Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special School Early Years Thread

Fantastic will be brilliant to see you and show off all my amazing little ones!!!! Which school are you at?

Have a good week

xxxx

They are up at the top of your screen. Probably with a red number 1 next to it. I'm on my mobile so can't remember what it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Put a note on about Learning Journeys, but sent it to EYFS and SEN bit by mistake. Was meant to come on to here, and didnt know how to change it!!!!!!. Hope everyone is well?

xx

• 2 weeks later...

Saw your thread BevL, we are not doing learning journey's. We regularly assess the children during the day through 'quick obs' and file photo or annotated work with them or if follow up work is needed, inform future planning. Don't know if you do it as well but I can send you the sheet we use if you wish.

Quote:

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hi All how are you? Only a week to half term!!!!!! Just wondered we are re looking at Learning Journeys, how to make sure they are levelled, track progress, as well as show what fantastic learning opportunities our specail little ones have!!!!

Just wondered if any of you wonderful people in specail, would share what you do please//// We ahve had some thoughts so will post those when home as not got in school at the moment

Thanks a lot and Happy Last week

BevL

Saw your thread BevL, we are not doing learning journey's. We regularly assess the children during the day through 'quick obs' and file photo or annotated work with them or if follow up work is needed,i inform future planning. Don't know if you do it as well but I can send you the sheet we use if you wish.

I would be interested in looking at the sheet you use

That would be great if you could share Raddy!!!!!! We have a sheet for Learning Journeys which is just being typed, will share asap. Hope everyone having a good holiday??? Well think its a holiday - been sooooo busy with school stuff!!!!

See you soon

x

We have adapted our observations recently and use some to form their new learning journals. I can talk to you about them on Monday Bev! Not got any at home, been having a week off from school stuff!

Was wondering if any of you guys working with in special schools would know where I can source some child friendly chew necklaces for a child we have who is awaiting an autism diagnosis but is, at the moment, putting everything in her mouth including other children! All the ones I have seen online don't seem very inspiring for a 3 year old and I am not sure I could persuade her to wear/use it. Many thanks in advance

Hi Nichola that would be great thanks. Just had a few days break, now trying to get back into school planning etc!!!! Even with 30 years in teaching, still get in a stew. Hair cut and Learning Journeys tomorrow xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all the "special" folk out there!!!!

I am just starting to use the I Pad for my PMLD little ones and its working really well for focusing, tracking, simple cause and effect etc. There are lots of great apps out there for children with special needs and the I Pad has enhanced our learning sessions a lot.

I have done a basic recording sheet to jot down observations, but was wondering if others of you out there had different methods of recording, tick lists etc. I have the Switch Progression Rd map from Inclusive Technology which is brillaint and could possibly adapt bits of that if I was allowed, (am going to check) but would love other peoples ideas and thoughts. Happy to share what done already if any use to others.

Happy Saturday

xxx

• 1 month later...

So ladies, how are we all getting on? I have enjoyed the break but we are back in on Thursday.

My topic next half term is supposed to be food. However only 3 of mine can have anything orally, even tastes so I've decided to do a country each week and use the foodof that country as well as the music and dance. I have found a massage story about making pizza so we are starting with Italy and moving on each week to other countries. What do you guys think?

Hi Nichola Hope you had a good Christmas with that gorgeous little boy of yours? Now I am in panic mode and wondering if I will get all planning done for next term, Always worry but somehow once I start it seems to get organised.Our topic is The World in my town, which has never been a favourite one. Neve mind onwards and upwards as they say!!!

We did Food, Glorious, Food the first term and like you most don't eat. However we had lots of fun. Your ideas sound great. Have attached my plans, if they are any use????

Hope to hear from you soon

xxx

Nichola I think with food even if they don't eat it there are still lots of other senses they can use so a great topic.

I don't plan topics ahead as some of my children are more able so we can follow their interest but I still need to think of a taster for the start of term. Oh gosh not sure of your topic BevL that doesn't sound an easy topic well it wouldn't be me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again

Happy Saturday.

Am working alonside another special school and as you can imagine we are talking about planning!!!!! AAAAARGH!!!! Theirs is great but so, so long. Have shared ours which they like, but wondered if any of my "special friends" out there would be happy to attach a copy of their long/medium/short term planning that they do please, so that they can see some other fantastic examples from people in special schools.

As you know we follow the officail guidelines, but need to make it special and appropriate for our amazing children!!!!!!

Would be really, really grateful, and know it would help eveyone.

Thank You so much

xxxx

PS Happy to attach what we do if anyone feels it would be useful to compare. Let me know!!!

Off for a freezing dog walk now, as 4 pleading brown eyes are gazing up at me, then back to plan for next week!!!! Oh it's a day off Saturday!!!!! Ah well one day we will get a full weekend!!!!! Wouldn't change my job for the world.

Hello

Can I ask- are people out there who work with "special children" (PMLD, ADS, SLD) focusing on the PRIME AREAS more than the specifics????

Thanks

xxx

Yup! My sessions may look like they are more specific based from the timetable but ultimately when you look at my planning it is the prime areas that are my main focus. For example I may have a session saying 'Understanding the world' but my focus targets will be communication and physical mostly with a few other bits thrown in. I have year one and two as well as reception so have to find a balance that meets what I'm supposed to do for all my special kids.

hello I am hoping someone may be able to help me please. I have a child in reception in mainstream school with a diagnosis of classic autism. She is at present waiting for a place in a special needs school which we dont expect to occur until September. She is in a foundation stage unit which is huge and not sensory sensitive by any means, it is loud busy and bright. She has echolalic speech for much of the time but can say toilet when she wants and jug if she wants a drink. She does have some other basic words as well.

I have tried to post this on the forum but am not sure if I have done it right. At the moment she is running around the classroom pulling things off walls and units to get the blue tac and the teacher in the class believes you cant be strict with her unless you shout at her. I have tried chewy sticks and thera putty but nothing seems to work and I wondered if anyone has any ideas about what I can do.

I will say I took her into a quite room last week for the full day where I got a lot of work done with her and she didn't even ask for tac however on taking her back into class I was told it didn't count as it was not done in the classroom. The room is full of distractions and even in the nuture room there are many distractions. I have spoken to the teacher who keeps telling me my predecessor was brilliant with her and managed very well in the nuture room, but the observations I did with her before she left the child was not getting what she needed. I cant have a learning station because there is no room even though I have identified areas where this is possible and the work she is expected to do I would say is way beyond her capabilities at the moment e.g. her teacher had her doing rhyming games last week when she hasn't got that type of language yet although she can match the pictures.

I know what I need to be working but it cant happen at the moment. Sorry for the rant I just feel very frustrated or this child. It is going against all my knowledge and training but at the moment I need to stop her taking the blue tac please do you have any suggestions. I believe it is a stimming thing caused through anxiety at being in that particular room but as I am not allowed to take her out I need to find a way of helping her. please many thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)