Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs And Sen

Hi We are a special school with children who have a wide range of SEN. We are just starting to look at planning changes for September and wondered if anyone out there would be willing to share their planning or thoughts on planning.

Many thanks

x

PS when we have something in place I will post it on the forum if it is any use to others!!!

:huh:

I'm moving into eyfs at our special school in Septrmber. Only found out v recently so not really looked. What kind of sen are you? My new class is PMLD.

Thanks for replying Nichola,

We have 3 SEN classes ASD, PMLD and SLD. I have th PMLD class in September who are fantastic, just trying to make sure planning is right. Think we will be concentrating very much on the 3 Prime areas as these are "key" to our little ones

Have a good day and will post any suggestions when I have got my head round them. Thanks

x

Edited by Guest

Wow, only 3 classes?! I thought we were small with 9 with 65 kids.

We must be a similar school as we have asd sld and pmld.

OOOOOPs sorry we have 3 EYFS classes there are 16 classes in school with about 125 children!!!!!!

Having a planning "get together" with my team on Mon 9th so if we come up with something I think will help will post it to you!!!

xxxx

Hello I'm also in a special school - we have 10 classes Nursery to Y6 - I'm currently in the Nursery with 14 full time equivalent places for morning and afternoon - in September I'll have 30 children in total! Needs vary with ASD, SLD and PMLD. The reception teacher (she has 10 children) and I are currently reviewing our planning documents, recording, trackign progress etc and, likewise, will post this once formulated.

Good luck both as I know working in SEN poses it's own challenges with EYFS - but worth every moment!

Hi I also would like join you all in search of ideas for planning the EYFS in September. We too have three mixed classes - ASD, SLD, PMLD - with EYFS/ KS1 in them . We are also looking at how we can track progress in a meaningful way because even the DMs need breaking down into smaller steps. There is a huge drive in our school to produce data for ofsted as I am sure all schools are doing with the new ofsted criteria . I would really appreciate input from other special schools.

Guess we should all help each other. Like you say we need small steps, lots of repeptition and to make learning FUN and meaningful for our specail learners. Will post anything we come up with asap

Take Care

x

• 1 month later...

As an EYFS department at school we are sharing the workload for developing new plans. Here's the first one I've done, one for our music sessions. We often have someone come in to teach music as well as doing sessions in class.

Music Sup Prov plan.docx

As an EYFS department at school we are sharing the workload for developing new plans. Here's the first one I've done, one for our music sessions. We often have someone come in to teach music as well as doing sessions in class.

Nichola, thank you so much i really like it. Sometimes you need someone else to show you an example of how they do it to lift the fog.

I also wish I had someone to share the workload!!!!!!!!

Edited by Aunt Sally

Glad you like folks. There's the nursery teacher obviously , then asd infant teacher and the ks 1 job shares as they have 2 eyfs kids each in their classes.

Hi Nichola, Replied to you, but it disappeared!!!!

Thanks for music plans, great and given me ideas too. Just about to start re vamping continuous provision sheets and get myself back in work mode. Had two wonderful weeks in Scotland, and I think the brain is still up a mountain somewhere!!!!! Will post what I can asap, so you can see what we have come up with.

Enjoy the rest of your hols

xxxx

PS are you the Nichola who knows Glenys???

Ohh no, I don't know a Glenys!

I have written a few other plans since the music one, but they are at work as I went to work to do my paperwork!

Happy Planning one and all.

Sat at the computer with continuous provision sheets and trying to change bits.

Have posted first one I have changed (I hope?????), and would really appreciate any comments/how to improve it/changes needed/ extra bits etc - bad.........or maybe good!!!! Ofsted really liked the originals from old EYFS but not sure where to put all the different bits, and if have covered everything I need to!!!!

Thanks in anticiaption of anyones help and comments!!!! Will wait to hear what people think in case it's rubbish and I need to completely re think!!!

xxx

MALLEABLE MATERIALS new EYFS.doc

Hi - just had a quick look - I think it's fab - def not 'rubbish'! :1b

Wondered why it said 'Listening to number names'? Is that because it's for very young or SEN children specifically?

Doh! Ignore me - just realised which thread this is in - sorry!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks Sunnyday for your positive comments. It is for SEN children with complex needs, the majority who are at the every early stages of learning, so we say number names at every opportunity so they get used to hearing them

Thanks again

xxxx

Thanks Nichola, just plodding through some more now. Do you think it covers what is needed? Then tackling medium term - gulp!!! Our topic is Food, Glorious, Food, so the Hungry Caterpillar and lots of sensory activities are calling!!!!

Good Luck with all your planning

x

I think so. I have one for 'understanding the world' session that I'm doing using playdough and other sensory materials as a medium/short term. Our coninuous provision plans we decided to do sensory wet and sensory dry rather than lots of plans if thst helps.

Happy Planning one and all.

Sat at the computer with continuous provision sheets and trying to change bits.

Have posted first one I have changed (I hope?????), and would really appreciate any comments/how to improve it/changes needed/ extra bits etc - bad.........or maybe good!!!! Ofsted really liked the originals from old EYFS but not sure where to put all the different bits, and if have covered everything I need to!!!!

Thanks in anticiaption of anyones help and comments!!!! Will wait to hear what people think in case it's rubbish and I need to completely re think!!!

xxx

Thanks Nichola, just plodding through some more now. Do you think it covers what is needed? Then tackling medium term - gulp!!! Our topic is Food, Glorious, Food, so the Hungry Caterpillar and lots of sensory activities are calling!!!!

Good Luck with all your planning

x

Hi BevL

Your continuous provision planning looks great and seems to cover everything you need, well done. I remember your plans from the original EYFS and they helped me enormously. You don't need to reinvent the wheel just tweak the DMs. I'm finding mine a little onorous because I am having to cover a wide range of DMs and feel I need to cover the specific areas too. What do your KS1 children do in your school? We have mixed EYFS/KS1 all doing a EYFS curriculum. Are you solely going to plan for the three prime areas which I am thinking is perhaps the way to go with my pmld children but I think some of my KS1 children need a bit more as this is their second/third year with me. Starting to feel stressed....eeeek!

For my MTP planning i tend to write up a 'settling in' plan for the first half term - new children usually change the dynamics of the class..........and plan loose topics/ activities. I haven't picked a topic as of yet but might cover the Hungry Caterpillar as a starting point as its such a lovely multi-sensory story and I have lots of resources for it. I'll prob have some planning too so will give you it if I can find it.

All the best

Thank you Nanny McPhee and Aunt Sally, really appreciate your replies. Despite many years working with EYFS I still dont have a great deal of confidence when it comes to paperwork and do worry about what I do!!!! Just want to get things as right as I can for the children, and never feel what I do is good enough!!!! Though many others disagree!!!!!! Let me crawl around the floor, making learning FUN for my special little ones and I am soooooooooo HAPPY!!!!

Yes I am definitely focusing on the 3 PRIME areas with the class I have, though on our medium term plans which we are starting with I have added the other areas, as occ they may be needed. Will try and attach our first attempts, when finished typing and again would appreciate your thoughts. Did the template weeks ago, but not filled it in yet, as The Hungry Caterpillar and sensory ideas for the children keep getting in the way - can't imagine why I prefer to sort out that, can you??????

At the moment the classes we have are just EYFS, and KS1 follow the school curriculum designed around Key Skills etc.

If Continuous provision sheets are any use will willingly attach when done, (they too are in the pending pile) like I did with the others many years ago!!!!!! What a good memeory you have!!!

Off now to sort Objects of Ref, some simple Boardmaker symbols and set up my Hungry Caterpillar prop box. The small fan heater to use with a switch, for the sun, arrived by post half an hour ago!!!!!!

Thanks again and always happy to share anything. As you say it's no point us all re inventing the wheel if us "SPECIAL GANG", can help each other!!!!!!

Happy New Term when it arrives

xxxxxx

NEW PLANS MEDIUM 2012.docx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to EYFS this year and PMLD. Love what you have done with the continuous provision sheets BevL to coincide with the new EYFS, thanks for sharing too Nichola!

BevL I have been asked to think how to add communication, i'm assuming things like switches, to a similar layout which i'm finding rather difficult. if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)