Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics Of Learning

Hi! I have been on training today and they have told us we need to record characteristics of learning. Can i just ask how others are going to record this?

If we use the Leuvern scales well, I think we should cover it, shouldn't we Catma? As you say, it's about how the child did what was observed, their involvement levels and well-being - it's how I interpret it, anyway

I would say so, you're just considering the child's engagement, motivation and thinking skills which would be demonstrated through what they do all the time! It's only the EYFSP that requires a written commentary for parents/Yr1 teachers as far as I recall, though not so upto speed on the 2 year old check. But even then it's not "reported" to anyone other than the parents/yr1 teachers.

Cx

On the training today they said we had to record this in their learning journeys and on our planning, this is what confused me as we already record the leuven scales as part of our progress matters, we do this 3 times a year.

The ob sheet we were given did have a list of characteristics of learning but randomly listed, I have split mine into the 3 CofEL on new observation sheet, we were also told that the new ofsted framework didn't want to see any type of recording done on a termly basis.....but I,m sure all lea,s will be telling us something different :/

Totally agree thumper rabbit beginning to feel like overload now when you think of everything that now needs revising.....observation formats, planning formats, learning journeys, continuous provision sheets.......as well as transition paperwork for those going, all the necessary paperwork for those coming arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 2

we were just told that we could do what ever suited our settings. As to the learning characteristics I think we will just make sure that we mention levels of engagement and how they we were doing things within the normal observation rather than writing it in a separate box as this seems to just be repeating. We did think that we may change our adult-led sheets and planning to include the learning characteristics though (we do that now just under different heading so we will just shuffle it all around) don't know if that helps!

I've just finished delivering a swathe of briefing sessions on revised framework for my LA and the message we've been giving out is to just carry on observing/planning as they do now. The requirement to report on the characteristics is only at the end of EYFS and nowhere else. I do think this will cause a lot of confusion though simply because of the LACK of specific guidance on this. My advice to practitioners at the briefing sessions was that if they are carrying out observations and assessments effectively, they will already KNOW where their children are in terms of these characteristics as they aren't new, they have just been pulled out of the existing framework and made more explicit. I've typed all of the characteristics onto one A4 page and inserted that into my tracking document but to be honest I still don't know what exactly I will be doing with it as I'll be teaching in Nursery class. I'm planning to discuss this in more detail with other ex early years consultant colleagues. Confusion will reign in the absence of National Strategies Early Years Conferences/Early Years Consultants as everything will be more open to interpretation by individual settings/schools.

I really like the new dev matters and i think these CoEL are very important and should be written into our observations naturally.. if we can help children to learn more effectively then we are doing a great job, and everybody benefits. As you all know, sometimes children for example won't try do do something again, because they feel like they only get "1 go" or feel silly trying again, so if this can be observed, something can be done to make that child feel like it's perfectly fine to try again at anything, and progress further much faster hopefully. Many of these characteristics can be encouraged by adults and other children even, to help a child who might just need that encouragment to achieve even more from what a setting has to offer.

Yes we all do these things naturally within our settings, but hopefully just using some ideas from the CoEL and implementing them even more within your setting will make a slight difference at least. We have made a CoEL board with "buzz words" that staff can use within our setting when doing an adult led activity, or even a child led just observing, to encourage the children more than ever before.

Anyway i know all this is fairly obvious, but i just thought i would mention how important these CoEL really are :P

• 2 weeks later...

Update on CoL.

Had a meeting with ex-colleagues on Friday and we've decided we will add a box to each area of Continuous Provision planning showing how CoL can be provided for. We have also decided to add a box for observing/evaluating/identifying CoL on narrative observation template. We are talking brief notes here though, not half a page of closely written text.

We discussed whether the phrases along the lines of those suggested in the 2yr old Progress Check might be useful to look at when reporting on CoL at the end of YR. The draft copy of the new EYFSP Handbook also goes into more detail about how important these are and how they should be approached. There isn't a requirement to track the CoL in any way but we decided that we will probably include them in discussion at termly parent's evenings etc. Also, if they are not included in planning in some way, how will you know you are providing the right experiences to enable children to develop them effectively. You can't just ignore them until the end of YR then suddenly realise they've not had the right opportunities earlier in EYFS. Settings/schools which provide a rich and varied learning environment, where practitioners are experienced and know what to look for, will already be doing most of what is required, the challenge will really be for those settings/schools struggling to implement best practice, for whatever reason that may be. No doubt all will be revealed in the fullness of time, especially once the Ofsted bandwagon starts rolling. I'm off to another briefing session next week (to be delivered by one of the colleagues I've been meeting with) and it will be interesting to find out how other practitioners (all of whom will be from schools) are thinking about these.

I really don't see any reduction in paperwork/red tape/bureaucracy anywhere, it will just look a little bit different on paper and there'll be even wider variations in interpretation than we have at the moment.

I really like the new dev matters and i think these CoEL are very important and should be written into our observations naturally.. if we can help children to learn more effectively then we are doing a great job, and everybody benefits. As you all know, sometimes children for example won't try do do something again, because they feel like they only get "1 go" or feel silly trying again, so if this can be observed, something can be done to make that child feel like it's perfectly fine to try again at anything, and progress further much faster hopefully. Many of these characteristics can be encouraged by adults and other children even, to help a child who might just need that encouragment to achieve even more from what a setting has to offer.

Yes we all do these things naturally within our settings, but hopefully just using some ideas from the CoEL and implementing them even more within your setting will make a slight difference at least. We have made a CoEL board with "buzz words" that staff can use within our setting when doing an adult led activity, or even a child led just observing, to encourage the children more than ever before.

Anyway i know all this is fairly obvious, but i just thought i would mention how important these CoEL really are :P

I love the idea of the 'buzz words' - can you give me any examples please? Thanks :)

is it not about noting their learning style ie visual, auditory or kinesthetic (sorry to eaarly in morning for spelling!)

and about any noted schema so these can be incorporated when planning for those children

WBI is a seperate thing

• 2 weeks later...

Well our new board includes these self made designs with the words included...

6JvUf.jpg

5FoyO.jpg

D0VZa.jpg

I hope this helps or gives ideas.. and feel free to use these :D

I do like these! I will definitely be using them on my wall! Great for letting parents see what's going on as well as a good memory jogger when writing notes. Thank you so much!

Ooh, 'develop' has no 'e' on the end

Edited by Cait