Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics Of Learning -How To Do Document ?

I was wondering how you plan to use the CoL on your observation sheet

Hi, the plan in to just tick the CoL/s you think the child is showing during ob, then record this on a CoL overview sheet ( someone has put a good one on here somewhere) by just adding 'see ob dated' hoping this will then show overtime if a child is an 'all round learner or learning in a particular way, from this we should be able to offer activities in a way that suits them as well as encouraging learning in different ways........well that's the theory anyway, but I gets it's just going to be a learning curve for us all :/

• Like 1

Cait you're an angel because we are still living in the dark ages of not being able to open doc.x documents and with all the raving comments about the obs forms I was beginning to get a little bit twitchy about not being able to see them!

THanks Mouse and NannyRosie for sharing - seeing sheets like these enables the old grey matter to absob all the CoL's much easier and get them embedded

Does anyone know how many gigabytes a brain holds?...I swear mine is near capacity this term!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Hi, the plan in to just tick the CoL/s you think the child is showing during ob, then record this on a CoL overview sheet ( someone has put a good one on here somewhere) by just adding 'see ob dated' hoping this will then show overtime if a child is an 'all round learner or learning in a particular way, from this we should be able to offer activities in a way that suits them as well as encouraging learning in different ways........well that's the theory anyway, but I gets it's just going to be a learning curve for us all :/

Just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction for the CoL overview sheet have tried to do a search but then spent 3 hours reading lots of other interesting threads xD

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing. I like the way the statements for each CoL are there. Until I get used to them and can hold them in my head like I used to with the old profile points this will help remind me what I'm actually looking for! I would probably just highlight relevant ones when I do an observation.

I'm pondering what to do with shorter observations (post-its!) and photos though. Up until now I've just put an abbreviation next to them once stuck in a learning journey e.g. DA:8 (Dispositions and attitudes point 8) I want something that's just as quick to note!

I am liking the formats offered up on here and with a bit of modification my team and I will be trialling these from September , we had a discussion in staff meeting about whether this will be the main type of format now - and have decided to scrap post its and short observations in favour of doing these using a target child approach. The new EYFS gives us much more flexibility in not having to justify every judgement we make about a child with 3 post-it notes so we are embracing that wholeheartedly! :D As for photographs - we only include those that are backed up with observations so will include these alongside the sheet ( we are using large scrapbooks as learning Journeys and there is room on each page for examples of work and photos as well as an A4 sheet!)

• Like 1

well I've searched and searched and can't find it :'(

maybe someone else can remember which sheet i mean and where it was, it had CoEL areas down left, with 3 columns to record how children were learning termly, maybe have it saved on work computer.

Thank you mouse63, I've just had a quick look at that on iPad, I'll save it properly when I'm on the computer because that looks like something I could use.

• Like 1

Jumping on the band wagon, I am in Reception, will try and up load my latest attempt at a long ob, have detailed all CoL as I find these hardest to get my head round, in fact I am wondering if some characteristics are more or less repeated in more than one area - hopefully it will become clear once I get back into observations...

new EYFS blank ob sheet.doc

Guest katylouise1984

Im SO confused so throw all you know, this way so I can try to make sense of it! lol

I like the ideas you have all come up with, all fab! Well done! My only confusion is, in the spaces in obs sheets trackers etc you have created for the COL's will you be quoting the statements from the table in the developement matters documents that you believe it covers?

Wil there be an expectation to track COLs alongside the actual 3 or 7 areas of learning do you believe? Will these be summerative for example termly on review sheets?

I understand we will have to report on CoL at end of reception year, not track, but I want to highlight what I observe to help me understand a particular child's CoL over the year, as I anticipate i will find this the most tricky bit next year.

On my ob sheet I just highlight aspects of Dev matters which link to the observation. (I also note which age band from what I consider to be the main focus during the observation - not each aspect I have highlighted)

Guest cathy m

Thanks, I have been using photo obs sheets for a while and realise putting characteristics on is something we need to consider

Hi, loving all the ideas. We are getting no support from our local authority, in fact they have cut our suscription on here. So have recently re-registered. It is a minefield knowing what to do. We previously were given an over sheet with development matters on, for each age band. Which we would high light termly, when the child achieved these. We also did observations on 'post its'.

We love all the observation ideas and don't know if to forget the post its? Also is or are you going to be using an overall high light chart? The problem is that the advice seems to change so much, from advisor teams and from county to county!

Hi rose 2006 and congratulations on your first post of, hopefully, many! The general consensus seems to be that highlighting is 'out', according to my county at least and I have heard similar from others. What we are dong s noting against the development statements perhaps a shirt sentence or an indication of what a child did, so it may say 'photo OBS dated 11th September' or something. That way we can keep track and also notice'mossing bits that we could cover.

Haha, just read my post again - really must check after doing it on the iPad - it thinks it's SO helpful!

'short sentence' , 'missing bits'. WHY it would assume I meant 'mossing bits' is anyone's guess! Haha

• Like 2

Great shares mouse63 your observation sheets are the same as our.....pre new EYFS we had dispositions and attitudes in the box where you have CoL's so thanks for a great idea i'll be swapping the D&A for CoL's :D

why swap? You could just have a sentence like I've done on ours that says "Laevers Involvement scale 4 Well-being 4" doesn't take up much space, just put in the appropriate number

why swap? You could just have a sentence like I've done on ours that says "Laevers Involvement scale 4 Well-being 4" doesn't take up much space, just put in the appropriate number

Cheers Cait.....but i think it helps the staff, particular the ones new to planning and observing children, to identify the characteristics in the observations they do making them look at the obs in more depth rather that just skimming for the areas of learning if you know what i mean :) if its what OFSTED are going to look for too then its right in their faces and for other obs we'll use sticky dots to cross refernce to CoL's - also suggested on here.....I can't remember by who or what thread but great idea and saves writing out all the time so if you read this thanks :D

When you're recording an observation and adding a CoL to it, would you select more than one CoL (eg 'Playing & Exploring' AND 'Creating and Thinking Critically')? Or just one per observation? I'm just trying to understand how a CoL judgement would be fully documented - it seems to grow in complexity if you're not only selecting a characteristic, but also choosing possibly more than one, and then attaching more than one of the qualifiers (don't know the proper name for the bullet points underneath?).

And then adding Leuven scale points for well being and involvement to each qualifier as well? Am I over complicating things here? Otherwise recording a CoL for just one observation might look something like this:

Engagement:

* Risk Taking

- Well being, scale 4

- Involvement scale 5

* Self-Belief

- Well being, scale 3

- Involvement, scale 5

Thinking

* Describing

- Well being, scale 3

- Involvement, scale 5

* Evaluating

- Well being, scale 4

- Involvement, scale 4

Which begins to look a little nightmarish to me, for just one observation...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)