Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role play area for twos. (We have some ££££)

We have been given some money to buy new role play equipment for our twos room. I am excited but don't want to rush and waste it. What do you have in your twos room for role play and which company do you buy from? Any recommendations great fully received.

Our 2 year olds love playing in the home corner. We are always being offered tea and coffee! We have the usual cooker, washing machine, sink, fridge freezer and microwave. We bought natural wood last time as the painted stuff got scratched and scuffed. Lots of language used!

Sadly, when you think of the lives of some of our 2 year olds now, where are they taken??? In the virtual world - shopping is delivered to the door, even fast food is delivered. Lots of ours spend time in doctors waiting rooms and a few may visit a dentist or hairdressers. I agree with others, it is difficult to introduce role play areas when children have not had those 'real' experiences. Things that we may all take for granted?

Just a couple of pleas from observations I make when Im out and about.

Be generous in what you buy. Its frustrating to see half sets of things all cobbled together in the home corner because bits do go missing, go into pocket, get hidden in the sand etc. I hate watching toddlers searching high and low for a teaspoon because they have all gone from 'the set'. Always worth buying some reserves.

Second, storage. I often see piles of home ware stuff piled into huge deep boxes which not only young children cant carry, but they can't see whats in them. So sometimes I see one huge box which contain pots pans, clothes, cutlery, food items, plates etc. Consequently what do toddlers do? Yep, tip them out all over the floor. Well organized resources, in smaller boxes, not only help toddlers to see where things are but also where to put them away...plenty of sorting and classifying for maths going on there.

Obviously much will depend on how much you have to spend and whether you are cooking for large items such as furniture or the smaller stuff.

Id also perhaps think about what is is you want to achieve. For example if you're thinking about extending language, have you got stuff that encourages talk..telephones for example? If you're wanting to develop certain physical skills, what are you doing to enhance that through role play etc?

Enjoy spending.

• Like 4

I really like using read items - saucepans, plates, children's cutlery, dustpan and brush etc. I think they relate to it much better as plastic stuff looks nothing like the things in their kitchen at home

Another plea from me. If you do go the route of buying 'real' items think about how the children are going to play with them. I have been in settings where they had full sized plates and pans but child sized tables and cookers. The items could not be used properly as they didn't fit.

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you for wonderful responses for reflection. I have been asked about having a shop - I know that's an everyday experience but personally feel the gain of a home corner which has endless adaptations form each child's experience would out way going to the shop? What do you think is a shop too old and complex?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)