Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Electronic Learning Journeys

Hi

I have spent the last 2 days trawling the internet looking for companies who offer an online facility for staff to record childrens progress / photos / videos etc which can be securely accessed by parents, but have not come up with much!!

The main two i have found is http://www.babysdays.com/ and http://www.interactivelearningdiary.co.uk/Home.aspx

Does anyone have any experience of these??

We are 90 place day nursery with approx 110 children attending so need something quite substantial that could manage this.

There are a couple of other sites which require iphones / ipads to capture images then to send direct to database, but assume this cannot be achieved due to safeguarding??

I would really like to hear from anyone who has a system in place that they already use. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm curious as to why you say those sending to a database from an iPhone can't be used due to safeguarding reasons? We trialled one 18 months ago using these and so long as it is set up and all aspects of the safeguarding agenda are considered carefully it should be no more of a problem than taking photos and storing them on a computer anyway. The use of these devices simply removed the extra step of connecting the camera to the computer and then uploading to the database. The IPhone/iPad/iPod could be used without a sim card if there was wireless internet access available. Sorry if I've not understood what you meant though.

Hi Holly35

Thanks for your reply :1b

Sorry should have given more info!! We do not have wireless access and due to our location this will never be possible. We currently gain internet access through dongles. Due to this i was thinking the only way we could use this facility would be to capture photos / videos on iPhones with sims, which would go against our policy. I suppose it would be possible to still capture in obs in this way on sim free handsets and then upload later.

Out of interest which one did you trial and what did you think of it?

Sorry Lucy I missed your reply earlier.

The comments you made make more sense now. The one we used didn't need access immediately but that did mean it wasn't as simple to use as the one step approach as we then had to link to the computer and upload the entries at a later point in time. In fairness this was as big a leap of faith in the staff as it would be to use a sim card device as the uploading had to be done away from the setting so essentially anyone could have done anything with the info in addition to uploading it to the online records. For my setting this was a risk we decided was worth taking as it wasn't much different to sending a member of staff off to get the images printed off and not knowing where they might have gone on the journey. I don't mean to sound flippant with my comments here but the decision had to be taken, given the limitations of our setting, as to how much we trusted our staff. The whole process was discussed at length and our policy was written to reflect the discussions and the situation we found ourselves in. Parents were happy with our decisions but also had the opportunity to opt out if they wanted to. I assume your staff don't ever take the photos, cameras or learning journeys out of the setting? For us this was an impossibility so the risks had to be managed and the workload made manageable for the staff.

For your info we used one from this company www.lindenmayer.eu I liked it, but ultimately cost was a huge issue for us as we were such a small setting.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something i want to develope for my website. Where parents can log in to their childs secure page and view the days pictures, observations, eyfs tracker etc etc when ever they want. I could achieve this quite easily, apart from the secure log in feature im struggling with!

It would basically be an online development file, where parents could even leave their comments and observations from home life which would be a huge advantage in my opinion.. even a far as the parents can view the meals, creations, accident forms, incident forms online maybe too.. basically everything they could need.

The only issue is the security!!

Right after a few moments to myself thinking how this could be done easily, i came up with a solution of my own social network, powered by ning.com

It is basically a facebook type environment, where pictures, text, videos, blogs, etc etc.. can be incorperated for each child.. much like a learning journal online :D

It is secure enough (to the extent that the internet is secure) and it works like this:

It is an invite only network. So i would ask the parents/carers if they would like to join, and if i didn't have their email already, would get it from them. I then invite them to the network, to which they need to sign up.. using a password of course. I explain to the parent/carer that i require the password also.. so we can both access this child's account. These passwords are written down and stored away securely.

OK now the setting of this child's profile.. is set to "me only" much like you can on facebook.. meaning nobody else on the network can see information you want private.. although the only people on this network will be the nursery children, parents, and nursery staff.. i don't think much can be leaked. No date's of birth, addresses, or personal information is used btw.. unless parents/carers don't mind.

Now hopefully many parents/carers will see the benefit.. and join. Now this is where the fun begins... There is a chat function just like facebook.. and because i own this network, my master account is always online for all to communicate with.. also keyworkers accounts would be online possibly.. and parents can interact via either instant messaging, or private messaging facilities. (NO MORE PHONECALLS??)

Right.. now each few days.. the child profile (timeline) will be updated with pics of their daily activities, and even how they progressed.. also parents might want to upload pics of their home life hopefully.. so we can take progression from this...

I was also wanting to take short videos of the children at work.. which is the best observation you could get right??

Anyways, you get the idea.. so what do you think.. like to add, or shoot me down for security risks..etc... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I've been looking at some things like this - I found an app on the iphone 2simple EYFS, but costings of ipod/iphone per room and parents having access too. I looked at online blogging for the children too - however really like the idea of a social network that is completly private!

Sorry for late reply's, i have been away on my holidays.

The social network is simple to do using ning.com because they have done all the hard work, and all you need to do is style it how you like and design it as required.. it does cost approx £20 per month for the network size you need etc.. but it is nothing for this kind of service.. i have many parents signed up now and they love being able to access there childs page, and leave comments and home pics etc..

uk.ning.com/ is the website and they have now just released a even better mobile accessable version which people love to use on the go...

Hi

Thank you for sharing this it's really interesting.

Please keep us informed of how it's going? Presumably, you get to monitor parental comments etc?

We all know that fb etc can become just a sounding board for any daily moans, gossip etc. I'm not speaking personally or talking about Nursery, just generally in some people's lives.

I would love to have something like this but am concerned about this side as everything else sounds fantastic!

We have a website that does what you're looking for. We created it through moonfruit.com and we have a members only section that parents can access and view photographs and information. We have a weekly blog that informs parents of the things we have been doing over the week and how they can support their childs learning at home to reinforce and continue. We paid £36 for the year but I think the subscription has jumped up but they had offers last August which they might do again. It was simple to set up and manage. Good luck

Yes it sounds very similar, and a great price, but i have just checked it out and it is a free website builder from what i can see.. im sure there are other options as you have used though..

As regards to the comments being left on the one i use, only the nursery and the parent(s) can see their childs activity, comments, etc etc.. unless the security settings are changed from "just me" like on fb.. also has the owner of the ning network you create, you have total control over it, and can approve comments, pics, blogs, groups etc etc as you wish.. it is very very good.. and if any body needs any help to set it up etc.. give me a shout..

PS i am not on commission from ning lol... it is just one of the best network creators i found in the short time i searched.

Yes it sounds very similar, and a great price, but i have just checked it out and it is a free website builder from what i can see.. im sure there are other options as you have used though..

As regards to the comments being left on the one i use, only the nursery and the parent(s) can see their childs activity, comments, etc etc.. unless the security settings are changed from "just me" like on fb.. also has the owner of the ning network you create, you have total control over it, and can approve comments, pics, blogs, groups etc etc as you wish.. it is very very good.. and if any body needs any help to set it up etc.. give me a shout..

PS i am not on commission from ning lol... it is just one of the best network creators i found in the short time i searched.

i am loving this ning thing and am pretty sure I will be setting something similar up just need to get my head around the whole individual child profile thing, does this work because only the parent and yourself is registered to look at a part of the site or can every parent registered look at each others pages/photos?

Yes basically once set up.. you can send invite links out (providing you make your network invite only like me) to parents emails.. they then set an account up.. but explain to use a secure password that they will also be sharing with you. So you both have access to the childs account. Then you can set the childs account to "just me" in any areas required.. ie pictures, comments etc... and this ensures nobody else can see the pics, comments on the network... this can obviously be changed to suit the parent/carers...

You then simply log into the profile required, add pictures, comments, blog comments, groups, events, whatever... and log out.. then the parents can later on og in and see all this info..

You also get a master account as the network creator.. which lets you supervise, and add comments that all can see.. and also chat to whoever is logged in, just like facebook... amongst other things.

Hope this explains it well enough :D

thank you, sounds pretty straightforward so might go for it

further thought, with ning did you have to sign up for a minimum contract and how easy is it to cancel if it doesn't work out?

Edited by max321

With Ning you can cancel when ever you want.. there are different packages you can sign up for.. i chose the middle one because of the space reuired for pictures and videos when uploading, but at £16 per month (approx??) it is a bargain :) it will let you have all this information in the sign up process regarding cancelling etc..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)