Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adult led activity's To do or not to do ?!

We started with Fathers day yesterday......four members of staff telling 'Fluffy Duck Champion ' not to 'perfect ' the childrens artwork (all the same GRRRRR ) before taken home....'but i like it to be perfect...' 4 members of staff....it should be THEIR work !!

no effect ....new member of staff is mum of young child at ours.. was asked....how would you like your daughters work to come home.....?? ' Her artwork,...not yours.....!! ' Enough said....effective hope so....probability.....not xx

• Like 1

This is a really interesting topic - years ago when I started in early years we directed the children in creative activities - all looked the same - parents loved it. Now I have completely changed my view after giving children in my setting free choice to express creativity. After reading the "little boy and the red flower poem" (Google it - makes me sad every time I read it). We were recently inspected by Ofsted and she asked why no adult led craft and I explained why. We do have adults interacting and supporting new skills but children are the designers and artists!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adult led is fine, but not for the sake of it............whenever we plan ANYTHING, we need to ask ourselves "why have we planned this activity - does it directly link to a child's interest/request or next step or are we just planning because it is "a nice warm fun activity" (which is ok sometimes, but when we get into the habit and start planning these activities all of the time, then we loose focus on the children's learning!) if an activity doesn't interest a child - they will not learn much! We are very spontaneous here and "plan" mon/tues only, gauge the children's interests/needs and then put ideas down for the rest of the week - which we can alter if these needs/interests change! The role play went from VETS to the CAFE today in the space of half an hour because a child said "I would like a cafe with real food"....so we have a cafe with real food!!

I completely agree with the above two posts, creative artwork should be about the process not the end product.

John, that seems like a good way to plan activities for the week. Ihave previously been told that there should be adult led activities/ focused activities happening daily, even 3 focused activities a day ( one activity by each adult)...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)