Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Supervision

How are any of you going to tackle the new emphasis on staff upervision under the revised eyfs? How often are the supervision meetings supposed to take place, and what format are you implementing? I am struggling to work out how we will accomodate this, in a way that meets Ofsted's needs, but isn't too onerous on us.

Just to put this into context, we are a really small , highly qualified and professional staff team, with years of continuous service, who all work together really well, so frankly, supervision isn't really going to drive standards in our setting. For us it's just going to be a "keep ofsted happy" policy and procedure.

• Like 1

Just to put this into context, we are a really small , highly qualified and professional staff team, with years of continuous service, who all work together really well, so frankly, supervision isn't really going to drive standards in our setting. For us it's just going to be a "keep ofsted happy" policy and procedure.

You could be describing my setting above. To do this on a regular basis and to keep within ratio we will have to employ extra staff- to do out of hours will mean paying extra salary and I really cannot see that it will make any difference to the way we work but will cost us money we dont have. So like you I think it will be a 'keep ofsted happy' one. Aren't we lucky with all this reduced paperwork!!

• Like 5

actually we feel the same not sure how this is going to work or going to happen going to ask around if I get anywhere will post them on here but other than that looking forward to seeing other peoples ideas. Does anyone already do this?

Agree wholeheartedly with you!

Our local EY team have told us it should be termly, i.e., you have two and the third is your appraisal. A good setting will have avenues for communication anyway but I think I am going to use mine as an opportunity to discuss children's progress 1:1 and see how staff are feeling about the revised EYFS (to start off with)

• Like 2

I do what someone said their LA said: once a term with the summer one being the appraisal. It does take resources (staff cover) which means money :( It is useful for addressing issues such as punctuality, attendance, particular problems such as record keeping, I set a simple target - usually training which up until now has been free. If there are no problems it's an opportunity to praise hardworking staff and give it in writing - I type up the notes and sign, ask staff member to sign then they keep a copy.

It's required by the DfE, but is it in the revised EYFS Ofsted inspection schedule? - it's certainly not in the section 5 schools inspection framework so I don't think Ofsted will be inspecting how often it happens to be honest!!

It's required by the DfE, but is it in the revised EYFS Ofsted inspection schedule? - it's certainly not in the section 5 schools inspection framework so I don't think Ofsted will be inspecting how often it happens to be honest!!

Well wouldn't it be nice to know what the revised ofsted inspection schedule says!! It was due to be published by the end of June, but is still not available on their website. It would be nice to know!!

• Like 1

I think maybe some of the thinking behind these supervision meetings is also from the safeguarding context, an opportunity for staff to discuss any concerns they may have either about a child or even another member of staff that they might not feel able to discuss at normal staff meetings etc.

At the EYFS training I attended, It was suggested we had a policy/ procedure on supervision to show Ofsted . They seemed to think it would be one of the new things they would look for. I think keeping a note-book when you have a 'chat ' with staff is a good idea and I was going to 'buddy' staff into groups, with a level 3 leader being their first point of contact, and then they would report to me as manager. This would give a sort of chain of communication to enable other staff to take on the supervision role.

I understand there will be some training on supervision and in Nursery World, June issue, they did a 2 part article on this subject, so I think it needs to be considered in our summer actions!

Just to pick up on what Deb said, and to agree with all the comments too. I think from a safeguarding point of view, especially if managment have a very good level of safeguarding knowledge and training, these supervisons could be key to spotting concerns with children, that staff might have not picked up on, or realised it was a concern at all. It would also be a great way for a more qualified member of staff to pick up on development concerns.. although i do agree all staff sould have a required degree of training to spot this themselves. Again i think these supervisions are very important and if it helps just 1 child to progress further, or to intervene a problem for that 1 child, it has been worth it!

less for staff more for managers that what they forgot to mentioned had changed in the R EYFS

I thought once a term, i think it could be a good idea especially supporting staff, we do this but in a 'chit chatty' manner and not usually on a 121

i do the usual appraissals

im thinking page knocked up on word and placed in their files

BUT i agree that it will cost money to do this if i have to take staff member to a cozy corner away from everyone to do it, so this may cause a problem because i will probably to it in my hall around my 'office' :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found this document from a Council that you might find useful. We have been doing "supervisions" for years with managers, but not with all staff members - very hard to see where to find the time unless we do it after work, but we're trying!

Thanks for sharing - have saved to read later! :1b

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

The article is a four part series all about supervision- the first one is attached below (hopefully it works). I have found it a good read, but you do need to be a subscriber to read it.

X

http://www.nurserywo...DCMP=ILC-SEARCH

Glitterbelle - you are a complete star! :1b

Thank you

Doh - I didn't read properly - so of course I can't reach it through your link.........

Edited by sunnyday

hi,

has anybody got any supervision templates they would like to share. also are we to go as far as making a policy for this.

I wondered this too, I am not sure if I have my head around it yet. To me it seems no different from appraisals which ours are quite an organic process so I feel alot of what this would be covered although we only do appraisals once a year. :huh: we are supposed to have training but apart from feeling a bit last minute the training can be a bit hit and miss with regard to usefulness.

can't read article on nursery world cant afford to be a member at the mo :ph34r:

• Like 1