Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two year old check

Going to catch Mum next week, currently child is in hospital with asthma problems. She has had HV assessments regularly since adoption at 14 months, as both parents have additional needs, so has been getting assessed on a regular basis. In the summer term she was graded at 30 months with speech and we thought it was a bit optimistic, but as Mum was with her at the time, she is probably different. But this last one is just plain silly!

Maybe it was an error then Cait - slip of the pen - computer whatever was used, but best to get to the bottom of it now.

It's a grid with the assessed blocks for various things shaded in by hand, 60m being the top band available. But yes, need to discuss it with Mum as soon as we see her next

It's a grid with the assessed blocks for various things shaded in by hand, 60m being the top band available. But yes, need to discuss it with Mum as soon as we see her next

Change of subject - see you are still struggling to get to sleep on a Saturday night then!!!

• Like 1

I think the idea is to have an integrated progress check that Health VIsitors and the Setting complete together but as often happens, things were introduced before there was the capacity to make this happen. There's a huge shortage of Health Visitors and lots are being trained to make up the shortfall. There are 5 pathfinders working on an integrated progress check, the National Children's Bureau gives some more information:

http://www.ncb.org.uk/what-we-do/research/research-projects/a-z-research-projects/implementation-study-to-examine-the-delivery-models-for-the-integrated-review-at-24-30-months

It says that results are expected in early 2014 so it will be interesting to see what happens!

We had our monitoring visit for our 2yr olds checks yesterday and our improvement advisor loved them (thank goodness!). The only comment she had was that we might like to add a section about children's interests as we only comment on prime areas which do not always highlight their interests. :1b

• Like 3

Ooh food for thought ours are very simple , each prime area, child's name dob , it is written from their perspective and it also has a part that says what my key person will help me with and what my family can help with , the interests are included in the prime areas .

Kent's two year check is one sheet which goes home, and asks what child likes, doesn't like doing, any other questions, that is returned and key person fills in similar question re setting, what child likes to do, doesn't like. Next page is the grid which is all prime areas and age groups then a page which breaks down prime areas which get reported on, this all goes back home and parent can comment and then sign it off.

All children are now entering my setting having had their Health Visitor 2 year check - our children start virtually the day they are 2 - a couple of years ago most started not having seen a HV for quite some time, so progress made.

We are still leaving doing our development check until the child is about 2.5yrs old as toileting is still the main issue.

In our area, Health Visitors do NOT want our checks at all still - so no progress there yet

I wasn't aware they were supposed to want ours.

I thought it was a different type of check from theirs which together with their findings would highlight any child in need. Once identified there was enough evidence to begin intervention sooner.

We are unlikely to have simultaneous checks - so at our pre-school they are done sometimes at 32 months - long enough for any catching up to have been done by a child, but if not - then we are ideally placed to flag up a problem.

I have seen 2 Hv checks so far and both have been frankly woefully inadequate in their information, in respect of what pre-schools in Kent have to provide. It does seem rather disjointed compared to how this two year check was originally rolled out to us by the County, and neither HV used the same format, so maybe the HV's are not on side with this, although in Kent I was told that they were specifically recruiting HV's again to cover 2 year checks because current staffing wouldn't be able to cope with the workload.

• Like 1

My understanding is that we give it to the parents and they bring it to the HV's check, if they wish.

If the child hasn't had the check prior to starting with us and the parents want ours to be seen by the HV, they need to tell us when their appointment is so we can get it done, perhaps sooner than we intended. (Parents are informed about this when joining.)

If the parents don't ask to have the summary sooner, they get it at the end of their child being two. However, if we have any concerns we discuss this with the parents immediately, independently of any checks.

A little hit and miss springs to mind. We take children from 2.5 years and no check is completed until any child has been with us for at least a half term. This enables us to observe and more importantly settle them in.

We are beginning to have some regular visits from a couple of our local Health Visitors, and hope to collaborate with them to link their checks with ours, obviously highlighting any areas of concern.

I do like finleysmaids idea of commenting in the Red book and are looking into including this into our home visits soon.

Unfortunately the idea of these checks being completed and the opportunity to share with HV's is somewhat missing, due inpart to a huge shortage of HV's and their enormous workload.:)

• 2 weeks later...

When asked if a new 2.5 year old, who started with us this week, had had her 2 year old check, I was told by the parent that when she tried to book one with her HV she was told that they had been stopped as staffing was too low to complete them and there was no date when they would be restarting to do them. Pretty disgraceful

Well there we go! All the best laid plans and all that........ all this "joined up" services is so disjointed in places that children will continue to slip through the net. Thank goodness for settings like yours when this happens Max.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)