Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special School Early Years Thread

Hello all. I know there are quite a few of us with pmld/sld/asd kids and thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk.

How did you guys get on this week? Wednesday was our first with the kids and it was crazy! One child off but still 6 out of 7 kids in wheelchairs, 5 of those being hoists! I shall not be needing rocking to sleep! Oh and 6 kids tube fed out of the 7 in means my TAs were v busy! Things will get better as we get used to it. Got one ta in on mon and tues so she's not worked with the kids yet and another hopefully bqck in after being off all week so things can only get better eh?

Hi Nichola, Like you have had a busy week and no trouble sleeping!!! 11 pmld children, 10 in chairs and one totally blind!!!! Spent the week in the bathroom, tube feeding, hoisting and trying to organise some sort of routine - not quite got there yet though!!!!! That is my plan for this afternoon!!!! We did have a nice Jabadao session, time outside and fun in our fantastic sensory room, so felt we achieved a little!!!!!

Have you got to grips with all the planning yet? Have posted a few bits and will add others as I do them, so would really appreciate your comments and help please. Just wondered what do you do for short term each week. We have one format, but think it needs tweaking!!!!

Have a happy weekend and try not to do too much planning!! Tube feed time rota now aaaarrrgh!!!!

xxxx

Think this thread will be really useful for us "special gang"

xxxx

Your class sounds v much like mine! I have 4 partially sighted and one of those is being re-assessed as being totally blind, 2 others not far behind that! I think me and the VI team will be even closer than usual this year. Oh and the OT, we had him in class all afternoon one day!

I don't do a weekly plan. I plan for the half term and then write on that what I intend to do each week. If I change it,I just scribble on the half term plan in the evaluation section. We did the same when not in EYFS and got through 2 outstanding Ofsteds doing it so I'm not changing now!

I need to do a whole week with the kids then redo all my timetable! I wrote a tube feed/oral feed timetable for mine as some have both, 1 has just oral but the rest have combination or just tubes. We have peg bolus and pumpe, mic-key bolus and pump so it's all fun and games for my TAs and I try and get the majority of the oral feeds and oral exercises done.

Edited by Nichola

Well I too had no problem sleeping :D Had a good week but trying to get to grips with how everything will fit it. I too am working with a VI child and I haven't any experience at all so any support/ tips will be much appreciated. I have a little boy who is bolus fed every hour......which is taking some getting to grips with. In fact I have a complete mixed bag of children which I am not sure how to plan for......from very low ability to quite high ability - objects of ref, signing, pecs, speech, MLD, SLD, ASD, PMLD, walkers and non walkers - all within one group!!!

That's quite a bunch Aunt Sally. I miss having talkers! I have one who makes vocalisations but that's it really this year. I had a very chatty bunch last year so it's a big change. A feed every hour seems a little odd. Surely he/she has only just finished when it's time to start again. How do you ever position him somewhere? I have one boy who has 2 bolus and 3 oral feeds during the school day which have to be so far apart which is hard enough.

Hi Like you am up early and guess what - planning!!!! Trying to get to grips with focus activities ? Do you plan for them? If so How? Was happy with everything before and like you had two outstanding Ofsteds but keep thinking I need to put these Characteristics of learning on sheets? dont know???? What do you think? Also did you see my rough medium term on the forum???? Is that similiar to you and you just add weekly????

Sorry only just switching on so brain befuddled. !!!! Will get working and post when feel a bit happier with sheets. Thankfully snack - oral and tube feed lists now seem ok!!!!! Well until tomorrow when parents decide to change feed times. Aw well, still a fantastic job with the best children in the world. happy Sun

Dont work too hard.

xxx

I am up early thanks to my son, not out of choice!

We have those bits at the top of our plans as I posted one up in the planning thread so they are there. I just add a sheet in for weekly activities. I also have a sheet on my wall which talks v briefly about what we will be doing in each session.

Thanks will re check in planning thread?????

Have a good day. Dog walk now, then back to sort and finish laminating signs for oxygen, feed labels and bathroom plans!!!!!

Thanks again for your help and advice. will post when I can. My continuous prov are posted somewhere as is what we do for medium!!!!!!

xx

Just read the start of this thread and it brought a smile to my face, I am not alone! I am at a new school, new to PMLD and new to EYFS and feel like a fish out of water. Not sure where to start, thought I would get a feel for it when I start, but as yet, still panicking.

We also spent the week trying to get some sort of routine going and making small progressive steps. I was hoping to get something down on paper this weekend for my staff to follow but just jotting down ideas as yet. My new topic is ourselves, homes and families. I'm sure there is so much to do for this topic but used to teaching KS2 so really need to simplify my ideas drastically!

The sun is beaming here, going to try and have a break and plant a few things, then get back to it!

Happy Sunday!

That's quite a bunch Aunt Sally. I miss having talkers! I have one who makes vocalisations but that's it really this year. I had a very chatty bunch last year so it's a big change. A feed every hour seems a little odd. Surely he/she has only just finished when it's time to start again. How do you ever position him somewhere? I have one boy who has 2 bolus and 3 oral feeds during the school day which have to be so far apart which is hard enough.

He can't tolerate large feeds so it has to be given in small amounts throughout the day......and although it doesn't a huge amount of time it still ties someone up or interupts what we are doing.

I am not alone! I am at a new school, new to PMLD and new to EYFS and feel like a fish out of water.

I am sure you will have a lot of experienced practitioners working with you who will help you along the way :D ....and it helps me a lot knowing that there are other 'special' people out there helping each other.

Hi Like you am up early and guess what - planning!!!! Trying to get to grips with focus activities ? Do you plan for them? If so How? Was happy with everything before and like you had two outstanding Ofsteds but keep thinking I need to put these Characteristics of learning on sheets? dont know???? What do you think? Also did you see my rough medium term on the forum???? Is that similiar to you and you just add weekly????

Sorry only just switching on so brain befuddled. !!!! Will get working and post when feel a bit happier with sheets. Thankfully snack - oral and tube feed lists now seem ok!!!!! Well until tomorrow when parents decide to change feed times. Aw well, still a fantastic job with the best children in the world. happy Sun

Dont work too hard.

xxx

I plan focus activities BUT sometimes feel I do it to justify and keep a record of what we do for other peoples benefit rather than my own...... Our school isn't very early years friendly and I find its very top down driven. I am in the process of tweaking the sheets to see if i can make them a bit less onorous. Sometimes because we do a lot of repetitive activities if they don't come under continuous provision I write them up as 'ongoing' e.g. number time or rhyme time.

I wonder if any of you can help with 'target setting' which my head is very keen on and has asked me to come up with a way of doing it. I don't agree with target setting in EYFS however i don't think i will get out of it this year. We set a percentage for end of year p levels but I have argued that I don't feel it it possible to say percentage wise where they will be within the six areas of learning next July.........possiby with my pmld children I know they will be within the 0-11 months. Do you have a way of recording very simple targets for your little ones?

WOW fab how are you? Hope you settling in ok? No expert at all but will help in any way I can. This is a great site and lots of people have fantastic ideas!

Have a good week

xxx

My school is amazing, can't get in early enough and don't want to leave, just need to get to grips with the in-between bits! I have enjoyed reading some of the great posts and hope I can help others once settled.

Enjoy your week too. x

Ah lovely to meet more people. Glad you are enjoying your school raddy. My class are going to take some getting used to. Not had all 8 children and all 3 tas in at the same time yet!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hope all our special friends are ok out there and enjoying term. My new class absolutely brilliant and having lots of fun with our FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD Topic.

Will send message again soon

Take Care

xxx

Love my kids but boy having all 8 in is hard work. It has to be like a millitary organisation to ensure we get some teaching in around the feeds and toileting. Staff who come in to class (physio staff mostly) have commented how happy the vibe is in my room and how impressed they are that all my children are getting their physio programmes done every day.

Hi we getting into routine, but 11 pmld children keep us busy each morning!!! Glas everyone ok? Hope new revised planning going ok, and that children are as fantastic as always. Happy Weekend

xxxx

Great to hear you got positive feedback. Hope your little ones are doing ok and like us having lots of WOW moments each day??? On with the "P" word now, and IFS and PLPS and photos etc - all go but wouldnt change a thing

Have a good weekend

xxx

Sorry our school jargon!!! PLPs are Personalised Learning Plans, and IFS are Individual Focus Strategies (ex IEPs). Hope you have had a good day. Got lots done, now ready to unwind for tea nad a glass of wine before finishing off Feeding Guidelines.

Enjoy Sunday

xxxx

Hmm sounds like the same thing to me! I only have 1 child who is solely orally fed so v little work there as salt write those with mixed feeding or nurse writes purely tube! I am becoming more knowledgable about pumps, bolus, pegs, mickeys etc though teachers don't do that feeding so quite often I'm a bit of a spare part!

Hi I am at Kingfisher Special School, which is a fantastic school in Oldham, where the head and deputy support me 100%. Maybe we could visit each other at some time to share good practise etc

Enjoy Sun

xxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)