Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Reg Visit - D-Day Is Today!

That's great news !- I did my literature review for my BA hons on the impact of the natural environment on children's holistic development, which was extreemly positive - so with you all the way. Hope it's a huge success :1b

Thank you all - we are all over the moon, especially the FS leader, she had been with our pre-school for 21 years. It means our village still has a community provision which is fantastic. We are the only Pre-school Forest School in England that I have found which operates entirely outside without an indoor base (although Id love to be proved wrong - its lonely being pioneering :( )

Our site is in a gorgeous woodland, we have a small stream running through our site, a fallen tree to climb on, a grand oak tree to rope swing from, a slope to slide down, log circle and fire pit. We also have a lovely meadow to the side for the windier days (also has a great slope for sledging!)

I'll keep you all updated with progress and at some point I'll try to upload some photos. We do have a Facebook site is youd be interested in following us pm me and I'll forward you the link

Kx

Sounds wonderful, some pics would be great, you must have some hardy staff, I,m already anticipating the 'cold' comments come the end of sept :(

We've already done one winter and no-one froze ;) We live by the swedish addage of theres no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

I guess the good thing is that the staff we have signed up to be outside so they know to wrap up warm and be prepared

Kx

• Like 1

WOW well done I am thrilled for you. I can't help but wonder about all your 'stuff' - I am a pack away pre-school and thinking of all the resources we have I am intrigued as to how you manage storage wise with no indoor provision.

we do have a shed in the woods for storage, however we keep our resources to a minimum to encourage the children to use what is provided by nature around them. What we do have are open ended enhancements. I have spent the summer selling off all of our plastic stuff and furniture from the indoor preschool. Eventually we do hope to build a wooden shelter in the woods as well, where the younger children can rest etc.

Kx

Well done, Kirsty and team!

Well, I won't be able to visit :o ; why don't you give it a little time for reflection, then do us a Blog about how you sorted it all? I'm sure there would be lots of interest. Be prepared for lots of questions, now you are a 'resident expert'

Sue

• Like 2

we do have a shed in the woods for storage, however we keep our resources to a minimum to encourage the children to use what is provided by nature around them. What we do have are open ended enhancements. I have spent the summer selling off all of our plastic stuff and furniture from the indoor preschool. Eventually we do hope to build a wooden shelter in the woods as well, where the younger children can rest etc.

Kx

Oh, sounds like Heaven......enjoy!

• 8 months later...

I battled with this when I opened our setting. I wanted to start and end the session by the edge

of a woodland, but weren't allowed to do this by Ofsted. They said that I had to have premises

because there was a chapter in the then National Standards with the heading 'premises'!

After a mad, long struggle to find a building to rent near woodlands I found a village hall and later

a corner of a barn, so I run two small settings.

The buildings have proven very important as I we wouldn't have had enough parents interested

in having their child to us if we didn't. They seem to be reassured by the availability of a cosy place.

They have also enabled us to survive financially as we provide warm meals on our return and a

short afternoon activity, which means that we have something to charge for as the funding doesn't

give enough - free play outside requires small groups and few children per adult, i.e. high costs.

I battled with this when I opened our setting. I wanted to start and end the session by the edge

of a woodland, but weren't allowed to do this by Ofsted. They said that I had to have premises

because there was a chapter in the then National Standards with the heading 'premises'!

After a mad, long struggle to find a building to rent near woodlands I found a village hall and later

a corner of a barn, so I run two small settings.

The buildings have proven very important as I we wouldn't have had enough parents interested

in having their child to us if we didn't. They seem to be reassured by the availability of a cosy place.

They have also enabled us to survive financially as we provide warm meals on our return and a

short afternoon activity, which means that we have something to charge for as the funding doesn't

give enough - free play outside requires small groups and few children per adult, i.e. high costs.

Sounds lovely! :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)