Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Help For Under Twos- Needing To Start Again

RBear

Im taking over an under twos room and have been put in there to help 'sort it out'

and was wondering if anyone can guide me with some samples of planning and how to approach it. I have previously only worked with preschool children, have attended some courses designed for unders twos but have to say apart from reinforcing sensory play I havent learnt much else! There seems to be very little about to support practitioners with under twos!

Thank you

Basically - go with the flow

Be ready to accept that the room will always be a mess as they love transporting and emptying but dont yet understand tidying.

Lots of language and talking opportunities

Keep any group times short and make sure any books are at their level

Try and allow lots of space for movement - if I had my way there would be no tables in our room

Ensure there is a cosy area - especially important for those who may still need to nap/rest

Sorry - I just re-read and noticed you said under 2s not over 2's.

Our baby room is all about following individual children - we only have 5 babies at a time so is easy to do so.

So, if we have someone about to walk we would have cruising furniture available, someone interested in throwing - we would have lots of soft balls available etc.

I think the baby room is the one place where you can really plan from the child without having to ensure other stuff like letters/sounds, maths play etc is included when the children arent ready or interested in doing them.

Ensure treasure baskets are available, low climbing equipment, board books, some cuddly toys, sheer fabrics for hidey boo.

But the one thing that needs to be available over everything else is a responsive caring adult - s/he is worth more than a room full of toys

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached my new Continuous provision plan (adapted from some fabulous examples on here), but I am still undecided on what kind of short term plan I need to use for such young babies (the majority are under 1 year old). OH NO IT WONT LET ME ATTACH BOOO! I could email if any one wants to see....

Edited by Guest

I have attached my new Continuous provision plan (adapted from some fabulous examples on here), but I am still undecided on what kind of short term plan I need to use for such young babies (the majority are under 1 year old). OH NO IT WONT LET ME ATTACH BOOO! I could email if any one wants to see....

Yes please!

Do, please, follow Sue's suggestion about looking at Birth to Three resources!!

In my old setting the under twos were never 'planned' - it was all about following the individual child, so it was following indicators from observations. Having said that, I also feel it should apply up to age three, and sometimes beyond if necessary. The Unique Child!!

Sue

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any blank planning sheets for weekly planning. At the moment in my setting we do an Am/Pm sheet which then is split into sections of "planned activity", "resources used", "focus children" and then "area of learning" The problem we are having however is when we do activities such as mark making, soft play, puzzles They are not being able to link to the new EYFS as for an outcome. I have been asked to research into other settings way of planning in a baby room to see how they have come over this issue.

Please any ideas, black sheets, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...

Our planning sheet is just a table with areas of the room down the first column and weekdays across the top. We write a few planned activities for the individual babies based on their 'I will develop...' for that planning cycle. We don't fill all of the spaces in by any means - leave lots of gaps to write their child-initiated activities and how we may have enhanced them - this shows how we are encouraging their 'characteristics of effective learning', and with babies it's good to be as flexible as possible!

Zoe

• 2 years later...
Guest Kburbery

Hi all,

I am currently studying the Early Years Teacher Status, and have a 20 day placement scheduled in the Baby Room. I am looking into adapting the learning environment and making adjustments to the planning. I wonder if anyone can give me some feedback as to what learning bays you have set up in your baby room environments; sensory, creative, story area, music etc? And also what planning sheets you use to plan activities. We currently have planning sheets which involve identifying a play interest, and extending to meet the Prime learning requirements; physical, communication and language and personal, social and emotional development.

I would be very grateful for your feedback. Please feel free to attach templates of your planning sheets.

Kelly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)