I could.

Derbyshire

£3.92

Can't offer 30 hours - high demand means we struggle to offer 15 hours. 30 hours would be really difficult not enough space for lunch club unless whole cohort stayed all day and this would seriously reduce total number of children who could access any pre-school sessions.

korkycat

• Like 1

Norfolk

£3.30 Base rate topped up to £3.71 with quality enhancement (for level 3 staff) and flexibility enhancement for offering 6 hours per day.

Norfolk also pay a deprivation payment of between 15 and 25p (I think off top of my head) for children from deprived postcodes.

Could benefit but would struggle to fit funded 2 year olds in. I worry about where the next cohort would come from as we wouldn't have space to back fill the leavers until they've left if that makes sense.

Edited by HN2015
  • Like 1

Norfolk

£3.30 Base Rate - topped up to £3.84 quality enhancement (Level 5) and flexibility enhancement open 6 hours a day.

(Charge £3.30 for all non-funded hours)

We could benefit from the 30 hours - We own our building, we already open for 27 hours a week and we are not running with full occupancy. Problems are: we are rural, we dont attract working parents as we are open term time only and current staff not interested in extending their hours.

• Like 1

Windsor and maidenhead

£4.13

Possibly....due to the fact that children would buy am and pm session and lunch club which joins the two together. We make money on the lunch club. Although I suspect we only have a couple of parents who will qualify....so ?????

• Like 1

Wow great responses and some very mixed amounts indeed! So the majority don't or can't afford to offer the 30 hours and i will presume this is the norm for the whole of the UK.. so did the government even do any research into this before telling the voting public THEY want to extend the funding?!

I do wonder if the government are aware of the funding that we ACTUALLY get...do lea's have to report back to them what they take off the total.?

finleysmaid - i was wondering exactly the same thing! I presume every LA would get roughly the same amount of funding (that sounds fair right) but not all LA have the same staff levels and overheads (it is a corporation after all) so whatever is left after they take the "needed" costs they can then divide out to settings around the areas. The more in need an area is ie with deprivation, SEN workload etc will also be a factor on how much funding they will get exactly and will be presumably more for these areas due to higher and more qualified staff requirements.

Another factor is obviously how many settings they have to send the funding onto of course.

1. Kent

2. £3.91 (my charge for non funded is £4.70)

3. I won't be offering 30 hours - if I did I doubt that I would have any children who would qualify :( I know you didn't ask this but I don't even have any that qualify for EYPP......

Well the "garden of England" is a very nice place to live i presume and has many good industries that it thrives on including tourism, real estate and retail to name a few. So it is good to hear some areas of the UK don't have as much depravity and therefor as much need for this funding. Although the government simply couldn't get away with it.. wouldn't this funding be better used at much higher rates in the areas of most need? Would this then bridge that gap they talk about wanting to do?

Well the "garden of England" is a very nice place to live i presume and has many good industries that it thrives on including tourism, real estate and retail to name a few. So it is good to hear some areas of the UK don't have as much depravity and therefor as much need for this funding. Although the government simply couldn't get away with it.. wouldn't this funding be better used at much higher rates in the areas of most need? Would this then bridge that gap they talk about wanting to do?

No not too much 'depravity' :oxD or 'deprivation' in my particular corner of Kent - although certainly plenty of both in other areas of my county :ph34r:xD

Funding is a complete and utter joke (in my humble) - I have run my setting (successfully if I do say so myself) for more years than I would like to mention - but how much longer I can carry on without a rise in funding level - well I'm really not sure :(

• Like 3

Depravity would be more accurate when it comes to government handing out funding :D but yes i meant deprivation of course. See i was deprived of a good English education up here int northwest!

Anyways i have added a quick map to show the areas (approx) of funding amount thus far.. also the Bolton amount includes all the additional elements ie Deprivation (right this time) and also opening over 9 hours per day, over 50 weeks per year and also having an EYP or EYT at our setting :P so this is why maybe it seems quite high in comparison. i am hoping i have the true figures from the other areas included.

gV0USyJ.jpg?1

• Like 4

Hello broad oaks.

Have you seen the Early Years Benchmarking Tool, which will tell you the rates allocated and also various things like additional rates for qualifications, deprivation etc. It does vary widely across the country, because there isn't a ring fenced amount for early years, it all comes out of the DSG for all education 2-18, so early years has to bid for its share of the kitty through the Schools Forum. So just because one LA is getting much less is not an indicator that it's all been kept back by the LA.

If I can do the link, hopefully you will find it here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-benchmarking-tool

happy reading, it takes a bit of ploughing through

Just a Monday morning cheerful boost to this post.. it would be great to get more replies with some different area funding amounts if possible or even confirmation of the areas already included.

I took a look through the link above showing how the funding is allocated. I understand each LA need to bid for their required funding and this will differ per area hence the difference in amounts we can already see.

What is more important for our country at this time.. HS2 or Childcare? Foreign Aid or Childcare? Trident or Childcare? Could we not put less into these projects (or scrap them altogether imo) and more into childcare.. that's the ultimate question?

Do we need a faster rail network? Do we need to give money to corrupt governments in Africa? Do we really need an improved Nuclear weapon or any at all?! It would be interesting to find the figures for all these projects and how much money goes into each project.??

1) What LA area is your setting in?

I'm childminder in Northumberland.

2) What is your hourly rate per child this term?

£4.80

3) Will you benefit from the new 30 hour scheme?

I probably won't benefit but I've insulated myself against the possibility and i can see that parents would benefit and I'd expect to have one child each year claiming a funded place for one or two terms.

• Like 1

Surrey

£4.15 (our cost is £5.00)

We opened up our offer this September to allow children to take 30 hours. Take up for 30 hours 2 children. However because children can now opt for full day rather than sessions some are accessing 15 hrs as two and a half days.

My big problem is parents are deferring their child starting until they get funding at three. I cannot tell you the sleepless nights this issue is causing.

We are preschool taking children 21/2 to 5 term time.

Theoretically could do 30 hours if funding is right.

My big problem is parents are deferring their child starting until they get funding at three. I cannot tell you the sleepless nights this issue is causing.

Yes we struggle with this, our parents will only do 2 sessions (our policy) if they aren't funded

Majority when 3 go to school nursery those that decide to complete the year with us expect to jump their hours up to the full 15 once funded, which is great BUT funding is now less than fees and we never seem to make up the shortfall now, living off our reserves & fundraising like crazy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)